Macros and Carbs??

Options
There is so much contradicting information out there on how much carbs one should eat while restricting calories...And what the percentage of each major macro(protein, fat, carbs) should be! At first I heard you should try to eat few carbs and lots of protein if u wanna gain muscle and lose fat simultaneously...so I had my macro goals on here set to 15% carbs, 45% protein 40% fat.

But then, I kept going over the 15% because I found it near impossible to eat that few carbs in a day(one oatmeal bowl and some veggies would basically send me close to my limit) So I did more research and a lot of sources say a good amount of carbs are good as long as they are complex carbs, which your body utilizes better and won't get turned to fat as easily...Now my goals are 30% carbs, 40% protein, 30% fat...
What is the right approach to carbs if I want to lose a lot of fat but add some lean muscle(I'm 226 pounds with a huge gut) Thanks guys

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Carbs fill your glycogen and give you high workout intensity. So carbs indirectly help with muscle growth. It comes down to personal preference on the carbs though, some find they don't do well in high carbs, but you don't sound like one of those people.

I have had my macros at 1.0g protein per pound weight, .25g fat per pound weight, and the rest in carbs and I feel great on that. With high energy when lifting. So you could try that as a starting point.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    you can low carb if you choose, but it certainly isn't necessary. carbs tend to be an easy macro-nutrient to "flex"...for example, i eat about the same amount of protein and fat regardless of my weight management goals...so when I cut, I tend to reduce carbs in order to cut calories...but I've never been low carb.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    As a side note. I stay away from highly processed and refined carbs while cutting or I'll be hungry all day. I save them for a cheat meal. I am going to add those back in when bulking because I have the extra calories for them.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    It all depends on you. What gives you the most energy and is the most filling and satisfying. I have found that people seem to forget that there is a whole range of carb macros and you don't have to choose between high carb and low carb, you can eat anything in between as long as it fulfills your needs and goals.

Personally, I eat moderate carb. My macro is set at 35% carb (35% protein and 30% fat). I am T2Dm and this is what my doctor recommended to manage my blood sugar. It has worked out really well for everything. I enjoy my meals and occasional treats. I am rarely hungry. I have enough energy to fuel my workouts. My blood sugar is in the normal range. Oh and:
    58841349.png
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I think the main goal would be to keep your CI<CO but not by a large amount or it will affect your ability to gain lean muscle - protein helps with that and you are probably set there.

Going low car can lead to slightly greater weight loss in the first 6 months but it basically evens out in the end. It sounds like LC isn't a good fit for you so avoiding it is probably a smart thing to do.

Good luck.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    You need to see what works best for you, which it sounds like you are doing. There's no one guideline that will work for everyone. I'm set at 30-30-40 (protein-fat-carbs) too, and this is working well for me. I've been steadily losing .5 to 1 pound a week. I am happiest when I can eat carbs.
  • arb037
    arb037 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    If you are in a calorie deficit, then you are "cutting" (trying to lose fat) and are not going to be " gaining muscle.
    I would look up the ketogenic diet and the benefits of being in ketosis.
    Carbohydrates are not needed by the body whatsoever. Protein and fat are.
  • SunnyPacheco
    SunnyPacheco Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    arb037 wrote: »
    If you are in a calorie deficit, then you are "cutting" (trying to lose fat) and are not going to be " gaining muscle.

No, all three macronutrients are necessary for a healthful lifestyle. What percentage of your diet comes from carbs is more based on what your body functions best on. Do some experimenting and maybe pay attention to your energy levels and performance when you exercise specifically. I've seen a lot of threads about people having low energy when they cut calories too much or don't eat back their exercise cals. You likely won't build lean muscle while eating in a deficit, but you'll be able to keep as much as possible by eating enough to have more energy for your workouts and eating enough protein.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

WHU???

OP, unless you have a medical reason, you don't need to restrict them. I have mine set to 35/35/30, but everyone will vary depending on their goals.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options

Since carbohydrates aren't needed do you consume any? Do you know anybody who consumes zero carbohydrates?

• nvmomketo
    edited July 2015
    Options

This is true. Glucose can be made from protein in the diet, or your own lean muscle if you aren't eating enough protein. A body will make enough glucose from dietary protein to live happily and be active, even to quite a high level.

Carbohydrates are not needed by the body, most LCHF people choose to eat them for the micronutrients, their taste, and sometimes for athletic performance.

