So bummed out

Options
Well I kept my calories between 1200 and 1500 all week, logged 154 minutes of moderate to high intensity cardio and gained 2 pounds. What is up with that?!? Why bother.

Replies

• caileigh321
    Options
    you might be gaining muscle it weighs more than fat xx
  • ChantalD75
    ChantalD75 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    could be muscle gain... have you gotten all your water in?? water water!! it helps!!!
  • mzprettiekittie
    mzprettiekittie Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I know you must be feeling awful, sometimes the body just retains water, maybe thats why ? Also make sure you eat the full amount of calories that you need. Don't give up hope! I'm sure the scales will start to go down soon :flowerforyou:
  • 4jenniferk
    4jenniferk Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Because fat burned can equate to muscle gained and overall you will start to be healthier and more fit. Can't give in that easily. You have to make it a lifestyle to get the results and keep them more importantly.
  • cherubcrnp
    cherubcrnp Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are drinking your water....you will hold onto water if you aren't drinking enough. And if you are doing strengthing exercises...you are building muscle which weighs more than fat
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Muscle....you gained muscle I am sure.
  • Kagrizzo
    Kagrizzo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! My husband and I have been keeping our calories low and exercising together. I gained weight and he lost 2 pants sizes. Hang in there. Sometimes I feel like I'm tighter in the midsection, even if the scale doesn't show it.
  • PamDW
    PamDW Posts: 246
    Options
    It takes time.... patience between the downhills, uphills and plateaus... If you really want it... it is worth the wait!!! It will come. Also look at your sodium intake and make sure your diet is well balanced.
  • cbaines74
    cbaines74 Posts: 77
    Options
    You will start losing, I went through this too, I was ready to quit, I started feeling better after I exercised though and increased my water and then the weight starting dropping, I look forward to TOM though, that's when I lose the most :noway:
  • Andee08
    Andee08 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad. I gained 6 pounds during my first 2 weeks and now I am losing at least 1lb per week even though I am eating so I only lose a 1/2 lb every week.
  • Sociallysavvyva
    Sociallysavvyva Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I had that same battle and then I realized I was gaining muscle as the other comments pointed out. Everyone's body makeup is different. Check your measurements along with your weight and see if the numbers are changing. Focus on loosing fat/inches instead of pounds. Don't give up on the workouts or eating right; you will see results!
  • Kporcher
    Kporcher Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement and for sharing your experiences. I do feel better and will stick to it.
  • quiarga
    quiarga Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Someone already mentioned it but watching your sodium intake is really important for weight loss. Too much sodium (ie salt!) will cause your body to retain water. Drinking plenty of water and cutting down on your sodium should get you past this plateau. Keep it up!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    You have not gained 2lb of muscle in a week. Sorry, I know people are trying to be kind, but it's not that quick and easy to build muscle. I only wish it was.

What might have happened is that the muscle you already have is retaining water, or that you are underestimating the calories you're eating. I strongly suggest that at first you weigh everything you can (except really low cal stuff like salads) to get a good idea of portions.

The other thing is, your body fluctuates in weight naturally day by day. Minimise this by ensuring you're weighing yourself at the same time every day, preferably first thing in the morning, naked, after going to the toilet and before having a drink.

You might also want to measure your waist, hips, chest etc. I often find that if I've not lost weight for a while, I've still lost a from my hips.

Well done with your efforts so far, if you are eating 1500 calories a day and working out you WILL see the difference. Don't be discouraged!