Optifast 900

for those of you who don't know what Optifast 900 is, it's a 6 - 12week program. You are followed closely by doctors and go to class/group once a week for 3hours. On these shakes you're only consuming 900caloriea a day and going into a mild state of keytosis. While on these shakes you can only consume an extra 20calories a day and upto a 1/4cup of skim milk.

Needless to say the craving for regular food is amazing. Haha, I deal with it pretty well and when I have a huge craving I go to my room and watching something or take a nap. That being said my sister and her boyfriend are ALWAYS ordering out and the smell travels to my room.

My question here would be:
When cravings are high...and you can't have anything else until your next shake. How do you cope?

Replies

• KiwiAlexP
    KiwiAlexP Posts: 186 Member
    Eat something
  • emilygreer830
    emilygreer830 Posts: 2 Member
    Is that supposed to be funny? I'm working really hard at loosing weight if I eat something now I'll go out of my keytosis state and fail my goals. Nice though thank you for the not so helpful advice
  • VanillaGorilla808
    VanillaGorilla808 Posts: 51 Member
    Is there any urgent medical need that requires you to approach weightloss with such an extreme fashion? my advice would be to eat 1200-1600 calories and exercise this sounds somewhat dangerous. Either way however its your choice. To answer your question though water with a bit of lemon helps me when Im hungry
  • jenpeteparis
    jenpeteparis Posts: 2 Member
    Emily, I've been doing Optifast since early May. At first it was difficult, and now I'm enjoying it and experience few cravings. How much water do you drink? I have about 125 ounces a day; I'm always drinking water! That really helps keep me feeling full. Also, are you spacing out the shakes at regular intervals -- every three hours or so? I have mine at 9, 12, 3 and 6 (approximately), and it helps SO much. You can do it!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    you can enter ketosis without using shakes,its called eating low carb and you can eat more than 900 calories a day as well.you get real food this way as well. 900 calories a day is not enough calories unless you are under the care of a dr.but your choice,obviously if you are hungry your body is telling you it needs more calories/nutrients.
  • JuliaDH16
    JuliaDH16 Posts: 1 Member
    I just started my medically supervised program. How are you doing Emily?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    You are eating too little. Women need a least 1200 calories a day to be healthy during weight loss. Please be good to yourself and eat, eat food, not too much, but enough.

VLCDs aren't even allowed in here. The thread may be removed.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    What are you doing to prevent yourself losing lean body mass and just wasting away?
    Whats your plan for after the diet dp you avoid regaining?
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Uh, this whole website is devoted to counting calories and making reasonable and sustainable lifestyle changes. We really are not obsessive.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Please don't listen to the trolls. You can very safely eat or drink 900 calories a day and get all your nutrients. That's what Optifast is, duh. The people on this board only advocate obsessively counting calories to lose weight, which is another way of developing disordered eating. Very sad.

I drink ice water with lemon when I feel I may be hungry. That usually carries me over to a meal. I did Optifast over 20 years ago and lost a ton of weight. The whole program was great. Good luck to you!
    can I ask why you joined then? not trying to be rude just wondering since this is what this website is for. counting calories and eating 1200 calories or above(its not recommended to eat less that that). which is one reason why it wont give you any less that a 1200 caloric allowance unless a glitch happens.

• yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    I sip a hot cup sugar free tea, black coffee or sugar free chewing gum, I use slim fast in a similar way but more calories. Best of care on doing what's right for you. And if your doctor approves and is over seeing your program or not I dont see the problem as long as it's helping you in the healthiest way possible. Ignore the negative and stick with the positive. I notice positives on the weight loss apps and sites, but I'm starting to notice to many negative people as well. I wouldn't even respond to them if their just judging not answering uour question and have no real input. Keep hhjjp the hood work☺