How to surive food addiction?

Options
jaygirl3
jaygirl3 Posts: 320 Member
I have come to the conclusion that i am addicted to food. I just had six cups of kellogs apple jack cereal with six spooms of powdered milk, at a go. My tummy is so bloated and uncomfortable. yesterday i had 800 calorie breakfast, one large peperonni pizza for lunch and chocolate donuts for dinner. I didnt have to guts to even log it in. I never wanted to accept this in the past, but i think accepting it now would be the first step to conquering this. I weigh 180 pounds , i am 5 ft 10.

The only thing that worked for me in the past (against this food addiction) was eating once a day, I did it for a full 18months, and was about 120 pounds. But when i eat three times a day, i just cannot control my portions. The six meal a day thing was a disaster for me, i was eating over 2000 calories.

Right now i am considering either one meal a day or a forty day water fast to get me off this addiction.

Has anyone battled with food addiction before? What helped you? how did you do it? I really want to stop, but once i start eating i just want to feel that full bulging tummy. Have been on mfp for over 50 days and only lost 6 pounds.

Replies

• brian90
    brian90 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    it may be a good idea to log the food in the diary. I know it is not nice to see but will help you amke smart choices and stay accountable. make small changes each day. It would not be a good idea to eat one meal a day or day a water fast. Stick with it and yo ucan do this. Feel free to add me as a buddy.
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. So far, the only thing that seems to help me is taking it one day at a time. I found that while the slipups were not good, if I beat myself up too badly over them I couldn't ever seem to get back on track. Also, I tend to drink alot of water. It seems that the more I drink, the less I have the desire to down a whole pizza. I still have those days, and I think I always will. I'm just trying to have fewer of them.

Just take it one day at a time, do what you can each day, and remember you are NOT alone in this
  • lizzil0
    lizzil0 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I think eating once a day isn't so awful if that's the only way you feel in control. Look up intermittent fasting. Lots of research say it's a fine way to eat and you actually live longer eating like that. Good luck!
  • teanabean
    teanabean Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I have been dealing with my food addiction for several years now. I first had to admit to myself that I had a problem with food. I stress eat as well, and still do. But I am working on it daily.

What has helped FOR ME is eating 3 healthy, well balanced meals and eating snacks in between those meals. I eat about every 3 hours. I choose healthier options vs the unhealthy ones. Logging my intake helps me realize just HOW many calories I am consuming and will make me think twice before grabbing that chocolate donut. And I take each day as it comes. I try my best each day. I do not set huge goals for myself, such as "lose 50 lbs by August" because I don't want to feel like a huge failure if I don't meet that goal, so I do weekly goals.
    good luck hun.
  • lifeinpink09
    lifeinpink09 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with bulimia nervosa for a while now. But, even just binging like that alone has been a problem for me since childhood. One thing I've learned is that I will want to know what I'm eating ahead of time so that there is no mystery. When I say one serving, I KNOW I'm measuring out exactly one serving and putting the cereal back. Also, you might want to consider lower calorie/low fat milk alternatives. Soy milk, almond milk, and rice milk are all DELICIOUS!
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    i had to really suffer the first week. i forced myself to eat tiny meals several times a day in order to "shrink" my stomach. it worked a little but, when i needed that full feeling, what really helped was protein shakes and HUGE raw veggie salads with fat free dressing, it was literally "bigger" than 2lbs of pasta, but was probably 300 calories. after a while i didn't need as much food, and now eating too much makes me sick. i also got those tofu noodles that are really low in calories. they don't taste great, but if u find a good sauce they're ok. those are another thing i have that helps me with those cravings.
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I was definitely a food addict. The unfair thing about this is, unlike being addicted to say drugs or alcohol, is we NEED food. Our body doesn't NEED drugs or alcohol, but it does need to be fueled. It's a daily battle and we have to figure out what works for us to deal with it.

