Humidity

Options
Hello!

Does anyone know how humidity plays into calorie buring...or does everything just feel like more work? Is there any evidence of a higher RMR or working out calorie burn?

Replies

• kacollins1970
    kacollins1970 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Achlys101
    Achlys101 Posts: 44
    Options
    Good question, I would like to know myself as I live in MI and in the summer its very humid and hot.
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    Good question, I would like to know myself as I live in MI and in the summer its very humid and hot.

I live in Mich as well. It get sooo humid. Especially on days like today...ugh!
  • kaytedawg05
    kaytedawg05 Posts: 209
    Options
    after livnig in southern alabama for 9 years... my opinion is that it doesn't matter enough to count... makes it feel more difficult to breathe & our sweat doesn't evaporate so we feel ucky... but heat in general is going to make u hotter... which i'm sure more sweating= more water loss... i always felt like i was doing more in the heat & humidity... but again... i don't think it's really enough to count...
  • msuzie
    msuzie Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I live in Michigan, too! I can hardly breathe on days like today!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Does anyone know how humidity plays into calorie buring...or does everything just feel like more work? Is there any evidence of a higher RMR or working out calorie burn?

very minimal. Being cold actually burns more than being hot as the body shivers which burns caloires. You may lose more weight in high humidity but it is due to water loss, not calories burned, and the water weight will come back after a glass or so of liquid.
  • suzksell
    suzksell Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    According to this article, high humidity does make a person burn more calories.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/237548-calories-burned-running-45-minutes/
  • Chiclet26
    Chiclet26 Posts: 16
    Options
    I'm not 100% certain about this, especially humidity. But I do take a "hot yoga" class where yoga is done in a room that is heated to around 100 degrees, and you do have an increased heart rate and burn more calories because your body is working to keep cool on top of working to do the postures. Regular yoga, I burn around 300 calories in 90 min. With hot yoga I burn around 700 in 90 min. (with HR monitor)
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Your body works harder to cool its self off and warm it up. So Tempeture can play into that. I rarely turn the air on when I am working out or when I teach class. If I do it is set at 70 degrees or higher. Same with th heat
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    My HRM seems to think I burn more, probably because I have to work harder to breathe, which makes my heart rate go up more.
  • massmech8111
    Options
    that is a great question...i would think not ..the human body is well suited to maintain your core temp while conserving energy..dehydration would be more of an issue..if there was any additional caloric burn from higher humidity it would (in my oppinion) be minimal at best..However there are studies of low temps causing additional caloric expendature..
  • JamieCRodriguez
    JamieCRodriguez Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    GREAT question. I live in San Antonio. The humidity here is insane and a lot of times I won't run when it's humid because it feels like torture. The thought of burning more calories might make it worth it for me. Thanks : )
  • massmech8111
    Options
    i didnt take into account the increased heart rate..
  • stefraab
    stefraab Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure, but I wondered if it would help with water retention?? I workout at home (P90) and I sweat a LOOOOOOT more the last couple days what with it being so friging hot and humid (no air conditioning).
  • ksweere
    ksweere Posts: 11
    Options
    thanks for all your insight everyone...seems like this is stillup for debate, all i know is that i only ran 2.5 miles this morning and i thought i was going to die - it took a solid 30 minutes for my face to turn back to a normal color, id rather run in the cold (its easier)....it would be pretty lame if it didnt up your burn...youre working harder.