baked potatoes for breakfast

Options
i was never much of a breakfast person but i always do get hungry during the day so i was thinking that baked potatoes are very filling and have quite low calories so can anyone see any cons of doing this?

Replies

• cbaines74
    cbaines74 Posts: 77
    Options
    HMM...sounds good, I wanna know some answers myself to this one:wink:
  • nitashagarcia
    Options
    i wouldnt see why not...i know there are some people that have their carbs in the morning to have energy throughout the day!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,118 Member
    Options
    Just make sure to have some protein and fat with them. Protein and fat are the keys to staying full. Maybe a little nonfat yogurt and a piece of turkey bacon with it? Or an egg and some milk?
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    i loved baked potatoes! i don't see anything wrong with eating them in the morning. i eat one with lunch about 3-4 times a week.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    No cons as far as I can see. If you eat the potato with a healthy fat source & a little protein, you have a complete meal. And the fat will help lower the insulin spike that you would usually get from eating a potato.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Protein gives you more energy than carbs.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    yeah, might want to get some protein but you don't need to eat breakfast food for breakfast.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I think you'd be better off with some hard boiled eggs. Protein will keep you satiated longer, and an egg is only 70 calories per!
  • ChristinaRamos
    Options
    You can probably get away with a 1/2 c, just add a lot of protein to it! (and I don't mean sour cream and cheese) lol
  • BomDiggity
    BomDiggity Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Why not??? People eat fried potatoes for breakfast -- why not a healthier baked potato???

I, myself, have been known to eat a salmon burger for breakfast!!
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i have a friend that does microwaved yukon gold potatoes for breakfast.
    i, personally, would add some greek yogurt and maybe a slice of bacon or cooked lunch meat
  • trejon
    trejon Posts: 203
    Options
    I tend to eat my meals in reverse! I have lard dinner like meals for breakfast and/or lunch and for dinner I have light breakfast or lunch foods. Kinda makes sense when you are trying to lose the pounds. More time to burn it all off.
  • BomDiggity
    BomDiggity Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    That's a great idea -- I've replaces sour cram with Greek Yogurt. Great potato topper!!
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Skip the Carbs and go for the Protein. Some Carbs just before a workout is okay but used just to fill you up will not work. Carbs will fill you up but only short term not long term and in the end you can eat more because the full feeling doesn't last.

If you go for the Protein or Protein/Fiber combo you will eat much better, giving your body fuel to burn fat and build lean muscle and it will keep you fuller longer than Carbs.

Best of Luck!
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good idea - like others mentioned though, try to add some healthy fat & protein. I've added cottage cheese to my baked potato before, gives it the creaminess of sour cream but with a protein boost! No one ever said breakfast had to be typical "breakfast" foods!
  • kmp327
    kmp327 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a delicious start to the day. A trainer I once worked with said eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a peasant. The theory being that you have all day to burn off what you eat in the morning, so it's best to eat all your carbs first thing. But then other people say it makes no difference.

I say whatever fuels you through lunch (or to your morning snack), and is manageable is what you should eat!
  • Micheller1210
    Micheller1210 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I like a sweet potatoe,or yams,baked with ricata chese or cottage cheese and or just plain with cinnamon sprinkled on it,don't need to add sugar they are sweet enough......I also like a hot baked potatoe cubed and tossed into my salad.
  • kkellam1
    kkellam1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Just be careful of the calories. A potato can easily creep up to about 300 calories depending on size and type, then depending on what you put on it things can get out of control quickly. No need to eat a half days calories in one meal. It's certainly a healthier alternative to some other foods, but portion and calorie control is important.

Personally I love baked potatoes, but I would rather invest the calories in something with more nutritional value. I cut out baked potatoes (or potatoes of any sort) when I started the weight loss thing. I think I have treated myself twice so far and had a half of potato each time.