I eat around 20-30g of carbs per day, and have for a month. I feel really good eating this way. It isn't for everyone though, and it sounds like it may not be a good fit for the OP.
  • arb037
    Options
    For those that wish to argue about the need ( false) for carbohydrates, you clearly do not understand the premise behind ketosis and the Ketogenic diet/ lifestyle.
    The body and brain run perfectly fine if not better on ketones. Neoglucogenesis is the body converting glycerol into glucose if it needs it. Glycerol is one of the breakdowns of fatty tissue.
    Carbs are not necessary.
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    For those that wish to argue about the need ( false) for carbohydrates, you clearly do not understand the premise behind ketosis and the Ketogenic diet/ lifestyle.
    The body and brain run perfectly fine if not better on ketones. Neoglucogenesis is the body converting glycerol into glucose if it needs it. Glycerol is one of the breakdowns of fatty tissue.
    Carbs are not necessary.

So did you miss the questions I asked you or do you not want to discuss this?
  • nvmomketo
    edited July 2015
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »

Since carbohydrates aren't needed do you consume any? Do you know anybody who consumes zero carbohydrates?

I don't see the point of the first question. Most people consume a diet made of a third to almost two thirds of carbs. No one needs them but one can eat them.

As for the second question, I do. Well, sort of. More I know of him and have talked with him. He uses some spices so that probably adds a minute amount of carbs.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    Mine are around 50 carbs, 30 fat, 20 protein
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    nvsmomketo wrote: »

I don't see the point of the first question. Most people consume a diet made of a third to almost two thirds of carbs. No one needs them but one can eat them.

As for the second question, I do. Well, sort of. More I know of him and have talked with him. He uses some spices so that probably adds a minute amount of carbs.

Very cool. This week, more so then most, 'the carbs aren't essential' keeps popping in many threads. I guess for people eating a keto diet they view carbs as non-essential. Many people eat carbs and probably view them as essential. Athletes especially would wonder 'what are people speaking of' when they say they aren't essential. It reminds me of a pendulum, carbs are good, the pendulum swings, carbs aren't needed, the pendulum swings. idk why people write they aren't essential. What exactly is the point of writing this? How does it help a discussion on the forums?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

Very cool. This week, more so then most, 'the carbs aren't essential' keeps popping in many threads. I guess for people eating a keto diet they view carbs as non-essential. Many people eat carbs and probably view them as essential. Athletes especially would wonder 'what are people speaking of' when they say they aren't essential. It reminds me of a pendulum, carbs are good, the pendulum swings, carbs aren't needed, the pendulum swings. idk why people write they aren't essential. What exactly is the point of writing this? How does it help a discussion on the forums?

Very true. People who are into the paleo diet forget that there were so many different types of diet for the early people, depending on where they lived. In North America alone, you have the Eastern seaboard who ate a lot of fish, game, and fruit and berries. The peoples of the Northern Plains ate mostly meat because it was all that was available. People of the Southern desert areas and especially the semi-tropical areas of Mexico, etc. ate primarily grains, legumes, etc. Then there are the people of the far north who ate a lot of fat (whale and walrus blubber). This means that humans ate high carb, low carb, high fat, low fat, high protein, low protein, and everything in between. There is no ONE WAY for a human being to eat. We adapted to a wide variety of foods and we can still do well on any kind of diet, depending on the individual.

• umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options

You are using the word 'essential' like it is a personal preference. 'Essential' nutrients are those the body must have or it doesn't function right. There is a scientic definition of essential nutrients-and it pretty much is not up for debate as it is verified by research.

It is vitally important to understand that minimizing carbs isn't a nutritional problem. For a large number of people minimizing carbohydrate intake can greatly improve their health & weight. Years of eating high levels of carbohydrates has created an epidemic of obesity and diabetes. I think it is important that it be said - and people go do their own investigating.

• arb037
    Options
    Exactly! Essential is not how they described it, nor is it up for debate. A bit of research would show them that my statement was simply carbs are not necessary ( essentially needed) by the body to function. Whereas protein and fat are. People do and can eat various amounts of carbs and are quite fine, just like many people eat little to no carbs and are fine.
    Most are perfectly capable of weight loss eating whatever macro split they chose if they are accurate and stick to a calorie deficit. But yes the "hype" of demonizing fats for decades then carbs is a bit rediculous. Carbohydrates have their place especially when talking about elite level athletes and bodybuilders etc. the energy demands are easier met with carbs in aole cases. You can step off your pedestal now its ok.
  • FullyFueledFitness
    FullyFueledFitness Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I have experimented with using all sort of combinations of macros, and also macro timing. I have found what works for me. Then, I decided to do some genetic testing, which interesting, verified the information I had discovered about my need for carbs, protein, and fat. It is true the carbs are not "essential" for basic survival, and that glucose can be made from proteins and fats. However, including carbs in the diet in specific amounts and at the right time of day/week according to your genetics and your lifestyle/fitness/athletic goals, will help you reach your goals faster. I'd love to share some of my tips with you if you have some specific questions.