Within the calorie... Not losing weight!

Options
2»

Replies

• ItsmeDili
    ItsmeDili Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    A little bit up and down isn't abnormal, especially within the span of just a few days. Also, while I see people consistently pointing out (on this thread and others like it) that not losing weight means you're taking in more than you're burning, and advising to use food scales for everything and the like, I don't see anyone pointing out the painfully obvious: this site (or any other) cannot tell you exactly how many calories you burn in a day. It can create an estimate based on averages for your height, weight, gender, and activity level; but there is no way it can tell you exactly how much you, personally, burn. If you continue to work out and eat under the estimated calorie goal, and aren't losing weight, you might have to think about lowering your calorie goal or not eating back your exercise calories at all.

I specifically included that in my advice. I'm starting to think that no one reads posts beyond a certain length anymore. I use that copy/paste a lot in threads like these. Is there something that I could add or reword to make that more useful?

I read your post and it was very useful!
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    I specifically included that in my advice. I'm starting to think that no one reads posts beyond a certain length anymore. I use that copy/paste a lot in threads like these. Is there something that I could add or reword to make that more useful?

your post was a whole screen on my laptop, I didn't read most of it so guilty as charged. I'm sure it's very comprehensive but with 7 links etc I think it's just a bit much for me personally to engage with.

We do live in the SMS / Twitter generation, think 160 characters or less perhaps ?

If people are too lazy to read good advice that could genuinely help them, then that is their problem. Living in the 'SMS / Twitter generation' is no excuse NOT to give comprehensive and useful advice. If people can't be bothered to read it, then they only have themselves to blame when they don't learn anything or carry on making the mistake that is holding them back.

OP, our weight fluctuates based on various many different factors; i notice if i eat heavy later than i usually do, i will see a gain, or at certain points round my TOM i gain a few pounds, despite not doing anything differently. I have to say, i have never experienced a gain after starting a new exercise routine, but a lot of people do (and everyone is different!). It will come right off again, but you just need to be patient.

If it doesn't come off in a few days, then it may be time to look at the accuracy of your logging or exercise burns. Good luck!

*Edited to say you're not even the OP Yarwell, whom the advice was intended to anyway (and who apparently found it very useful :p)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    A little bit up and down isn't abnormal, especially within the span of just a few days. Also, while I see people consistently pointing out (on this thread and others like it) that not losing weight means you're taking in more than you're burning, and advising to use food scales for everything and the like, I don't see anyone pointing out the painfully obvious: this site (or any other) cannot tell you exactly how many calories you burn in a day. It can create an estimate based on averages for your height, weight, gender, and activity level; but there is no way it can tell you exactly how much you, personally, burn. If you continue to work out and eat under the estimated calorie goal, and aren't losing weight, you might have to think about lowering your calorie goal or not eating back your exercise calories at all.

Then you havent been round long and cant have read many threads. The normal statement is.
    1.You are eating more than you think.= get a food scale then weigh and log everything.
    2. Or you are burning less than you think= eat 50% back of MFP calories AND adjust as needed.
    3. Weight loss is not linear, so learn how to be patient. In this case 1 weeks is a very short time.

Whilst an accurate exercise burn count would be helpful, then a reasonable estimate is good enough.
    I see people telling others to adjust and use some common sense all the time.

Dianne dont worry if people cant be bothered to read its their loss. On that note the OP states she has read it and found it useful, so it obviously wasnt too long.
  • FitFroglet
    FitFroglet Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    ItsmeDili wrote: »
    A week ro two is well within the time frame that you'd expect to see a stall or slight gain from water retention (new exercise routine, perhaps?). It's probably nothing to worry about.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10196160/scale-stress-syndrome/p1

Other than that, the most common problems we see come from underestimating calories eaten and overestimating calories burned.

Opening your diary might help to get you more specific advice if you're comfortable doing so.

