strength training- lower body bulking!!

Options
I've always had thick legs- walk and cycle for 2 hours a day.i started lifting at start march and while liking changes in upper body, my legs are just waaay too thick now. Was thinking of dropping squats and deadlifts and sticking to weighted single leg glute bridhes and kettlebell swings . I know im losing potential to add muscle to legs but maybe in a year or two after ive lost alot of body fat ill give it a try again
What do ye think?

Replies

• JayTE83
    JayTE83 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Do not limit your leg workouts thats a great way to start getting body imbalances, not a good thing. If you have naturally thick legs, you should focus on more stretching exercises for your legs rather than bulking ones. But do not drop squats and deadlifting, just adjust weight and for higher rep ranges and more sets. Weighted front, back and side leg raises great for stretching the fibres but also doesnt over stimulate the growth of muscle mass. Leg abductor exercises all good for tightening and toning, and lots of air kicks, leg circles and jumping will all tighten your leg muscles. Obviously as you lose bodyfat your legs will slim and be replaced with muscle, but as you add muscle your legs may appear larger as muscle grows under fat not on top of it. Keep at the hard work though.
  • JayTE83
    JayTE83 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Sorry to reiterate your legs may get bigger temporarily, but will start to shrink.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Look up Michelle Lewin. She has been able to soften her physique quite a bit. She posts most of her workout stuff online.
  • Fujiberry
    Fujiberry Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Are you pear shaped? Do you naturally hold more fat in your lower body?

Are you at a surplus or deficit? You said "in a year or two once I've lost a lot of bodyfat", but you think that you'll add a good amount of size to your legs?

DO NOT skip your leg workouts. Muscle imbalances are no fun. Walking/biking are endurance builders, not really strength/muscle.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Couldn't you continue to use the same weight and reps and just maintain your current muscle/strength but avoid increasing it since there would be no progressive overload?
  • wombleval
    wombleval Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've been eating at a deficit for years so while my scale weight is normal Ive more fat than i like on thighs and *kitten* so reckon lost alot of muscle over the years. Im been eating almost at tdee since started weight training 5 months ago and my thighs have gained almost an inch while upper body is tighter but same measurements. Im working slowly upto tdee amd plan on doing a cut in about 6 months and a bulk when i feel ive lost enough fat to comfortably add a half stone again.
    My upper body is proportionally longer than my legs so at 5 feet tall you can imagine how short the legs are!! Ive read that even higher reps can still build muscle? Ive been doing 10 rep range. Should I aim for 20 reps?
    Or do the stretching exercises?
    Or keep current weight to maintain current muscle??? Aaaagh too much choice!!
    But Im clear that I cant ignore lower body - glad asked here!!
    Ps My cycling is on hills alot -reckon that's why already a good amount of muscle even before I started the weights.