Goal met...only 8 weeks in the making

Options
Woodman725
Woodman725 Posts: 288 Member
Not sure if this belongs in the exercise thread, but anyway here it is. About 8 weeks ago I started doing pull-ups. I have been working out for about a year and a half, but mostly cardio routines. Boxing, kickboxing, interval and just this year started to join the forge(weights) class since I'm close to my goal weight. I read an article in a magazine about working up to doing lots of pull-ups, I believe it was muscle and fitness. I didn't really follow the routine exactly, but it made me really want to see how many I could do. I think I tried a pull-up maybe a year ago and did one, embarrassed I never tried any more.
So now, my arms and shoulders are strong from doing lots of boxing, pushups and burpees....right??? Well, I stood below the bar, reached up and pulled and managed to actually do 3 my first time, and I was about to pop some veins in my neck on the 3rd one with several kicks and everything. Well I set my sights on 10 and today was the day!!! I think I could have eaked out 1 more, but really didn't want to blow out any neck veins. The first 5 were so easy, almost like cheating, 6,7,8 were really pushing but still in the zone and 9 was a bit slower then with a small flick of the feet....10!!!
8 weeks ago, I was only about 6 lbs lighter, so I don't think that was much of a factor, but still I did it. What a great NSV!! What goals are you working on or accomplished lately?
I think I'm going for 20 next......

Replies

• julie_a_griffin
    julie_a_griffin Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic! Well done *is very jealous* I have goot upper body strength, but I just have too much weight to lift at the moment, lol. Hopefully will be able to start doing those at some point.

Well done :D
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Ah!! That's so exciting Jeff!!!! Kudos! ...Yea, I don't really have goals. I can't reach the pull up bars :D
  • Woodman725
    Options
    LAME Jenn:ohwell: I know you can jump... Get to it girl!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Great job, pull-ups are a great strength builder. What are you doing for your triceps / chest?

I remember a time when I was obese and couldn't even do 1 pull up. I tested last saturday and did 15, though the last two weren't very pretty. I am doing the www.stronglifts.com workout to gain back the 20 lbs of muscle I've lost and to finish off the gut.
  • heatherseona
    heatherseona Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Way to go! It always feels great when we are getting stronger. :wink:
  • Woodman725
    Options
    Great job, pull-ups are a great strength builder. What are you doing for your triceps / chest?

I remember a time when I was obese and couldn't even do 1 pull up. I tested last saturday and did 15, though the last two weren't very pretty. I am doing the www.stronglifts.com workout to gain back the 20 lbs of muscle I've lost and to finish off the gut.

I am doing a full weekly weight routine, 2 days on 1 off switching muscle groups, so I get tri/chest along with all the other groups during the week.
    Basically the pull-up routine was start out with as many as you can do. Then for a week do 3 sets starting at that number minus one for each set. So the first week I did 3, then 2 then 1 with a short rest between. Then the next week add one if you can. So my second week was 4,3,2.
  • run_momma_run
    run_momma_run Posts: 319
    Options
    My goals are currently on the treadmill. I am doing HIIT and my first HIIT goal is that I want to try to hit 550 calories in 60 minutes or less.

Yesterday was day #1 and I did 8 sprints in 40 minutes and only got to 505 calories in 73 minutes before my kids were too disruptive for me to continue. This morning I did 10 sprints in 40 minutes and I hit 550 calories in 78 minutes.

So I have to try to shave off 18 minutes to reach my goal. It's going to take me a few weeks, I'm sure... But I'm gonna plug away!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!