You're logging everything you eat? Including condiments, cooking oils, veggies, cheat days, etc? Are you using a food scale, measuring cups, or eyeballing your portion sizes? Most people can be off in their estimates by several hundred calories when they eyeball portions. Measuring cups are better, but a food scale is going to be the most accurate.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1290491-how-and-why-to-use-a-digital-food-scale/p1

And make sure that you've calculated your calorie goals appropriately. Remember that these are just estimates. You may need to play around a little to find what works best for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1

If you're exercising and eating back your earned exercise calories, be sure that you're using accurate estimates of your burn. MFP and gym machines have a tendency to overestimate certain activities, which can cause you to eat back more calories than you need to. Even a heart rate monitor isn't 100% accurate. If you're eating those extra earned calories it might be a good idea to eat only 50-75% of those.

And there's something to be said for the fact that some people just burn fewer calories than the generic equations predict. If you're an outlier due to size, age, or medical issues, then it may be best to check with your doctor or get a referral to a registered dietitian who can give you more specific advice.

Thank you so much for your post!!! Specially the three articles you've posted! I don't weigh my food :( may be I have been eating too much or may be its water weight!!! I am going to order a kitchen digital scale to weigh my solid food now! Also... I think I need to be patient too.... Doing 30 minutes isn't easy for me and when the scales return no change I get frustrated! I was a size 8 (UK) 2 years back and now I am
    A size 14 - almost going to size 16!!!! I am not happy the way I am! I want to wear my old clothes again but it's going to take time! If it took 2 years to pile on the fat it's going to take time to lose it too!!!

Great advice given and great response and attitude from original poster - this made me smile!
    ItsMeDili - I think you have the right attitude to get there. No matter what happens to your weight the exercise is good for your health, keep it up!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    *Edited to say you're not even the OP Yarwell

So what ? Diane asked if her post could be improved and I expressed my opinion. The content was fine.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Give it another two weeks. If you still don't lose anything, either weigh all your food or drop your calories by 100/week until you begin losing.
  • gainesma
    gainesma Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I have been (mostly) within the daily calorie intake but haven't lost any weight since last week!! Since I started the weight loss journey I have been on crosstrainer for 30 minutes 6 days a week.,, I do sometimes eat back my calories but not excessively! Not sure what I am doing wrong!

■■■■■
    1. Water
    2. Sleep not adequate
    3. Eat to lose, but cut sugar & carbs
    4. To much insulin in your body? It's not uncommon even in thin active athletes.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options

So what ? Diane asked if her post could be improved and I expressed my opinion. The content was fine.

You're not the OP. Don't derail the thread. She gave good advice and nutrition can't be explained in 160 characters or less.
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Stop eating back your calories. Stick with the goal that works for you. For example I eat 1500 cal a day or less. I exercise but I don't log it. I do insanity six days a week. I average a good 4 pound loss because of it.
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Also make sure you're getting enough protein anywhere between 80-120.. Make sure you're eating more fats than carbs.. Healthy fats a coconut,nuts in general, avocado etc.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,962 Member
    Options

I don't think it was too long plus the links did a great job of breaking it up.

However, I do remember reading that people just read the first five lines of an email so maybe make sure you have what you want most to convey on the top.

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »

You're not the OP. Don't derail the thread. She gave good advice and nutrition can't be explained in 160 characters or less.

Meh. I did ask for advice on the post. And yarwell has a point. It could be more effective if I shortened it or stuck with the flowchart or a bulleted list. If anyone derailed the thread it was me. I shouldn't have grumped about my copy/paste advice in this thread since the OP did read it and find it useful. And I apologize for taking the thread down that road.

Hope you're headed in the right direction now, OP! :flowerforyou:
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    gainesma wrote: »
    Hi all! I have been (mostly) within the daily calorie intake but haven't lost any weight since last week!! Since I started the weight loss journey I have been on crosstrainer for 30 minutes 6 days a week.,, I do sometimes eat back my calories but not excessively! Not sure what I am doing wrong!

■■■■■
    1. Water
    2. Sleep not adequate
    3. Eat to lose, but cut sugar & carbs
    4. To much insulin in your body? It's not uncommon even in thin active athletes.

While it is important to drink enough water and get enough sleep, it's not necessary to cut sugar and carbs. Insulin isn't a problem for the majority of the population.
  • momar23
    momar23 Posts: 292 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

I read your post and it was very useful!

^^ your post was useful
  • MirandaD0313
    MirandaD0313 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You have to burn more then you eat. Try to burn at least 200 or 300 more calories then you eat. Sounds difficult but you always burn calories while sleeping and doing the simplest activities.