Extreme Makeover Weight Loss Edition

Options
MLouis1
MLouis1 Posts: 108 Member
I loved last night's show. The girl was on Good Morning America this a.m. She lost more than 150 lbs. in over a year. It is a completely different approach than Biggest Loser. It is repeating either Friday or Saturday night. I liked that he (the trainer) worked with her, but ultimately it was her responsibility. Her brother was wonderful, he supported her the whole way. Her mom lost 50 lbs. but wasn't crazy about jumping on the healthy eating program. When he cleaned out the frig, mom had a mini-stroke.

Replies

• hollyknouse
    hollyknouse Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I loved it and can't wait until next week!
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Crap! I forgot to set my DVR! I'll have to catch the rerun this weekend.
  • lsd007
    lsd007 Posts: 435
    Options
    Crap! I forgot to set my DVR! I'll have to catch the rerun this weekend.

What she said!
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I loved it!! Kind of like biggest loser but all the progress, struggles, transformations shown in one episode. Thought was great! Love watching shows like that as they prove ANYTHING is possible!!!!
  • AmberBarrios
    AmberBarrios Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I thought it was a great show and liked the approach they took also by giving her the information and tools to accomplish her goal but leaving it up to her. Just didn't like that they didn't mention that the Bridge to Nowhere hike is a 13 mile round trip hike that is not by any means easy! She didn't even look like she had broken a sweat when she got to the bridge! But yeah for her!!!
  • JFoster26
    JFoster26 Posts: 13
    Options
    I really enjoyed the show. She saved her own life. What an inspiration! The trainer was awesome. Mom made me a little crazy with the "on again, off again" support and, I agree, her brother was SO sweet! He made me tear up a little when he wouldn't eat his dessert in front of her because she couldn't have any.

I'm looking forward to next week!
  • Achlys101
    Achlys101 Posts: 44
    Options
    I wanted to watch it so bad, but i didn't know when it was going to be on. I love biggest loser because the diet even for family members have fast results. 150lbs over a year equals 2.88 pounds a week which is slow but steadly. This show seems like its more realistic but I know people who did the biggest loser diet and stuff who lost weight fast and kept it off.
  • bjscmg
    bjscmg Posts: 77
    Options
    I caught the last 30 minutes of it. I set my dvr for next week tho. I wish we could all have a trainer like him and then get all our excess fat skin removed....I can dream, right? lol
  • VeryKerri
    VeryKerri Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I tried out for this show...... but didnt make the cut. I didnt get to see it, but hopefully will catch a re-run.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great approach to show how long term weight loss should and can happen!

I'm right on track to lose 75lbs in one year which averages out to 1.4lbs a week :D Not a bad weight loss curve if ya ask me. It's great to see a show showing this happen slow-ish and over time and not on a ranch sequestered from real life.
  • jaygirl3
    jaygirl3 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    yet to watch it....still downloading. The time zone difference was too much and couldnt stay up till 2am!
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I wanted that recipe for the dumplings!
  • heatherseona
    heatherseona Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I wish it was a two hour show so that they could put more substance in it. But I enjoyed it. :smile:
  • kaytedawg05
    kaytedawg05 Posts: 209
    Options
    i like that it was all in one episode... she did well... and it was healthy & reasonable loss.... she still has a ways to go so i hope she doesn't stop where shes' at and I hope they keep up w her progress!
  • AmberBarrios
    AmberBarrios Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Another great thing about this show, like someone else mentioned, is that she still lived her life but learned how to incorporate healthly living into that and not being locked away for months at a time. I am sure that if all of us were locked away at the biggest loser ranch with nothing but exercise equipment and healthy food we could all drop tons of weight but this was more realistic for sure!
  • jrich1
    Options
    One thing it didnt really show, I know she tried to live her normal life, but during this time was she working or did she quit her job to do the weight loss? It almost seems like sure, if I didnt have a job and could workout for 8 hours a day I too could lose that much? I wish they would address that, because how feasable is it for someone to stop working for a year?
  • forgiven4life
    forgiven4life Posts: 451
    Options
    One thing it didnt really show, I know she tried to live her normal life, but during this time was she working or did she quit her job to do the weight loss? It almost seems like sure, if I didnt have a job and could workout for 8 hours a day I too could lose that much? I wish they would address that, because how feasable is it for someone to stop working for a year?

Well this particular girl was only 21 when she first started and was still living at home with her parents so I don't think she had a job.
  • MagsRad
    MagsRad Posts: 26
    Options
    I agree....I don't see how she could have had a job....she was working out 5-6 hours everyday! I loved this show and I love Biggest Loser; my only complaint is that it is not realistic for most people to be able to workout that many hours everyday since most people are at work at least 8-9 hours of the day.

But oh well, that is why we should be trying to lose 2 lbs a week and not 1-2 lbs per day.
  • Sonofabiscuit2
    Sonofabiscuit2 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    She is a PE teacher, they didn't talk about the job after the first 15 minutes. Also the emotional part for me was the boot camp breakdown. When she started bawling and kept going I was pulling for her, then that weigh in, where she only lost 3lbs and finally her brother giving up the dessert. I was disappointed in the mom and confused by dad, but definitely an interesting show.
  • jrich1
    Options

Well this particular girl was only 21 when she first started and was still living at home with her parents so I don't think she had a job.

She was a teacher, but I am guessing she quit her job.. and now is skinny'er and unemployed