Need Advice!!

Options
I have been maintaining for a few months now but since I got home from holiday in June I can't keep within my calories and over eat. I don't seem to have any will power. I have been doing so much with friends and family and although I'm glad I'm enjoying the summer I need to control my eating. I've put on a few pounds which I was completely expecting but I just need something to kick me back into the MFP mind frame I was so focused on before. Anyone had anything similar!

Replies

• rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I could have written this myself! Am awaiting replies as you are
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    At the end of May I had a vacation. I ate out at least once a day. Had dessert at least once a day (sometimes twice!). There has been a lot of weekend family events that involve tasty food.

I usually eat around 1900-2000 calories/day. I trimmed back to 1850-1900/day in an to give myself a little wiggle room on the weekends. I dropped the pound I gained on vacation and am still on track.

My goal is recomp: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

Maybe you need a fitness goal to keep your mind focused?
  • Samm471
    Samm471 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'm recently just back from holiday and I gained 3lbs I ate okay but it could have been a lot better & I also had a bit of alcohol .. I eat 1623 calories a day well I'm always just under. It was hard because I tried to exercise as much as possible but only got a few runs in and a couple of laps at swimming which isn't a lot when I'm used to going to the gym 5/6 days a week!
    I just came home and threw myself back into everything again the eating properly and the gym. Just focus on your goal that should mean more than the over eating or going over on calories .. It's hard but fight the temptation want the body more than the food that's what I always tell myself. It could take weeks months years but this is a lifestyle change not a temporary change. Good luck :)
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    I went on vacay for a week at the beginning of the month. Definitely indulged in food and alcohol most every day. Once I got back, I started right back up and didn't weigh myself for a full 4 days and ended up pretty much right where I was pre-vacay. If you get it back together right away it's surprisingly easy to shed the vacay bloat.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    If you use an iPhone, set Siri to remind you several times throughout the day to watch / log your calorie intake. Use the notes app to track your calories while you are away from the computer. That way, when you have time, you can refer back to your notes. Have some friends on here encourage you to do the same through the MFP app. That way, you will get real time messages from the app. Outside of that, the real burden is on you.
  • tayloralanj
    tayloralanj Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Drink water, stay away from processed foods, exercise, and get some sleep.
  • dearmrsowl
    dearmrsowl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have been off track for a couple of weeks now. Life has been way too hectic to focus on eating and exercise. I gained about 5lb and my first goal now is to lose those again. I can't seem to find enough energy to go back to working out which makes me kind of mad because I always enjoyed it. Now I'm hoping that through reading through some posts and just getting back on MFP more often I can get motivated again.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Okay woman, I'll give you my standard. You've lost 29 pounds! Go to the grocery and stuff a 25 pound bag pound of cat litter down your pants, then grab a 5 pounder off the shelf (you can carry that). Walk up and down the isles of that grocery store. EVERY ISLE. Bet when you get to the front door, your motivation will be lying right there waiting for you :smiley:

WTG on your loss!
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Okay woman, I'll give you my standard. You've lost 29 pounds! Go to the grocery and stuff a 25 pound bag pound of cat litter down your pants, then grab a 5 pounder off the shelf (you can carry that). Walk up and down the isles of that grocery store. EVERY ISLE. Bet when you get to the front door, your motivation will be lying right there waiting for you :smiley:

WTG on your loss!

OP you might have to purchase the cat litter afterwards though because it's been down your pants. Do you own a cat? :)
  • susan_marar
    susan_marar Posts: 1 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Don't stress about gaining a few pounds because you are on vacation. It happens to most of us. Just keep yourself focused on your overall goal which should be living a healthy lifestyle. I find it works best for me when I do not let myself feel deprived. If it feels like a diet you will fail. I use to weigh over 220 pounds and now I am at around 159 pounds and wear a size 6. I have kept the weight off for 2.5 years. You can eat the foods you love but in moderation. For example if you eat out, choose one fatty item you are craving but hold back on the sugary drinks and extras. Eat that burger but order a salad on the side - skip the fries. If you can't skip the fries share a side fry with your friend to kill your craving. You can get back on track, just start slow. Start making the gym a regular part of your life again like brushing your teeth. Best wishes. You can do it!!
  • charitys_aloette
    charitys_aloette Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You have to give yourself some wiggle room, sometimes. I was off for about three weeks and back to my previous weight within one week. Only you can make the decision to get back on track. I've battle with weight my entire adult life and recognize that now. The biggest motivation for me is really sucking in the gym.
  • lauraloy2013
    lauraloy2013 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. All great advice there. Love the advice about carrying around 30lbs, really puts into perspective what I've lost already. I suppose the more pressure I put on myself to stay with it the harder it'll be. I've been doing this for 2 years so I guess I just need to have faith that I'll get back into!!
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I second lauraloy2013, thanks for the support and advice, I'm starting this week with a better mindset and remembering why I started this journey in the first place
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Sometimes if you try too hard success won't come. Give yourself a break and gradually get back to eating like you were. BTW, I had a bowl of Cheerios before I left for church this morning; it was Brotherhood breakfast day and they had leftovers of bacon, eggs and small pancakes--I ate some, YUM. B)