Bodyweight Buddies!!!

Options
Hello, despite what seems like all of my friends follow or say I am trying to transition to an all body weight routine. I well know the power and various benefits of it and just how much muscle you can build despite what many may believe. I just wanted to reach out and see if there were anymore people that want to or have transitioned to bodyweight and got results. I love watching people like Frank Medrano, Hannibal for king, and the barzstars.

What did bodyweight do for you or do you think it can do for you? Could you drop the weights for good?

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    i've been thinking this way myself lately. i think im going to switch to a bodyweight routine once i hit my goal weight. theres alot to strive for in bodyweight routines, its wicked to think of the things you can just with a pull up bar once you progress far enough. good mix of strength and endurance in these types of routines for sure

if you havent checked it out yet go to fitness666.com they have the progression of each exercise from the easiest to hardest variation, pretty cool stuff
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I enjoy some bw stuff, but I'm not sure I'd go bw only.

For me, they're all tools and I'd just use whatever tool/schema I felt was best getting me to my goals. That could be bw or kettlebell or barbell or plyo or whatever.

If you stranded me somewhere without equipment though, I'd be perfectly fine doing bw stuff if I had to. I'd probably miss some treasured exercises though...
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I do bodyweight only because it fits my needs at the moment, but I think it's a mistake thinking of it as an "either/or." It's just tools to reach your goals and work around your constraints. Some goals and constraints will be better answered with iron.

Also, even the most serious powerlifters incorporate bodyweight exercises.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I am pretty much body weight only. A little wee bit of sand bag work, but mostly for conditioning not strength. I haven't lifted actual weights in over 8 years now.

You should also check out Al Kavadlo
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    y do u have 2 choose?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    y do u have 2 choose?

^Wondering the same thing
  • KettyLoyd
    Options
    Body weight is good, but only when it suits you. Weight with a good physique, looks great. The actual weight of body is muscle weight. So, try to gain weight with good physique.
  • heidispideymfp
    heidispideymfp Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Oh my. I just posted a similar Q.
    I'm wanting to start the You Are Your Own Gym program because I am not a gym member.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Hello, despite what seems like all of my friends follow or say I am trying to transition to an all body weight routine. I well know the power and various benefits of it and just how much muscle you can build despite what many may believe.

What are you actually wanting to achieve? Knowing the objective informs the response, as its not binary.

BW work suits my objectives and circumstances.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Oh my. I just posted a similar Q.
    I'm wanting to start the You Are Your Own Gym program because I am not a gym member.

Do it. What are you waiting for?

I'm doing the Convict Conditioning program right now as I like the structure and it's easy for me to do a set and change a diaper and then do another set and get some juice, etc.
  • NoLipp
    NoLipp Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Personally I just hate lifting weights. It is so insanely boring to me. No matter what music Ive got :P I follow Frank Medrano's routine and im lovin it. Being able to just move your body in any which way possible is the kind of freedom and results im looking for with my exercising. I found that his calisthenics program would be great for doing just that. He even includes diet tips. Not seeing much result so far, but ive only just begun. Gonna keep at it and stay motivated
  • daniel_parrett
    daniel_parrett Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    when i first started working out, i did body weight routines daily for 4 weeks before i had the confidence to go to the gym (was at 340 lbs and very self-conscious at the time.) helped me to know i could do complete sets without looking like a total wimp.
  • Siran12001
    Siran12001 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the standard routine from the website startbodyweight.com. I've now done it for about 3 months and see real progress.
  • kinmad4it
    kinmad4it Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Just started the same program myself.
    Kept injuring myself at the gym and decided I don't need to spend over thirty quid a month on being so unfit I can't go to work. Got a few kettlebells, suspension trainer, weighted vest and a pull up bar already so I've got everything I need for a very good home gym and know I won't injur myself anywhere near as much sticking to mostly body weight stuff.
  • earthnut
    earthnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I am a beginner and I want to do bodyweight. It's free! And doing pushups or a chinup seems like more of an accomplishment to me than lifting stuff. I just like the idea. :)