I try not to push my views on anyone, but I think this is an appropriate place to share what works for me. I found that it was the simple carbs and sugars (ie processed junk) that I was addicted to. Once I broke that and started feeding my body the protein and veggies it needed, the sugar cravings got to be less and less and the weight loss just happened. I still have binge days, some of them intentional (it reminds me how bad I felt before). I have found that if I keep my carbs low and protein high early in the day I am less likely to binge and I have more room to enjoy a bigger dinner with my family.

Do I miss gorging myself on sweets and things that just plain taste good? Yeah, sometimes. I don't miss being heavy though and feeling sluggish and guilty. Friend me if you want. Good luck to you! Hugs:flowerforyou:
  • griscelda79
    Options
    If it is a true food addiction have you thought about counseling? Perhaps with a therapist or maybe joining Overeaters Annonymous? Any real addiction is serious and should be dealt with. There are also things you can do on your own if the counseling is not an option for you for whatever reason. If you are going to eat a lot you could fill up on non-calorie dense foods- like veggies and fruits--- if you are able to control that. You can also keep a journal for your binges- writing what time you ate, what you ate and what you were feeling- physically and emotionally. It's not always easy to dealwith emotions but it's necessary for optimal health and peace of mind. There is also an interesting book and/or website called Shrink Yourself that may be helpful.
    There are lots of options. I don't know that I would try to go back to eating only once a day. If you only did that every once in a while it's not too bad, but doing that on a regular basis is not good for your body, it will probably slow down your metabolism so it would work against you. Being 5'10 and 120lbs you were likely underweight and unhealthy. Depending on your body type, musclemass, etc... you should probably be between 130-150. If you were unhealthy at that weight and were happy then you may have body image problems and/or eating disorders that will need help. Anyway, a lot of people have given a lot of good advice, find out what works for you, but maybe pay particular attention to those who have had eating disorders... Good luck :)
  • rachelhohenbrink
    rachelhohenbrink Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    First of all my heart goes out to you because that must be a horrible thing to deal with daily. There is obviously something in your life that is really taking a toll and bothering in you. Unfortunately until you get to the bottom of what Is bother you, you will continue in the cycle. Ask yourself if there is a problem that you are using food to solve. See someone to talk it out and see if they can help you.
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I've had that same issue. I loved feeling full like I couldn't eat anymore.

So I still eat about 4 meals a day. About 1500 calories a day. But I drink a TON of water with every meal and snack so that I can still get that full feeling without the calories. You end up going to the bathroom a lot but that's not really that bad.

Eventually I learned to be satisfied with a 'not hungry anymore' feeling instead of a 'i'm so full i can't possibly eat anymore' feeling.

I also don't keep junk in the house at all. It's a lot easier to resist cravings when you'd have to gut up and actually go to the grocery store to get your junk food.
  • dmswarts
    dmswarts Posts: 28
    Options
    i agree totally with the last post ! Food, booze or drug addiction stems from something. Its your coping mechanism for whatever is going on with your life, and until you figure it out and deal with it unfortuantly you will always have this problem. the reason i know this is , I LIVED IT.....
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    My best advice is to try Overeaters Anonymous or Food Addicts Anonymous (I think there are a few other similar programs) While my addiction is Alcohol I can only speak great things for 12 step programs. I know it is harder to work with a food addiction because you can't just stop eating like I had to stop drinking. But I do know people who have found success through OA and are now at very managable weights and live happy lives.

If you do decide to go the OA route be prepared to give up CERTAIN foods. I know that one of my friends in OA doesn't eat any wheat products. But someone will work with you to figure out what foods really trigger your addiction. You also could seek medical help. My mom did a doctor supervised program and lost a lot of weight, the problem for her was when she stopped with the supervision her addiction kicked back in. She recently started OA and feels very confident that it will help her out. Feel free to contact me if you need any more information my heat goes out to you!
  • kmp327
    kmp327 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am totally in the same boat. Something that's really helping me is reading up on my addiction. I just finished Food: The Good Girl's drug (I've been pushing that book all over this website) and it's helping me realize a lot of the reasons why I binge eat and why I've yo yo'ed so much in my life. I would highly recommend that as a starting place, it has exercises in it that make you really focus on your issues and make you think about eating and your body in a different way.

