Should I bring my scales on vacation?

Options
the past couple of weeks feel like I've had a binge fest. I went from 3 months to not giving in to anything bad and now I know why people say losing weight is hard. I've been stressing out with going on vacation to meet the bf's family, him finding his own place even his job. Been going out to seattle and indulging to any cravings Ive had and I'm sick of eating so much sugar that I'm feeling nauseous as I type this. Someone please give me your advice to cope with this stress. And there's no way of really getting rid of the bad food in my house bc I live with my parents, but it's been going to new places for the first time and celebrations that have been getting me.

Replies

• LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Food scale yes, body scale no. Bring exercise clothes and any tracking devices you use.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Take your scales if you think it will help you get back on track. But vaca is a hard time to make changes do u might be stressing yourself out more.

Take some healthy snacks such as protein bars, dried fruit, nuts on vaca to give self some options.

At home can you keep a shelf (or a bag)in the cupboard & frig with your own healthy snacks? Then at least you have some control over what's available.

Don't beat yourself for what's happened. Just get back on track as soon as you can.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    There's a lot going on there. If you eat due to stress, consider seeing a therapist who specializes in eating disorders. Even if you don't have an ED, they can help you get to a place where your emotions aren't all tied up with food.

You can lose weight even eating the most unhealthy food on the planet, if you eat little enough of it.

You might benefit from a slow change. Instead of the whole "All Or Nothing" deal that has left you frustrated, just make small changes. Think of it as adding things you want. Add water for a week, then spend a 2-3 weeks adding some fruits and veggies into your diet. Then add some whole grains. Keep finding ones you like.

Make it stuff you like to eat. Keep preparing veggies in different ways until you find ones you LIKE eating.

I don't really eat empty-calorie fare, but I like what I eat!

If you don't like what you're eating, you won't be able to do it for very long and will always end up frustrated and thinking you failed. Spend time learning how to make good and healthy food. It's worth the effort!! :)

The scale on vacation...if you want to, take it! If you don't, don't. Me, I wouldn't. :)
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I'm heading on vacation to the UK for a month. I don't have room to pack scales but I am bringing my running stuff and my polar.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Have a strategy that gives you a plan to deal with the calories in a way that suits you.
    Mostly my anti stress straegy is to keep things in proportion and choose not to stress. Its unhelpful. 35000 calories over mauntenance for 1lb, keep that in mind.

Choose how serious you wnat to implement your diet, do you wnat to be in eficit, will maintenance be ok or do you feel like taking a break?

Preplan your food.
    Allocate more calories to the evening or going out.
    Limit the times of going out.
    Exercise before or after for extra calories if need be.
    Look at the menu beforehand and make lower calorie choices (normally the way its cooked)
    Portion control is always available. One tip I liked was use a childs portion or when you get a full portion share yours out immediately with someone else.
    Allow yourself a bit of leeway and agree you cna tackle some overshoot when back home if need be.
    Upi dont have to eat at every place, but if you do then use soem of the tactics above and you can manage the amounts you eat more effectively.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Stop looking at foods as either good or bad. Food is food. There are not good and bad foods. There are foods you can eat a lot of and foods that you should enjoy in small portions and maybe not so often. Just because it is there does not mean you have to eat it or eat all of it. This is YOUR choice. No one is forcing you to eat it and there is nothing wrong with choosing not to eat it even if other people are.

You need to find a way to relieve stress that does not involve food. Ride a bike, go for a walk, play a sport, take up martial arts,(like I did). Get a dog and take it for walks, Volunteer. Draw, paint, do cross stitch, read great books, go to a museum, zoo or park, take dancing lessons. Do some physically active thing that makes you feel good. Then this will be what you do to relieve stress instead of binging which never makes you feel good anyway.

Have the internal conversation with yourself that eating the food not only does not make you feel good but it makes you feel worse. Why would you purposely do a thing that makes you feel bad? You need to get it in your head that the people around you are going to continue to enjoy foods that maybe you would rather not be around or don't feel that you can eat. And that is OKAY. What they do or don't do has no bearing on YOUR CHOICES.

As for taking your scale on vacation. That's really up to you and what you think you would feel better about. You might just need to go, have fun, not worry about the calories, and start with a clean slate when you get back.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If I cooked everything, yes. Otherwise, probably not worth the hassle. And honestly I wouldn't want to feel judged if going with other people.

But you don't have to cut anything. Just eat less of what you crave... that way you won't binge on it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    First of all, there is no "bad" food. Perhaps you over restricted during that 3 months and are making up for it? Why don't you try to eat at maintenance for a week? Definitely yes on the food scale for vacation.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    You're blaming a lot of other people for the food you put in your mouth. You are the owner of what you choose to eat. Get a job, pay for your own food, and don't eat any of your parents' food. You can do it!
  • SunnyPacheco
    SunnyPacheco Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Yes definitely bring a food scale. Don't bring a body weight scale because you're liable to beat yourself up even more if you use it. If you're with the bf's fam and you all eat in the house then weigh your food and all the better if you can make the food yourself. If you love sweets try substituting in fruits and peanut butter or a sweet protein bar/granola bar that will satisfy your cravings but be more nutritious. Bring workout clothes so you'll be more likely to exercise and balance out any overeating you might do. It also sounds like you've been restricting yourself too much which led to the binging. You may want to rethink what you were eating before and work in foods you enjoy that won't make you feel like you're restricting while staying within your calorie goal.