IIFYM

Options
2»

Replies

• smcdevitt07
    smcdevitt07 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I would die if my carbs were under 100 haha my goal is to keep increasing my carbs
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Technically, I do. But I have yet to have a single day where every micro has been met and I have a surplus of calories that require being filled with less nutrient-dense food.

There is never an issue with having to avoid nutrient-dense food because it would be extra credit. Every day, I have credit left to work on.
    On different days are you under on different macros and over on others? If the rolling average on your micros is ~100% (possibly less depending on your metabolic demands), there isn't much concern. Your body doesn't throw out all your vitamin C, calcium, and iron overnight and start the morning at 0.

Additionally, given the imperfections in the data base, and the fact that potassium is not required to be listed on labels, knowing for certain from logging whether you've hit micros is really not something that's going to pan out.

I follow this philosophy:

I aim to hit my macros with my main meals comprised of nutrient-dense foods, and make sure I include plenty of protein, vegetables, and some fruit and fats. When I've sketched in the basics of my day, I see what's left and what targets I didn't hit. Sometimes that means adding more protein powder to my smoothie, sometimes that means eating ice cream.
    I use USDA entries to track my foods, so I really do know how much K I'm taking in. And like most Americans, it wasn't enough. I do much better now.

USDA entries take some getting used to and they don't have every single thing in there, but are really helpful for those who want to know if they're routinely low on this or that.

I track all my micros and have a very good idea of what I eat. That's how I know where I need work!

...unfortunately, I never have that day where eating another veggie would just be "extra credit." I hope to get that balanced one day, though! :)
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Yes indeed, if I feel like grilling a bacon cheese I will do so, aswell if I'm feeling like reeses pb cups.
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    nickatine wrote: »
    Yes indeed, if I feel like grilling a bacon cheese I will do so, aswell if I'm feeling like reeses pb cups.
    Oh my gosh, look at my diary! Grilled cheese with bacon is totally what I just had for dinner. I regret nothing.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    nickatine wrote: »
    Oh my gosh, look at my diary! Grilled cheese with bacon is totally what I just had for dinner. I regret nothing.

Haha I meant to write bacon cheeseburger, but yes food is food and there is no reason to be afraid of any one food unless it does not agree with you.
  • smcdevitt07
    Options
    I love when I eat pizza and wake up feeling leaner the next day haha
  • WheelingGirls
    WheelingGirls Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I feel like it's good some days... But you can get soooo much more food if you eat whole foods. 1 medium pizza is like 1500+ calories. I could eat so much more for 1500.
  • smcdevitt07
    Options
    I do agree with you @WheelingGirls
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I would if I could figure out how to get all that 'effin protein in a day...
  • aprilanne147
    aprilanne147 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    @lemurcat12 it's supposed to be 40/30/30 (p, f, c). Daily is about 1800 cals. Hahahaha, something is wrong. I just aim for over 100 p each day.
  • mandy4matt1996
    mandy4matt1996 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I do IIFYM but with mostly clean eating 40p/30/c/30f I cycle through 1500 to 1800 calories depending on if I am cutting or what have you.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you don't need that much protein, although I don't think it hurts you (and over 100 seems reasonable).

I do a similar number of calories (keep changing it) and in theory am 40% carbs, 30% the other two, but even that puts my protein higher than I need it. I'm used to 130 g or so protein so don't worry about it, but I also don't worry if I'm below (but over 100) and am in theory trying to bump my carbs up some.

I think this is the shortcoming of focusing on percentages vs. grams, since what might make sense at 1400 doesn't when you start being more active or putting your calories closer to maintenance.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I always figured that MFP was IIFYM anyway... Done it from the start before even hearing of IIFYM.

My protein goal is 25% now I think though. I'm typically over, but I'm 133-134 pounds so more than 110g is overkill.
  • Kalikel
    Options
    Oops, I thought you could eat whatever and didn't know there were specific goals. I don't do that. Low fat, medium protein (or low, improving) and high carb. I guess I lied when I said I did it. Oops.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Oops, I thought you could eat whatever and didn't know there were specific goals. I don't do that. Low fat, medium protein (or low, improving) and high carb. I guess I lied when I said I did it. Oops.

I think the confusion might be because we had one thread recently where flexible dieting and IIFYM were being discussed jointly (not as if they were the same thing, but in the same thread). Both often get described as possible forms of "moderation." Flexible dieting means eating a generally nutritious diet that satisfies your needs (which for some people might mean getting a minimum amount of protein, as well as adequate veggies and so on) and then eating what you like as extras once those needs are met (as you understand it). That's probably similar to what you do. It's also roughly what I do.

IIFYM is the same except there is a greater focus on hitting precise macros (by gram or percentage), likely because it originally came out of the bodybuilding world. It DOESN'T mean hitting any particular macros (such as those recommended at the site iifym.com, which is not an official site, it just uses the name). What your macros are depend on your goals and personal preferences and could even be low carb or high carb if you were specifically trying to hit those numbers (for example, an 80-10-10 plan). But it DOES mean focusing on trying to hit (or be close to) specific macros. I don't really do that myself, because although I care about protein being over 105 and various other things, I don't really care about how much fat vs. carbs I eat. I tend to eat at certain percentages and those seem to work for me, but if my preferences shifted I wouldn't care much so long as they were working for my goals (which are currently more fitness-related than weight loss).
  • Kalikel
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I think the confusion might be because we had one thread recently where flexible dieting and IIFYM were being discussed jointly (not as if they were the same thing, but in the same thread). Both often get described as possible forms of "moderation." Flexible dieting means eating a generally nutritious diet that satisfies your needs (which for some people might mean getting a minimum amount of protein, as well as adequate veggies and so on) and then eating what you like as extras once those needs are met (as you understand it). That's probably similar to what you do. It's also roughly what I do.

IIFYM is the same except there is a greater focus on hitting precise macros (by gram or percentage), likely because it originally came out of the bodybuilding world. It DOESN'T mean hitting any particular macros (such as those recommended at the site iifym.com, which is not an official site, it just uses the name). What your macros are depend on your goals and personal preferences and could even be low carb or high carb if you were specifically trying to hit those numbers (for example, an 80-10-10 plan). But it DOES mean focusing on trying to hit (or be close to) specific macros. I don't really do that myself, because although I care about protein being over 105 and various other things, I don't really care about how much fat vs. carbs I eat. I tend to eat at certain percentages and those seem to work for me, but if my preferences shifted I wouldn't care much so long as they were working for my goals (which are currently more fitness-related than weight loss).
    Yup, that would be the confusion!

I can't even hit the recommended amount of protein most days, much less 100. Just thinking of 100 makes me realize I'd be in years if I tried to eat that much. No IIFYM for me. Flexible dieting, though, I guess. :)

I wish all the IIFYM peeps well, though. Enjoy! :)
  • knoelledi
    knoelledi Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Ok so questions...1. Do you just track macros and 2. Do you eat back what you gain with exercise (based upon what MFP tells you)?
  • TeeC56
    TeeC56 Posts: 12 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    ohmscheeks wrote: »
    I would if I could figure out how to get all that 'effin protein in a day...

Tuna and whey protein powder is how I do it
    knoelledi wrote: »
    Ok so questions...1. Do you just track macros and 2. Do you eat back what you gain with exercise (based upon what MFP tells you)?

I track both calories and macros. Don't always hit the macros precisely right, but if the calories are still below my limit I don't let it bother me too much.

Personally, I don't add exercise on here. I just don't feel like there is really a method that can measure calories burned accurately enough to bother with it