Confused about Greek Yogurt!!!!!!

Options
I am extremely confused about Greek yogurt, I hear about it constantly. So, I went to the store today to take a look and was surprised to find out it has WAY more calories and fat than my Yoplait Source yogurt. Therefore, I did not buy it.

So, what is the deal? Why Greek yogurt?

Thanks! :D

Replies

• ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I like the consistency of it - most yogurts gross me out, but not the greek yogurt. I like the Fage Total 0% which is nonfat, 120 calories, and totally awesome with almonds added in. I also think they're more filling than other yogurts.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    It has a lot more protein than regular yogurt.
  • rachel0923
    rachel0923 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    More protein = more filling!
  • Seginns
    Seginns Posts: 39
    Options
    It's thicker, not as sweet, and keeps you full longer.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    You've still got to buy some. Buy the plain, nonfat. You must have been looking at full-fat or lowfat. The nonfats are 120 cals (as someone already said).

I use it for everything - dressing, instead of cheese, instead of mayo, in guacamole, instead of sour cream, with a tiny bit of honey or a little fruit.

It is one of the best new fodds I found through MFP.
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt = No High Fructose Corn Syrup too...

1 Packet Powder Ranch Dressing Dip + Greek Yogurt = Veggie Dip
  • proverbs31chick
    proverbs31chick Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    And it doesn't have nearly as much carbs as some of those other yogurts, I completely took activia out of my diet, and I am not sure about the sugar but its not as high as the other yogurts and it doesn't have fructose corn syrup, it just seems more natural
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    It has more protein and it's lower in sugar. It varies wildly from brand to brand, but to me there is simply no comparison between Chobani Greek Yogurt and any lite yogurt.
  • SueN113
    SueN113 Posts: 46
    Options
    I buy the Chobani non-fat yogurts. They are great and come in awesome flavors. They are way more filling, no fat, lots more protein!
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    It has a lot more protein than regular yogurt.

Ditto.
  • eveunderground
    eveunderground Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    The key is to read the nutrition facts and look for the brands that say 0% fat. As mentioned above, the best kinds are 0grams fat and 120cals, with 18g protein. I made the mistake of buying regular full fat greek yogurt once because I wanted to try a brand that was more organic (and I forgot to check the nutrition facts for everything else), and it was really high in fat and calories (15grams of fat per serving, 260 calories, and only 8g protein). I won't ever make that mistake again.