workout gear/clothes for the BBW (250lbs+)

Options
thegreatmd
thegreatmd Posts: 30 Member
edited July 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Bigger girls have bigger gals that need to be kept in place. I had a bra I loved that fit, and of course they stopped making it.
Also... I need to find some spandexy-type shorts, as ugly as they might be, to cover my thunder thighs and prevent the Chaff. Suggestions?? Oh, I'm 5'9" and about 285 (like a size 22ish) bra 42DD

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Wal-Mart has spandex for bigger women. I can't help on bras because I'm in the same boat as you. They always quit making the bras I like! Why do they do this?? So frustrating. I just loved the Glamorize wonderwire for day-to-day. I miss that freaking bra.

I need new ones and must go shopping.
  • NatashaLP2014
    NatashaLP2014 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Old Navy has some great compression shorts and capris in plus sizes. My purple capris always make me feel great, though the sizes run a little small I found. I can't really help with the bra, even at my heaviest I was still only a D. Right now I just wear a sports bra from walmart, or two if I am going running.
  • thegreatmd
    thegreatmd Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Walmart! Good call... And there's always one nearby. I'll look into Old Navy but for most of their clothes I find my *kitten* is too big and my waist too small for their sizes so I'm always needing to pull them up.
  • mysticgypsy128
    mysticgypsy128 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Lola Getts is an excellent brand of plus-size work-out gear! Lane Bryant also has the Livi Active line.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    When I was that size, I was able to find things at Target that fit.

Sports bras don't work for me--I wear a regular/supportive/underwire bra with a shaper top. It distributes the bounce and is much more comfortable if you are doing high-impact exercise.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I usually buy my bras online. I am a 36G! My fav is Enell which has front hooks. It isn't CUTE but it works well for me. I also like Panche. As far as workout clothes, Walmart to me has the best variety for my size 18/20 (US). Target doesn't carry the variety the did a few years go in plus/women sized workout clothes. Sometimes JCP and Sears have some items but it is more MISS than hit.
  • abelcat1
    abelcat1 Posts: 186 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    pst.... *try the Triumph Doreen bra* .... I absolutely love it. Super support and shaping... no more uniboob. It looks a bit retro, but trust me. When you are dressed you´ll look (and feel) super :D Figleaves.com carry the bra and ship in days. Both for everyday and low impact workout the bra Works fine. Because I now enjoy running I´ve invested in the Freya sportsbra. For high impact it´s nice to have the girls totally imobilized!!! I Wear both the triump and the freya when running now.... . Good luck ;-)
  • mewilliams11
    mewilliams11 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Lola Getts is an excellent brand of plus-size work-out gear! Lane Bryant also has the Livi Active line.

I agree with the Lane Bryant Livi Active line. This was a major problem of mine for a long time. I've worn double sport bras (so not comfortable) & still didn't get the support I was looking for. I decided to look at Lane Bryant since their clothes fit me well & I'm very happy with my Livi sports bra. I think it was about $40. It provides great support & lifts me up instead of completely mashing me flat!
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    fastfoodietofitcutie Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Old Navy doesn't fit me right so I'm not a fan. I've had the best luck with Junonia. They are super expensive but good quality. BTW, I'm in Lombard. :)
  • MarciBkonTrk
    MarciBkonTrk Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    FullBeauty.com just started a new line of active wear. Haven't tried it yet but the clothes, bras, etc. are every bit as cute as Kate Hudson's line.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    my first ones (at 260 and a DD cup) were danskin ones from walmart i think. they worked well and were comfortable.

the two i have no i bought off amazon (cant remember what they are off the top of my head)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Enell. Sometimes you can find them on sale at DiscountBras.com
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Amazon is your friend for bras. Put a bunch on a wish list and wait for the price to drop.

I got a panache and a Freya that I love for between $20-$30. I'm an F cup so I know the struggle to find a good bra. My favorite everyday bra is from elomi and I hear good things about their sports bras too.

Oh and I always go for the underwire sports bras. IMO compression bras suck.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    FullBeauty.com just started a new line of active wear. Haven't tried it yet but the clothes, bras, etc. are every bit as cute as Kate Hudson's line.

This is where I bought most of my clothes. They are an umbrella website that combines Woman Within, Roaman's, Jessica London, Swimsuitsforall, and Brylane Home. Also, check out Just My Size.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    When I was your size I got custom yoga pants from these people.

http://www.icecreamwear.com/fitness/yoga/clothing/women/home

Made me happy.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
  • Liftin4food
    Liftin4food Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I've tried quite a few out (I say quite a few - but I'm an f cup - there aren't really all that many to chose from!) - but my favourite is my shock absorber run.

It's a bit of a mission to get on (it feels like a yoga workout!!), but once it's on there it's supportive and comfortable! Before this bra I didn't believe it was possible to find a sport bra that was both!

• tizzylish1975
    tizzylish1975 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Lane Bryant sells decent sports bras, with and without underwire. I love the ones I got there. I've tried the cheaper ones from Wal-Mart and always end up returning them - no support. :(
  • Monsterdog1114
    Monsterdog1114 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Moving Comfort Maia bra. Goes up to 44E. My 42DD's are very happy!

I love Walmart's Danskin Now line. Always have, bigger or smaller. Full cut, many styles have pockets, very reasonable price.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Moving Comfort Maia bra. Goes up to 44E. My 42DD's are very happy!

I love Walmart's Danskin Now line. Always have, bigger or smaller. Full cut, many styles have pockets, very reasonable price.

Second Danskin, in general. Come in all different sizes, lengths, everything.