Over 50

Options
Breathe234
Breathe234 Posts: 15 Member
Battling the scale my whole life. Remember Jane Fonda low impact aerobics? I actually still have the VHS tape. Also a bunch starring Kathie Smith and Denise Austin. Got a gym membership, free weights, those stretchy bands, a yoga mat and a step.
Kids are big, got time now to eat right and exercise but yuck! I want to drink wine and watch Hot in Cleveland reruns. Need some friends to haul *kitten* with me. Anybody interested?

Replies

• fattylivis
    fattylivis Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name's Dawn aka fatty livis in mfp. We have some common factors and i'm always checking in on friends trying to urge them to continue on the diet wagon. Don't manage to convince everybody but ultimately it's the other person's will to continue. Good luck on this journey
  • delivered2015
    delivered2015 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Too funny!! I just turned 50 and remember those VHS tapes and all the things you bought! Me too! Need to lose 30 lbs. My husband and I love to go out to eat and have a few drinks but we do it way too often and it is keeping me stuck. I've also joined Dry August thread under the Getting Started forum. We are planning to give up alcohol for a month to help us in our weight loss goals. I know it won't be easy but join in with us if you'd like! Good luck on your journey.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    There is a great group here on MFP for over 50. You might want to check it out.
  • reillysloss
    reillysloss Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    OMG, it's like I wrote this post lol!! I feel like my life is on auto replay, I just keep losing and regaining the same lbs over and over. I have never stuck with a diet plan until I reached my "goal" so I have never learned to maintain the weight loss. Hopefully this time will be different for all of us!
  • ljcny
    ljcny Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    OK!! How do we become 'friends' and support each other!!? That's what I really need right now! I checked out so many other groups and they seemed so established. I'm ready for new friends and support!!
  • ohgeeque
    ohgeeque Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Oh thank god we don't have to exercise in striped thong leotards over tights anymore. How the heck did butts survive? Yoga pants are sooo much more comfortable.

I started my "fitness journey" a few months before my 50th birthday when I realized 50 wasn't freaking me out but unfit and 50 was. The MFP support has been great, I don't think I would have made it this far without it.

You've raised children and apparently survived with your sanity and sense of humor intact, anything else is easy-peasy.

You got this. :)
  • brookrd1
    brookrd1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Would love to join you ladies, I can totally relate!!
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Breathe234 wrote: »
    Battling the scale my whole life. Remember Jane Fonda low impact aerobics? I actually still have the VHS tape. Also a bunch starring Kathie Smith and Denise Austin. Got a gym membership, free weights, those stretchy bands, a yoga mat and a step.
    Kids are big, got time now to eat right and exercise but yuck! I want to drink wine and watch Hot in Cleveland reruns. Need some friends to haul *kitten* with me. Anybody interested?

I still have the Jane Fonda tape, too. The first one she ever made. I remember plugging it in the for the first time in the early 1980s. I kept up with it really good, but was about to pass out when she said, "Okay, now that we're finished with our warm-up, let's get started!" I've never watched it since. But I do still have it!

Three miles a day of steady walking, or whatever other exercise floats your boat and keeps you going, and staying within your calories, might be slow but it's definitely better than gaining weight. If you like what I've said so far, I'll be more than happy to be your friend.
  • Suzflip
    Suzflip Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Turned 55 this year and so many of the comments above sound so very familiar. (I even lived in Los Angeles in the early mid-80's and went to the Jane Fonda Mothership - lasted about 15 minutes, and that was 60 pounds ago!) Can't ever remember a time I wasn't hypertuned into my weight - either struggling to get/keep it off or just given up and watching it climb higher and higher. The 50's have been a strange phase in my life, with so many of the "Is this as good as it gets" feelings popping up about career, life goals, empty nests, etc.

I never have the proverbial epiphany with any of the major events in my life - didn't quit smoking 17 years ago because I was scared of the inevitable consequences; it was when I got a great report that my lungs were perfectly clear that I realized maybe I should stop pushing the envelope. Same thing with so many young women's fears of needing to get married or their biological clock ticking, ticking, ticking (nod to My Cousin Vinny). Likewise, I dutifully go for my annual physical and unlike my husband and my friends (who go to the same doc) he never gave me the get healthy, lose weight talk. He never told me to lose weight and exercise but I worked really hard and lost 30 lbs and he never even noticed. Meanwhile, hubby and friends were getting counseled on using MFP and diet and exercise tips. My numbers were always great and I deluded myself into thinking, eh, what's the difference?