I DON'T think that going on a strict diet will help. The book actually tells us that it is scientifically proven that diets don't work, people are able to restrict themselves for awhile but then when they reach their goal they go right back to their bad habits in most cases. I think it's more important that you get to the root of the problem so you can be healthy and have a better relationship with food and your body!

Therapy is really helpful for this, and it sounds like you could benefit from it. I would LOVE to go that route, but my insurance sucks. I'm also thinking of going to an Overeater's Anonymous meeting. I was hesitant about the idea because I worry they'll think I'm not overweight enough, but from what I've read people of all shapes and sizes go and they're not about judgement.

Feel free to friend me, I plan on blogging/posting about food addiction and recovery as I go through this journey, and the more support we have for each other the better!
  • truckerchic
    truckerchic Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Once you have a true food addiction you will always have it just like any other addiction. How you eat and what you eat are only a small part of the overall problem of addiction. There are reasons behind the bing, reasons that drives one to shove so much food into their body they feel like the will explode, reasons we except the cycle of justifying a bing and than scold ourselves for doing it after. The guilt and depression behind a food addiction is a tough thing to work thru and for many they may need medical help.These issues need to be dealt with before you can figure out a healthy diet because nothing will work long term for you.
    Now if its just a matter of really enjoying food and that full feeling with no past of emotional issues do a little research and preplanning, make small changes, take every day as it comes and learn from it to make a better choice tmrw. Large pizza today med pizza tmrw but log log log that food you can fool your mind but not your body....good luck to all
  • suchecm
    suchecm Posts: 23
    Options
    I use to be addicted to food/binge eat everything and it was all with food that was bad for me. I could eat a whole pizza in one sitting, I drank a lot of soda, ate fast food (sometimes twice a day) and ate TONS of chocolate and candy. The reason I ate like that was because I was dealing with anxiety and depression. Still am but I started going to counseling and went on medication a while ago. It took me a long time of talking about my problems to come to the point where I am today.

I don't eat for comfort anymore. I realize when I want to eat because I am hungry or just because I want to eat. It has only been about three weeks since I made the decision to stop what I was doing and start losing weight. It is hard but I am glad I did it. It is early still but seeing myself in the mirror and not liking what I am seeing is keeping me going. I also just want to be healthier in general. Seeing everyone's before and after pictures on the mfp message boards has also kept me motivated.

Usually the underlying reason people are addicted to food is an emotional one. I know finding out why you are eating the way you do is hard. It was very hard for me and even though I didn't want to go to counseling, because I am very shy and don't like to talk to people, I did it and it has helped me deal with my problems another way. I'm not perfect. Sometimes I want to eat something just because I miss eating the way I did but I let myself have a small treat now and then and it helps. Restricting everything isn't a good idea.

One thing I do to help myself is plan out all my meals for the week because if I don't know what I am going to eat I am more likely to go out and grab something that is bad for me. I have also started exercising. I do Zumba dvds right now because they are fun and I want to do them.
  • kathieh1
    kathieh1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I believe I also have food addiction. What has worked for me is to eat small (100 calorie) meals every 2-3 hours.. and I'm using meal replacements (Medifast) which keep my sugar levels balanced so I don't get cravings or feel too hungry. It completely changed what I was eating so that food was no longer a choice exactly.. more like just something I take at intervals like a medication. That doesn't mean it's not enjoyable, because I do actually like the foods now that I'm used to them, just not using it the same way. Once a day I have a meal of lean protein and low carb vegetables. Bread, pasta, simple carbs, sugars, even fruits are just not options for me at least until I reach my goal weight. At that point I will still have to limit them forever and be very very careful.. since I believe overeating on those kinds of foods does send me into the same kind of state a drinker gets into.. spacey.. out of control.. etc. I understand this isn't what everyone needs.. but it has allowed me to take a break from my addiction type eating and give up quite a bit of weight fairly painlessly without constant cravings.

