A few questions I need answered =)

Options
kristinhull1
kristinhull1 Posts: 294 Member
Hey all. My Names Kristin. I am 24 years old. Im 4'11 and 180lbs. I live a lightly active/sedentary lifestyle. I live in Ohio. I have a 2 year old Son and a Fiance who ive been with for 9 years coming in April. Im not even gonna say its been 3 weeks since I started my weight loss because I got discouraged around week 2 and stopped even trying. I was walking for a hour 4 days out of the week. Doing dumbell work 1 day of the week and having 2 rest day so I could catch up on housework. I was eating what I thought was a calorie deficit at 1500 calories and trying to burn 300 calsx5 days of the week. I lost 5lbs. Went from 185 to 180. I was so excited. I kept eating what I was already eating and did the same workout routine but could not leave the 180's. The scale would just fluctuate between 180-185. Every morning id hope id see 179. Just wanted to be out of the 80's. And nothing happened. So I stopped all together. This isnt the first time I tried to lose weight. Last time I lost 15lbs and it seemed like I just couldnt lose anymore. Even after doing the same things I did for the last 15. No more would come off.

This time which im 2 days in now. I am eating the same things everyday except for at dinner. 4 egg whites, a piece of american cheese and one slice of wheat toast for breakfast. Lunch im eating 2 pieces of wheat toast with shredded chicken and a tiny bit of bbq sauce. Then dinner sometimes we have pizza, or meat potatoes and a veggie. Its always something different. Im doing workout videos 5 days out of the week. Walking 1 day out of the week and having rest day 1 day of the week.

MFP says I should be eating 1200 calories everyday and burning 300cals a day to lose weight.

My questions are is it okay to eat the same things everyday?
Should I take a multivitamin and does anyone have a opinion on which one to take?
How many calories do you think I should eat?
How many calories should I try to burn a day?
Do you take rest days?
Whats your workout plan?

Thanks everyone

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hey all. My Names Kristin. I am 24 years old. Im 4'11 and 180lbs. I live a lightly active/sedentary lifestyle. I live in Ohio. I have a 2 year old Son and a Fiance who ive been with for 9 years coming in April. Im not even gonna say its been 3 weeks since I started my weight loss because I got discouraged around week 2 and stopped even trying. I was walking for a hour 4 days out of the week. Doing dumbell work 1 day of the week and having 2 rest day so I could catch up on housework. I was eating what I thought was a calorie deficit at 1500 calories and trying to burn 300 calsx5 days of the week. I lost 5lbs. Went from 185 to 180. I was so excited. I kept eating what I was already eating and did the same workout routine but could not leave the 180's. The scale would just fluctuate between 180-185. Every morning id hope id see 179. Just wanted to be out of the 80's. And nothing happened. So I stopped all together. This isnt the first time I tried to lose weight. Last time I lost 15lbs and it seemed like I just couldnt lose anymore. Even after doing the same things I did for the last 15. No more would come off.

This time which im 2 days in now. I am eating the same things everyday except for at dinner. 4 egg whites, a piece of american cheese and one slice of wheat toast for breakfast. Lunch im eating 2 pieces of wheat toast with shredded chicken and a tiny bit of bbq sauce. Then dinner sometimes we have pizza, or meat potatoes and a veggie. Its always something different. Im doing workout videos 5 days out of the week. Walking 1 day out of the week and having rest day 1 day of the week.

