Solution for muscle weakness?

Options
I have lost about 90 pounds (so far) and i'm here to find motivation so I can reach my goal. But even with all that weight gone, I still have a long way to go. Since i'm doing more cardio (mostly walking - for now) than resistance, I have (with time) lost a lot of my strenght and found myself with muscle weakness. I can barely do anything that requires strenght. My arms, knees, ankles, everything seems to feel weak. I need advice how to slowly start doing resistance/muscle exercises again. How much session per week is good to begin with or in general? What kind of resistance should I do? I really want to get lean and strong (and thighten everything... you know) though I don't know what to do or where to start. I know everybody is different. I guess I just need a global idea and advice :smile:

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    But you......already seem to know the solution for muscle weakness? So go ahead and pick a tried and true full body lifting program and get started.
  • PrettyCreature
    PrettyCreature Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yeah.. I guess my title is misleading. I'm looking for people who has/had muscle weakness before, and how they managed to start resistance training. Like I said, I can barely do anything, since it's been a long time. Any good exercises to strenghen the whole body? I would like to get leaner, but without being on a program. I already have dumbells, so I guess it's a start. Is resistance training better than cardio for weight loss? How much a week should I do? Apparently you need about two days appart after each muscle training. I just want to know more about the subject in general. Stupid questions, I know lol
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Google stronglifts and follow that lifting program
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Pick a beginner's routine and just use body weight to start. You can do a 3 days a week full body routine with a day's rest between sessions and do cardio on off days.
  • PrettyCreature
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. :smile:
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Pick a program of your choice, start with what you can, and work on form over weight, initially. Don't be afraid to find solutions that work for you. For deadlifts, I can't lift a bar with 45's, so the bar sits too low and hurts my back. My solution was to start with the pre weighted bars that start around 15 pounds (I think my start weight for deads was 25 lbs?) and raised it up with step risers to solve the back issue.
    aa7erjbq3l5i.png

The squares are the risers, the clear ovals your feet / hands.

You can find some really knowledgable people in the Eat Train Progress group.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I was very weak before I started my fitness & health journey 13 months ago. Strength trsining
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Strength training 2-3x week with guidance and I've progressed more than I ever thought possible at 60 yo. Still more I want to accomplish. I felt improvement within only a few weeks, things like stairs and getting into pickup truck.

Resistance bands are a hood option if you have concerns about free weights or bars.
    Good luck. You can do this!!
  • PrettyCreature
    edited July 2015
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Strength training 2-3x week with guidance and I've progressed more than I ever thought possible at 60 yo. Still more I want to accomplish. I felt improvement within only a few weeks, things like stairs and getting into pickup truck.

Resistance bands are a hood option if you have concerns about free weights or bars.
    Good luck. You can do this!!

Thank you! :smile: I will do strenght training two times a week + a lot more cardio. Hope this works!

• chriskangell
    chriskangell Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    start