I was content, not necessarily giddy, but okay with my weight and if I had to wear a size 14 then so be it, I would wear it well. And I got very adept at only looking in the mirror from the neck up to do my makeup pretty flawlessly because I have good genetics and never sat in the sun. So, I'm not really sure what the catalyst is for making the commitment now; maybe it's the old "I'll show them all." Maybe it's just that deep down inside it really does bug me but I'm a master self-deceiver. Nonetheless, I'm going to make some positive changes. Started healthy eating and exercise commitment yesterday. According to my daily summary, I should lose 10 lbs in 5 weeks. That means I should reach my goal of 30 lbs by Thanksgiving!

I am looking forward to sharing the journey with you all.
  • Breathe234
    Options
    Well this is what I'm going to do.
    Tomorrow-Today, actually, Monday
    1. Exercise: Monday and Wednesday workout--Stretch for even 10 minutes. Go to the Y and work out long and slow. Making a playlist now with chill songs like Smoothe by Santana and Why Can't We Be Friends? by War not Smashmouth, nice and easy . Then 20 minutes of weights for my arms and 10 minutes of stomach work on my bedroom floor
    4. Food: such an issue! I had success with everything until I went off (Weight Watchers, Suzanne Sommers, 13 day diet, NutriSystem, this 1200 calorie BS on MyFitnessPal ( 1200 calories=starving) What to do? I think the 1200 calorie BS. I have a ton of chicken I need to cook.
    5. I solemnly swear I will drink 8 cups of water and 2 cups of green tea.
    6. NO diet soda
    7. No wine

I don't have a goal weight anymore. I just want to do the five things above tomorrow, I mean today.

OK strangers on the internet, let's dance.
  • Breathe234
    Options
    I think I sent friend requests to everyone. I don't know if I was supposed to include a message. Although I joined MFP a while back I am new to actually using it. So anyone feel free to tell me if I do something wrong

I am also fairly knew with talking to people on the internet (everyone is so horrible, aren't they? On Facebook and the soap opera forum)
    But I'm going to give this a try. I hope to make a couple of girlfriends, have a few laughs and tighten up this backside.

• Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I am over 50...but less than 60, and mentally I feel 30. I love Dr. Who (its starting back up with its new season soon!!), am a baby spinach junkie (I go thru a bag a week), am a swimmer (2x a week), and I pull coconut oil thru my teeth every morning (starting tomorrow!). My husband and I love to dress up like 1940's vintage and go out dancing. I have two hats, and just purchased a "wiggle dress". My husband just bought his first fedora hat! I love this place, and both my husband I log on it every day and feel powerful, accountable people! Add me if you wish to :-)
  • terriblossom
    terriblossom Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Well I am over 50' and over dreadfully overweight. I made a start today and hopefully I can continue so I hope this group is for me. My progress so far signing into this group.
  • Annr
    Options
    Welcome @terriblossom This is a great site...For me it gives me such a feeling of accomplishment when I have logged in, exercised, drank my 8 8z glasses of water. Take each day and start going from the moment your feet touch the floor :-) Remember Losing weight is not the key to happiness, happiness is the key to losing weight!
  • Breathe234
    Options
    Annr I am so jealous of anyone whose husband takes her dancing. Dressing up in 1940s vintage-you're just living the dream!
  • kelbry08
    kelbry08 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Would love to join you! I also had the Jane Fonda workout (leg warmers and all!). I'm soooooo tired of this extra weight. Let's do this!
  • Breathe234
    Options
    Hi Kelbry08. Thanks everyone who sent messages and friend requests.
    Today is yet another day . I have my long slow playlist and I am dressed in gym clothes-here's hoping I'll be happy with myself at the end of the day
  • Annr
    Options
    Breathe234 wrote: »
    Annr I am so jealous of anyone whose husband takes her dancing. Dressing up in 1940s vintage-you're just living the dream!

I have a long way to go to be Vargas Girl material!!

001_zpsbs7tq2j2.jpg
    But its fun dressing up. My husband gets too excited to really do any true Swing moves. Here I am trying to settle him down!
    008_zpsiqrivhrx.jpg
  • terriblossom
    terriblossom Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I got through Breakfast and finishing lunch. It is an eye opener logging all food down. I am going to get used to one thing and then proceed from there. 1. Drinking enough water. The food I am watching I get 2030 calories and have I think 769 left for rest of day. I realize I will have to figure out my days but first I need a few to get used to drinking the water. I am trying the fruit water too 0 calories. 1 step at a time.
  • delivered2015
    delivered2015 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Love the pics @Annr . All of your posts have made me giggle. Glad not to be alone. Logged my calories for the day and so far under 1500 and will do my best to keep it there for the night! No exercise for me right now as I have been put on restriction due to a physical issue. Have follow up this Thursday so hope to be released to at least walk on a treadmill! Good luck everyone:)