Has anyone tried the "Carb lover's diet"?

Options
I saw something about this diet today on Rachael Ray. It sounds good and doable. I (mostly) watch what I eat and try to stick to lower calorie, healthy meals. I think it's realistic and not a drastic way to live. I DO LOVE my carbs and do well, most of the time, limiting them, while not cutting them out completely. The idea of resistant starch is new to me and wonder if it's a real thing. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

Replies

• xxMsComptonxx
    Options
    bump. I would like to learn about this as well.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Rachel Ray has a good approach to food. She really believes in healthy balanced and fresh meals. It's all about moderation. I tend to believe that many "diets" are just fads and not sustainable long term. However, this diet you speak of just sounds normal and not a fad where you would gain it all back at the end. :)
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Here's recipes from the Carb lovers diet:

http://www.carblovers.com/health/carblovers/recipes.jsp
  • Valine
    Valine Posts: 1
    Options
    I saw the two ladies who came up with this diet on The View. It seemed completely legit & the calorie consumption at the end of the day would end up being around 1200. Seemed workable, they claimed to be doing it, other than that I haven't seen or heard anything about it. I would like to know about it & it actually working or not too.
  • StaceyWilbur
    Options
    Exactly what I was thinking. ;) I'm looking for lifestyle type changes. I love when I find something new, good tasting and healthy to add into my "diet". Not looking for a quick fix, but REALISTIC changes here and there.
  • RSQueen
    RSQueen Posts: 1
    Options
    I've been following the CarbLovers Diet for quite some time now, but I add resistant starch to my smoothie in the morning instead of focusing exclusively on food sources of resistant starch. It does a lot to curb my hunger.

There actually is a lot of science behind it. You can see for yourself at www.ResistantStarch.com. Published studies have shown that it curbs hunger and helps people to eat less without feeling hungry as well as improve insulin sensitivity (especially in prediabetic individuals who are resistant to insulin).

Foods sources of resistant starch are mostly healthier foods. I question the resistant starch in potato chips - the 1 gram of RS that they're supposed to have doesn't justify the amount of calories that potato chips contain. And 1 gram of RS isn't going to do much for your hunger and blood sugar management. However, the rest of it is good nutrition - beans, under-ripe bananas, and intact whole grains are all good.

I just find it easier to throw a tablespoon or so of the isolated ingredient (which was used in all the published studies anyway) into my smoothie. Either way, it's good.
  • StaceyWilbur
    Options
    Thanks for the info!!! :smile:
    I've been following the CarbLovers Diet for quite some time now, but I add resistant starch to my smoothie in the morning instead of focusing exclusively on food sources of resistant starch. It does a lot to curb my hunger.

There actually is a lot of science behind it. You can see for yourself at www.ResistantStarch.com. Published studies have shown that it curbs hunger and helps people to eat less without feeling hungry as well as improve insulin sensitivity (especially in prediabetic individuals who are resistant to insulin).

Foods sources of resistant starch are mostly healthier foods. I question the resistant starch in potato chips - the 1 gram of RS that they're supposed to have doesn't justify the amount of calories that potato chips contain. And 1 gram of RS isn't going to do much for your hunger and blood sugar management. However, the rest of it is good nutrition - beans, under-ripe bananas, and intact whole grains are all good.

I just find it easier to throw a tablespoon or so of the isolated ingredient (which was used in all the published studies anyway) into my smoothie. Either way, it's good.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    if anything, you got some great recipes from the website to add to your recipe book, they look super yummy and healthy