MFP says I should be eating 1200 calories everyday and burning 300cals a day to lose weight.

yes, if that's how you like to eat. No if it's not

Should I take a multivitamin and does anyone have a opinion on which one to take?
    within 1200 calories you should be able to hit your macro and micro calorie requirements ..wide spread of vegetables, protein, dairy etc...I don't take one so don't have a recommendation

1200 is a nutritional minimum but you're short..you might be able to go lower

as many as you want but only eat back 50% of the burns you get from machines or MFP database because they overestimate
    Do you take rest days?

yes, i do...I follow a progressive resistance programme and rest days are crucial...but I'd still be walking around. 5 miles on a rest day, it doesn't mean do nothing it just means don't do specific intense workouts

Whats your workout plan?

i have a fitbit and aim for 10000 steps (5 miles) most days, I do gym workouts 3 times a week that incorporates 20 mins cardio and weights / calisthenics...I'm currently injured so my lifting is on hold but I do compound lifts with free weights too...I have a PT once a week for an hour who keeps my workout fresh

Thanks everyone
  • tayloralanj
    tayloralanj Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    My hurdle was getting away from "dieting" and making lifestyle change in general.

Your food snapshot shows me not enough lean protein and maybe too much processed carbs (bread/pizza).
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Its not ideal.

It would be better if you ate a wide variety of food and ate more fruit and vegetables. 2.5 cups of vegetables of 5 different types and 2 fruit is the standard recommendation in australia where i live. If you look up the nutrition data for a number of different fruit and vegies you will see what you get in terms of vitamins and if you look up what you are eating, you may see you are not getting very good nutrition. It would be good if you change your diet considerably. And in my view this is the best way to bring about easier weight loss and essential for keeping it off in the long term. Of course you can put on weight whilst still eating lots of vegies too but its easier to control your weight if you are well nourished.

I don't know but i think you should first see the endocrinologist and then possibly go adn see a dietician to get some help. If you don't want to do that then please try to educate yourself about nutrition and don't fall for any of the fad ideas. There are no magic foods (ie coconut oil, milk, cream). You should stop eating egg whites and eat the whole egg. Eggs are nutritious and they are not harmful. I am not sure that its good to eat the equivalent of two eggs every day. Try fried tomatos on wholegrain toast, with some onions and mushrooms on the side instead.

Most people who are very overweight do not need to do any exercise at all to lose weight. You just need to fix your diet and eat less. I mean exercise is good for you but diet is more important for losing weight.

Do you take rest days?
    If you are exercising a lot, you should take rest days. At least once a week, more if your training is very intense or very long.

Whats your workout plan?
    I walk on the beach around 4 times a week. Its about 2 km long and i try to walk fast. On the way back i do short sprints to increase my cardiac fitness. I don't want to spend a lot of time on fitness. It gets boring after a while. I have only started this recently. I lost all my weight without exercise last year. I put some back on have been up and down a bit since then. But nowhere near back to where i started from.

When you are seeing the endo, ask him about weightloss and tell him you are trying to do it and ask if this condition you've got is making it harder.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    to lose weight, yes its ok to eat the same thing every day. nutritionally, you might want to vary your foods and so you dont get bored, you might want to vary your meals.

i take a multivitamin but should you? idk.

what you should do is invest in a food scale, then weigh and log everything!
    what you should do is get a HRM to get an idea of how many calories you burn.
    what you should do is read everything, then figure out what works for you.
    what you should do is understand that weight loss isn't linear and typically if something was working the previous week it should work the following week.
    and you should definitely read the posts queen suggested.

• kristinhull1
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I see a endo August 24th and I will ask her.
  • Danixkm
    Danixkm Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    It is but as others have said it would be better to switch things up to avoid getting bored with the foods you are eating

I think people have covered this and I agree. You don't need a multivitamin if you're trying a large variety of foods with good nutritional value. You can get a better effect from your food than a multivitamin

As much or as little as you want. A good rule of thumb is eat back only 50% of what this site tells you you burn since it loves to over estimate.

Do you take rest days?
    I do and it is strongly advised to take at least 1 day rest a week but again, as said that doesn't mean you need to be completely sedentary, just avoid strenuous workouts. A walk on those days is fine.

Whats your workout plan?
    I'm currently doing circuit training for up to 45 minutes 6 days a week, plus walking and Tae bo when I can (gone the past week without it)
  • kristinhull1
    Options
    Thanks for you answer @Danixkm