overweight doing yoga

does anybody have difficulty getting into certain yoga poses because their own bodies get in the way? there are some poses i simply cannot get in because my thighs are to big. please tell me im not alone.

Replies

• twofastdogs
    twofastdogs Posts: 37 Member
    There are a lot of poses that are hard for people to get into, due to size or lack of flexibility or both. Are you taking a class? The instructor should be able to give you modifications so you can find a variation that you can do. Also, some poses are easier with blocks or other props. Don't worry - you are not alone. Hang in there!
  • You are not alone. There are some poses that involve bending forward that I cannot do because my belly gets in the way. And I have trouble in other things to because the bob's get in the way.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    You are NOT alone. If your instructor is any good, s/he should be able to give you variations, but bottom line: if it hurts, DON'T DO IT! And for some inspiration, google "Any BODY can do yoga" or "overweight yoga" for some awesomely inspirational pics that prove that yoga IS for ANY body!
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    There are a lot of poses that are hard for people to get into, due to size or lack of flexibility or both. Are you taking a class? The instructor should be able to give you modifications so you can find a variation that you can do. Also, some poses are easier with blocks or other props. Don't worry - you are not alone. Hang in there!

This! My boobs are often an issue - I nearly smother myself in plough pose. Props can help a lot, strategically placed blankets and blocks can make all the difference. Are you practicing in a studio? Could you ask for some alterations to the pose?

For some inspiration, check out this girls blog or Instagram. http://jessamynstanley.com I started following her because it was helpful to see how poses looked when someone bigger is doing them. She's amazing!
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Don't feel bad or alone! There were many poses I couldn't do when overweight and there are still many poses I can't do now that I'm not overweight. Just challenge yourself but don't compare yourself to anyone else in class. The instructor should be showing you modifications if you can't do certain poses.
  • bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member
    Google Meghan Garcia. She specializes in plus sized yoga.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    edited July 2015
    YES! Even just the corpse pose, I can't get my spine to lay flat because my butt makes it curve :/ My stomach & boobs make child's pose really hard and it's supposed to be a rest pose lol!! I always get a facefull of boob during downward dog. I figure as long as I'm doing my best, it's okay. My butt might be waaay up in the air during child's pose, but I'm working on it! I'm really good at the butterfly for some reason, so that makes up for it :) maybe make sure to find a yoga class that gives alternative moves for when you can't get to a move. It's not fun to just sit around doing nothing while people do complicated things around you. I have teeerrribbleee balance, so the instructor gives an alternate against the wall, etc. I usually go where there's a lot of older people, so they're closer to my level than say a hot yoga class downtown with people my own age.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    You are not alone. I may be down to a healthy weight, but my calves are large from running and get in the way sometimes. Do not worry! Do your best and have your instructor help with modifications, if necessary. It's called a yoga practice, not a yoga perfect. ;)
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Right, I can't do some poses. Downward Dog, my upper body strength can't hold my weight...but I keep at it.
  • terr91payette14
    terr91payette14 Posts: 38 Member
    well im doing mostly at home youtube videos because im short on money but i still want to get my workouts and such in. i love yoga and how it makes me feel so that and walking are my go to right now. i find it so taxing to do some of the moves. my thighs are constantly in the way along with my boobs and butt lol. childs pose is very hard to do too. i cannot do it how they show in the video, my butt does not rest on my heels at all lol. im happy to know im not alone in this struggle lol :smiley:
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Big guy chiming in with another hell yes. My belly gets in the way quite often. Look up, if you're on ig, @biggalyoga @ambitiousphoenix @ambivalentmind @currentlyunderrepresented and @nolatrees. all bigger yogis and inspirational ladies!
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    In case people don't know (I didn't know for years) when you do child's pose you can modify it so your knees spread out to the edge of the mat or wider or narrower. Now my belly and breasts sink to the mat and my back is flat.

Finding an instructor that discusses modifications is such a huge help. It's why I occasionally take beginner's classes to brush up on form and/or ask about a mod.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    mochapygmy wrote: »
    In case people don't know (I didn't know for years) when you do child's pose you can modify it so your knees spread out to the edge of the mat or wider or narrower. Now my belly and breasts sink to the mat and my back is flat.

Finding an instructor that discusses modifications is such a huge help. It's why I occasionally take beginner's classes to brush up on form and/or ask about a mod.

That's how I do child's pose. Otherwise my boobs are crushed and it's not very restful. Depending on how my neck and shoulders are feeling i also don't tuck my arms to my sides but have them relaxed near my head. There heaps of modifications out there - yoga for everyone! I've been practicing for a while and comfortably 'intermediate' rather than beginner (so chuffed when my instructor said that) and I still don't look like the videos/Instagram people. Yoga is a practice not perfection.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    For those that can't get into child's pose: it has to do with flexibility, not body shape. That's one of the many reasons it is good to go to a class of your peers (going to a class with people roughly the same age/size you are) - you can see what is possible. I teach a class where the average age is around 70 - those women are amazing.