Protein Leverage and Exercise

Options
Mr_Knight
Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
edited July 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I was thinking about this...a number of us here have self-reported about how much easier it is for us to succeed at weight management when we have fairly vigorous exercise habits. I'm wondering if it might relate to the "protein leverage" hypothesis.

Let me 'splain...

The protein leverage hypothesis suggests protein consumption is the driving force in appetite, so that the lower the protein content of your food, the longer/stronger your appetite will remain, because the body really wants to meet its protein needs.

What I find after vigorous exercise is that I don't want just any food - I specifically want protein-y food. Anybody who's spent time with a pregnant woman - you know what I'm talking about - there are times not just any food will satisfy the craving. *My* most satisfying after-workout intake is a protein-berry smoothie.

So by exercising I'm unconsciously driving myself towards food choices that minimize the caloric intake predicted by the protein leverage hypothesis.

There's obviously lots of supposition happening here (for one, the protein leverage hypothesis hasn't been fully established), so this is really just a Gedankenexperiment. But I thought it was an interesting way to relate two different concepts with each other.

Take it, leave it, demolish it, it's all good!

:drinker:

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Protein is definitely important for my success and satisfaction. If I overdo carbs, they just seem to make me even hungrier! They burn off too fast.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    There was a similar post about some research on this a few days ago. It still seems a little hypothetical to me, as you said. But it's got enough going for it that I am willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. I do find that I do better when I eat plenty of protein.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Dont think so. This idea of it just been proteiny food just seems to be along the idea of wanting soemthing substantial. Exercise makes some people hungrier, but has little effect on others.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    I wonder if it's a learned behaviour - you exercise, you understand the body needs protein for muscle repair and other purposes, so you seek what it needs consciously or subconsciously because of this?
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I don't think so. I'm losing weight eating 400+ carbs a day and usually no more than about 100 protein.

I believe that if you are burning the calories it doesn't much matter where those calories come from as long as you eat to properly fuel whatever exercise program you have.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    No scientific evidence, and even anecdotal evidence is not consistent among all people.

For instance, after a hard workout, the only thing I crave is sugar. Like, immediately I want an Oreo Blizzard.

Protein has a role (an important one) and definitely affects satiety, but I don't think there's anything beyond that.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    I wonder if it's a learned behaviour - you exercise, you understand the body needs protein for muscle repair and other purposes, so you seek what it needs consciously or subconsciously because of this?

Entirely possible. Which would be an interesting result in and of itself.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    scottb81 wrote: »
    I don't think so. I'm losing weight eating 400+ carbs a day and usually no more than about 100 protein.

That's about double the protein RDA, and would be supportive of the hypothesis.
    I believe that if you are burning the calories it doesn't much matter where those calories come from as long as you eat to properly fuel whatever exercise program you have.

As soon as there's an "as long as" qualifier, it's no longer a "doesn't matter" claim. ;)
  • edwardetr
    edwardetr Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Protein and carbs work together after your workout. The carbs create an anabolic state that triggers your muscles to use the proteins for rebuilding. Are there carbs in your shake?
  • 999tigger
    Options
    So who else has this protein drive right after exercise? Is it for any reason other than you know you want to keep your protein levels up for muscle repair reasons? Is there anyone who wants protein specififcally to limit their calorific intake as suggested?
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    It's an interesting hypothesis and the studies suggest it's possible but it doesn't seem like there's anything near conclusive. If you think back to the early 90's (I think) when higher carb & low fat diets were "the thing", obesity in the USA jumped to something like 35% I believe. Protein doesn't seem to be the issue there. It's been a while since I've seen the data, so it might not be 35% but it was definitely double-digits. There are a couple studies that have looked at consuming protein amounts in the range of 4 grams per kilogram of bodyweight and found no adverse affects on body weight. It will be interesting to see how this research progresses and what the larger body of evidence suggests.
  • 999tigger
    Options
    So I see there is an actual protein leverage hypothesis, but it differs from the angle the OP has chosen to post. If you accept the fact there is a minimum level of protein people try and eat everyday, then its used as one explanation of why people eat excess calories because they fill up on carbs and less protein but higher calorific foods. More calories, more chance of exceeding maintenance = more weight.

It then diverges a lot from what the OP is saying.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    scottb81 wrote: »

That's about double the protein RDA, and would be supportive of the hypothesis.

As soon as there's an "as long as" qualifier, it's no longer a "doesn't matter" claim. ;)
    Even 100 grams of protein is much less than what normally passes for conventional wisdom on MFP given my current weight, 78 kg.

But you're right about my second point, LOL.

What I was trying to say is high protein and the resultant low carbs is not some secret to weight loss. Rather, eating less than you burn while eating the right combination for your fitness program (so that you don't crash) is the secret.

What is working for me is approx 1.2 grams protein per kg of body weight with as many carbs as I can manage at a reasonable deficit. Carbs I try to get mostly from fruits and vegetables so my calorie contribution from fat stays somewhat low. (I'm not inferring that the fat is bad, just that if I eat too much I can't eat as many carbs).