Sore Muscles: ice/heat/epsom salts?

Options
kiela64
kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
What's best for sore muscles after a workout, in your opinion/experience? An ice pack, a heating pad, or an epsom salt bath?

Replies

• oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Is it an injury or DOMs? If it's DOMs (delayed onset muscle soreness) - light cardio to keep the blood flowing (e.g. a nice walk, nothing too strenuous), foam rollering/trigger point, occasionally I do Epsom salt baths but that's mostly because I just like baths!

I have some level of DOMs all the time (I workout six days a week doing various things). My routine to manage DOMs is to foam roller every day, stretch with every gym session, do yin yoga a few times a week (SO good for tight, sore muscles) and a long active recovery walk once a week. But I'm a gym bunny and also trying to keep previous injuries from flaring up. If you're just starting out, I'd suggest some light cardio and stretching. A bath is always nice too.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    @oh_happy_day I have one injury that I'm icing (had it for 2 years now...annoying thing tendonitis is) but I also have sore muscles just from exercising. It wasn't delayed though, they were sore on my bus ride home. So idk what that means... I was checking about sore muscles, so I guess the DOM thing?

Ah, cool! Where do you find foam rollers?
  • oh_happy_day
    Options
    Your gym might have some so you can try them out first. They're usually stashed near the core or stretcYou can order them from heaps of places online - I'm in a different country to you so just hop on Google. There are different 'strengths', some are much firmer and have rubber spikes on them. I don't recommend starting with those! Ouch! I also have a small rubber ball which I use for my calves bf suss that's a problem area for me. There are heaps of instructional videos which show you how to foam roller.

Here's an article that explains DOMs
    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/injuries/a/doms.htm
  • oh_happy_day
    Options
    Sorry about the typos, I'm on my phone and it distorted!
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    So heat works for aching in muscles...love epsom salts and soak in a bath tub as well. Ice for swelling and also elevation for said swelling. I am intrigued by the whole foam roller thing....going to google it later. I also stretch a lot. light exercise really helps with soreness and fatigue. It you are fighting fatigue or soreness in a particular area, run ice cold water from a shower over that body part. Also ice water will refresh your feet...unbelievable...also walking on grass covered with dew in bare feet...you will feel rejuvenated.
  • dorothybooth
    dorothybooth Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    For general exercise aches: I draw up a bath with Epsom salt nearly straight hot water. I soak until it is barely warm. I have a jacuzzi tub so it's really deep too (easy to fully submerge my whole body). I do some light stretching in the water. I follow up the soak with some icy hot. I make sure to do some light cardio everyday (even on rest days). Even if all I do is an easy walk.

For injury: I alternate heat and cold compress, elevate and rest.