Too much of a good thing?

Options
apittsle
apittsle Posts: 31 Member
Hi everyone,

Just wondering about sticking to the portion sizes on proteins? If I go over the recommended portion of a lean protein such as chicken or salmon, will that completely wreck what I'm trying to do?

Replies

• ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I am gonna go with "no".
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    If you go over your calories, enough to be at maintenance, then you will not lose weight no matter where those calories come from. It's best to weigh meat because eyeballing it can be very inaccurate. :)
  • apittsle
    Options
    I try not to go over often, but if I do, I am still within my allotted calories for the day.
  • apittsle
    Options
    I do measure as well.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You can ignore the carb/fat/protein macros. Eat the protein and stay with in your calories as you are doing. :)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    A lot of people look at their protein goal as a minimum to reach. As long as you're within your calories, you're fine.
  • apittsle
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • cocnuts
    cocnuts Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I don't ever look at portion sizes, although I'm not a huge eater and I'm completely satisfied with 100-120 gram of protein.
    So as long as the daily calories allow to do so, I would say forget about recommendations and have a filling meal that won't have you snacking a couple of hours later. I barely ever snack, and I'm not hungry after 4-6 hours of my meals.
  • akwest21
    akwest21 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to keep carbs low going over a target on protein can derail progress by a process called gluconeogenesis. This is where your body takes excess protein and turns it into sugar. You would have to go over by a good bit thought. Probably more than 1gram per lb of body mass. If you're not trying to count carbs it shouldn't be an issue and can help you feel full longer.