The permission to eat something every 2-3 hours is important too so if I get hungry in between that time I drink water.. sometimes Crystal Light .. and just wait. Learning to be patient and realize I can eat.. just not now.. is helpful. If I get too hungry though... skip or delay too long one of the small meals.. I do get much hungrier and it's more difficult to control portions the next time. That would make me question the wisdom of a once a day eating plan. Also, try to read some things about metabolism and consider using food like fuel. Figure out how your body actually uses it. You don't want to work against yourself and be eating a lot less than you could. I find educating myself very motivating.. but again, not the same for everyone. Best of luck and keep trying until you find what works for you.
  • eveunderground
    eveunderground Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I agree, keeping a journal of everything you eat is very helpful. The most important entries are the ones where you experience the binge/overeating episodes, and the days preceding. In other words, don't fall into the habit of only logging your "good" days and leaving out the "bad" days. The valuable information comes from seeing/analyzing EVERYTHING you're doing. Then you're going to want to look for patterns that could be causing the overeating to happen...it could be triggered by the foods you're eating (or not eating), it could be your emotional state, it could be hormone cycles, etc. I'd also suggest seeing a nutritionist since they can work with you to determine what is triggering the binge eating, and introduce you gradually to small but sustainable changes that will eventually lead to you overcoming the issue permanently. Basically I don't think making a bunch of drastic changes (fasting, etc) at once will work to permanently fix the problem...you really need to identify what is causing the behavior.
  • Pseudocyber
    Pseudocyber Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Where I was - eating a whole large pizza and 20 wings and 4-5 cups of ranch dressing and a 4-6 beers. I can't imagine how many calories and carbs that was, but it had to be in the thousands/hundreds. Needless to say, I was diagnosed with Diabetes II and my doctor was very concerned about my initial Hemoglobin A1C (13.5).

What I still struggle with - eating all the food. When I'm alone, I have to eat all my food. When I'm with other people, I want to eat all their left over food too. I literally have to bite my tounge not to yell at my kids to eat all their food.

What has helped - just stay away from bread, carb food like chips, pretzels, anything fried, white rice, pasta. If I want to pig out, I allow myself to pig out on fruit, and vegetables. I try to avoid meat, and if I do, then chicken or fish. If I eat beef - try to limit it to "special occasions".

I really try to watch the emotional eating - had a rough day? eat your favorite food. Good day? eat your favorite food. etc.

DRINK WATER/DIET DRINKS - chug 16 oz before going out/eating. Sit down, drink another 16 oz before you eat anything. Drink another 2x16 oz while you're eating. If you can't control yourself and pig out - you know at least 1/2 your "being stuffed" is from water. I say diet drink - because you get 0 cal, same effect - of course it adds to your sodium count, so watch that. Try to drink water - if you must have something sweet - I like a lemon quarter and a pink sweet and low packet in a restaurant glass of water - make instant 0 cal lemonade - and IT"S FREE (usually) on the bill - instead of $2 for a tea/diet drink.

Good luck - at least you've recognized you have a problem, and you're here among friends.

I hope this helps.

PC
  • stepbystep6
    stepbystep6 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    For sugar addictions, I'm surprized no one has mentioned the Radiant Recovery, I am finding it helpful especially to realize that I am not alone and that some of the emotional struggles I have, are really the biochemical fall-out of a sensitive sugar metabolism.
    2112540 Posts: 71
    Options
    My mom has had this problem and it made her existence miserable. Finally when she had enough, she joined Over eaters anonymous and not only did it bring her sanity and more happiness than she's ever had in her life, she's been able to reach and maintain her goal weight for about 8.5 years:)