Affordable Protein?

Options
reptile86
reptile86 Posts: 10 Member
Hi Guys!

Just wanted to know, what's the cheapest price people have found Whey Protein for online or on the high street? I take around 3 servings a day and based on a 20/30g 'scoop' serving, I would need around a 1500g tub or pouch of the stuff.

So far the cheapest price I've seen is from Myprotein.com but was just curious to hear from others. The reason I ask is, I've recently been laid off, but if I could find an affordable Whey Protein, then I could seriously consider it, I just don't want my fitness to take a blow through lack of funds. Obviously, getting ALL of my protein through foods that store it naturally is out of the question if I can't even afford a supplement for it.

Thanks in advance guys, I'm sure any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated! :huh:

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I've had luck with ebay and amazon.com. Quality comes first though - I recommend finding the right brand for you, with a good set of ingredients, and only then shopping for the lowest price.
  • reptile86
    Options
    Thanks!

I'll have a browse on eBay and see what there is, never even thought of that option! Glad you mentioned it! :happy:
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Try a bulk foods store, where the stuff comes in bins instead of pre-portioned bags and you take as much / little as you want of an item.
    It's where I get my whey protein for $15 ... a pound I think... and the cheapest "tub" of the packaged stuff at health-food stores is $30 a pound around here so I'm going bulk store every time.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Try a bulk foods store, where the stuff comes in bins instead of pre-portioned bags and you take as much / little as you want of an item.
    It's where I get my whey protein for $15 ... a pound I think... and the cheapest "tub" of the packaged stuff at health-food stores is $30 a pound around here so I'm going bulk store every time.

If you look around online you can find 5 lbs of quality stuff for $30-$40. i.e, about $6-8/lb. That's the cheapest I've seen.
  • reptile86
    Options
    Wow!

Totally forgot about that option too! I used to use those kind of shops on a regular basis for dried veg etc, will have to keep my eyes open for one now, HOPEFULLY will be able to get some Whey at a decent price! Thanks for the help guys, you've been spot on with the advice, 5 stars!

:bigsmile:
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Should amend mine to indicate I'm Canadian so we don't seem to get the prices y'all do.

I walked out of a couple book stores lately without anything because the US price is $25 and Canadian is $40... I'll wait to get it used for $1 or til a friend is heading south and can grab it for me at the cheaper price ;) At $8/lb I could double my use of whey protein and not cost any more so I'll be looking online for some options too.
  • notoriousgtt
    notoriousgtt Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I've always found the best prices at myprotein, there stuff is decent quality as well.