The 100 Workout Challenge (deadlifts, squats, pushups, pullups)

Options
Did this today as part of my workout. I'll warn you, it's killer. Got it from Born Fitness (http://www.bornfitness.com)
It's for time, my time was 34:48. Give it a go and post your times!

This past week I tried "The 100 Workout Challenge." Easy to try. Painful to perform.

Here's how it works...

The challenge consists of 4 exercises: deadlifts, squats, pullups, and pushups. If you can't do pullups, then pulldowns are a perfect substitution. Same goes for any variation of pushups.

Step 1: Perform your normal warmup, including warmup sets for your first exercise.

Step 2: Set a timer.

Step 3: Perform 100 reps of deadlifts at your bodyweight.
You can take as many sets as needed, but be warned: you probably don't want to go to failure on set 1.

Step 4: Once you've completed your deadlifts, do 100 reps of squats using 75% of your bodyweight.
Same rule as above, as you want to allow yourself as many sets as needed to hit your target.

Step 5: The bodyweight exercises
You'll do 50 reps of pullups/chinups, taking as many sets as needed.
Then you'll do 50 reps of pushups, making for a combined 100 reps of upper body work.

Step 6: Stop your timer, record the time, catch your breath and head home for a post-workout meal.

Replies

• brad837
    brad837 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    This looks like a great challenge, I might just give this a try...
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    You'll do 50 reps of pullups/chinups, taking as many sets as needed.

I would need about 3 weeks to finish just this part. I'm out. :)
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    why so many reps ? rep to failure is enough for me.
    I usually works sets for 10-12 reps per set, when I can get to 15 reps it is time to increase the weight
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I usually works sets for 10-12 reps per set, when I can get to 15 reps it is time to increase the weight

*agrees*

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    This sounds awful. 100 reps of DL @ 240 is a terrible idea. 100 reps of squats at @200 isn't *that* bad, but coming after the DL it's a disaster. 50 pullups will run me about 7-8 sets over 12-15 minutes, and then 50 pushups will take less than one minute total. So my low back and hips will be thrashed for a week or more, my back will have gotten a decent workout, and my chest won't even be warmed up for a real workout.

This is random at best and a huge recovery drag that slows my real training for no particular benefit.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,638 Member
    Options
    I've done 100 reps in a single set at 135 before, AFTER a full squat workout, so that's not a problem. As with DavPul, the pullups/pushups would be a cinch.

100 deadlift pulls at 185...ach.

I'd be far more amenable to a workout doing sets of 10 at various percentages of BW; say set of 10 bench at 75%, set of 10 pullups, set of 10 squat at BW, set of 10 deadlift at BW. Repeat a certain number of times for time, or as many rounds as possible in a given time, something like that. The percentages of BW would vary per person based on strength level, from as low as 50% to up to 200% or something like that. Only real trick is using up a ton of barbells, which might make you unpopular with other gym members.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options

Paul Carter of Lift-Run-Bang is a big fan of ultra hight rep sets like this for building mass. Usually only for glamor muscles, biceps delts and triceps, but it couldn't hurt with compounds.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options

Paul Carter of Lift-Run-Bang is a big fan of ultra hight rep sets like this for building mass. Usually only for glamor muscles, biceps delts and triceps, but it couldn't hurt with compounds.

Thank you for the explanation @XavierNusum . OP did not mention Building Mass in the posting
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    ooh. No thanks.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    No thanks. Deadlifts for time sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    You lost me at deadlifts.