To eat or not to eat.

Options
It's Late and I think I might want to eat. What have you done, that was successful, to combat the late night eating.

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Do you have the calories? Then eat. Timing of eating is irrelevant.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I've saved calories up through the day to eat them at night.

Or I've not worried about going over a bit one day because there's no way I'm going to bed hungry.
  • lenetwilight
    lenetwilight Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It totally depends on what you would like to eat. Try not to have any carbs because your body will only store them therefore making you gain weight.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    It totally depends on what you would like to eat. Try not to have any carbs because your body will only store them therefore making you gain weight.

Sorry, but that's completely wrong. It doesn't matter what you eat or when. Eating carbs at night does not magically mean they store.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Do you have the calories? Then eat. Timing of eating is irrelevant.

This.

Sorry, but that's completely wrong. It doesn't matter what you eat or when. Eating carbs at night does not magically mean they store.

And this.

If you're always hungry late at night, eat less throughout the day so you have more calories left at night.

It doesn't matter when you eat. If you fly across the world, you don't have to keep eating at your home time's hours. Your body still burns energy whether you're awake or asleep.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I tie myself to a bedpost, like Odysseus lashing himself to the mast to avoid the Sirens' call.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I go to bed. I know that my late night snacking isn't my body telling me it's hungry, it is my body telling me I need to sleep, but I confuse it for hunger because I consciously want to stay up longer. But nope, this is my body telling me I need sleep, not snacking, and so I go to bed so I physically can't snack.

Or if it really is a bit too early I have a bag of low-cal popcorn.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

please. stop. educate yourself. thanks.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    and op...

if you have calories, eat whatever you want.

i like to have a snack in the evenings, so usually save some (or, most usually, pre plan what I'm going to have). it usually involves chocolate. LOLOLOL
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Go to bed, go to sleep or have sex or both.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    If this is a regular occurrence then start to base your intake on a higher calorie intake later in the day.

I eat most of my calories late in the day/evening/night as that's what I prefer to do.

Makes no difference to overall goals.
  • Nanogg55
    Nanogg55 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I tie myself to a bedpost, like Odysseus lashing himself to the mast to avoid the Sirens' call.
    I almost spit my tea on my keyboard!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I just stopped. I decided that it wasn't working for me and quit doing it. It wasn't super-easy at first, but it wasn't super-hard. I've done harder things.

I wanted to stop, though. When you want to do something, it's so much easier to accomplish. :)
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options

I've lost 66 pounds eating carbs almost every late night. My n=1 experiment shows that I have more productive workouts the next AM if I eat more carbs than usual the evening before.

OP, if you're hungry, eat. If you're boredom eating, get a hobby. I like saving calories for the end of the day myself.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It's Late and I think I might want to eat. What have you done, that was successful, to combat the late night eating.

I didn't plan this, it's just how my life is, but I eat dinner really late. And then I just stop eating. I'm not hungry again before bed.
  • ShapelyLady
    ShapelyLady Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This whole thread is funny. Thanks everyone for your insight and humor. I usually do have calories by the end of the night, so I will try to save enough for the kind of snack I want.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I've saved calories up through the day to eat them at night.

Or I've not worried about going over a bit one day because there's no way I'm going to bed hungry.

Ditto. Otherwise I wake up hungry at 3 AM and that messes up my whole day.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

131120433381.jpg

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I usually do save calories for an evening snack or two. But if I don't have the calories left or I'm having an extra-hungry night, I find that a cup or two of decaf tea usually helps me out.
  • MirandaD0313
    MirandaD0313 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    If you tend to get hungry later at night I suggest slimfast! I use the powder and just make a shake. Fills you up for bed but it won't hurt your weight like the snacks will