Macros?

Options
How do I know what my macros should be set at for weight loss? I am 5' tall and weigh 153 lbs.

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, it's all about eating fewer calories than you burn.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    If you have more specific physique goals, like losing fat and not muscle (which should be your goal when wanting to lose weight), then macros matter. You want to eat enough protein to support muscle repair and enough fats to meet the RDA, carbs are preference, but do help you keep your workout intensity and energy high.

You can start with 0.8g protein per pound of body weight, 0.3g fat per pound of body weight, the rest in carbs. You can adjust these numbers around to see what makes you feel the best on your diet, but don't go too much lower on protein or fat.

Also, you'll want to be resistance training, diet and training have a symbiotic relationship. It's not enough to just do one. Again, this is for losing fat and not muscle.
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, calorie deficit is all that matters. But for health and muscle retention, macros are important.
    Protein .8 (min) - 1.6 (for strength training or endurance exercise) per body weight in kg (lbs/2.2), carbs 40% - 65% of daily calories (min 130g), fat 20% - 30% of daily calories. Focusing on vegetables, fruit, lean meat & whole grains will help you get adequate vitamins & minerals and still allow room for treats.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    calories are by far and away more important than your macros for weight loss...look at your macros for nutrition and balancing out your nutrition...they are also important to fitness performance and can play a roll in body composition...they have little to do with weight management.
  • clairenicole84
    clairenicole84 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the information. I appreciate it.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    Definitely meet that protein minimum to retain muscle. I personally focus on getting adequate fiber and protein and don't worry so much about how carbs/fat fall. (I'm set to 40/30/30)
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
  • Janice4945
    Janice4945 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Confused
  • prettywingss04
    prettywingss04 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »

yay i love seeing advice from u ! this was a really good explanation, thanks!
  • vismal
    Options
    Janice4945 wrote: »
    Confused
    It's hard to help you if you don't say what part is confusing you...

• clairenicole84
    Options
    Vismal, it won't let me see what you posted. It just looks blank. Do I need to change my settings or something?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Vismal, it won't let me see what you posted. It just looks blank. Do I need to change my settings or something?

It's a video from some fitness trainer guy.

You can just start with MFP default macros and try them for a month.
  • clairenicole84
    Options
    OK. Thanks!
  • vismal
    edited July 2015
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

It's not from some fitness trainer guy, it's a video I made. The basic MFP macros are atrocious for anyone who might want to maintain lean mass while they lose weight. They start you off on quite a low level of protein. Protein both helps with satiation and is muscle sparing. The link to the video is here: youtube.com/watch?v=7cc18wLJW3k
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    MyFitnessPal’s current default goals distribute calories as follows: 50% from carbohydrates, 20% from protein and 30% from fat. I found that was too much carbs and not enough protein for me, so I shoot for 40% from carbohydrates, 30% from protein and 30% from fat.
  • mollynjean
    mollynjean Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Look up "eat to perform" or "iifym". I am following the eat to perform method. Lots of yummy food to build a strong body AND lose fat that will stay off. Slow and steady wins the race. Yes, just causing a calorie deficit no matter what will make the number on the scale go down. But without proper fuel, you'll be losing lean muscle mass as well. Leading to "skinny fat." Good luck! You can do this!
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I started with the mfp default (20-30-50 protein-fat-carbs) and was happy on that for a while and was losing weight. I recently changed my macros to 30-30-40 (protein-fat-carbs) and found I am less hungry with fewer cravings, which is making weight loss easier (I am losing about the same as when I was on the other macros, but it seems to be less of a struggle because I am not hungry and craving now). I stayed at the same calories. So my advice is to see what combinations of macros work best for you in terms of hunger, cravings and being able to eat the foods you like, as long as you do not go below the mfp minimums.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I think, and I am no expert, you must hit a certain amount of proteins and fats for health. It seems most people have protein between 20 and 30%, with active people needing more - even 40%. Fat has traditionally been just over 30%; some poeple go higher (75%) and some go lower (lowest I've seen is 10%). The rest is filled in with carbs; I've seen values from 5% to 70% with 30-50% being the most common.

This is a macro calculator:
    http://www.macrofit.com/macro-calculator/
  • clairenicole84
    edited July 2015
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    yarwell wrote: »

It's not from some fitness trainer guy, it's a video I made. The basic MFP macros are atrocious for anyone who might want to maintain lean mass while they lose weight. They start you off on quite a low level of protein. Protein both helps with satiation and is muscle sparing. The link to the video is here: youtube.com/watch?v=7cc18wLJW3k

Thank you. I will definitely watch this.
  • clairenicole84
    Options
    Thanks everyone, for the suggestions. I really appreciate it.