Whey protein or Protein shakes?

Options
I want to start incorporating protein shakes into my daily meal plans. However, I don't know which brand is ideal for me and whether to take whey protein or protein? What is the difference between whey protein and regular protein and what is your favorite brand?

Help please :)

Replies

• rcarri7661
    rcarri7661 Posts: 10
    Options
    There is also Soy Protein. Depends what you want it for Gain weight muscle stay lean or just a between meal replacement. Where ever you go they will help you out. Just be specific in what you want protien for.
  • shannieboo
    shannieboo Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Protein is protein. Your body doesn't care. I suggest for men whey or egg protein shakes (just easier to get in all the protein you need that way).. but for women, especially women who have female problems, I suggest soy protein or a combination of soy and whey. I battled endometriosis for decades, and it wasn't until I began powerlifting and needing all the extra protein that I stumbled onto a nifty little discovery: I put myself in remission drinking soy protein shakes after my workouts. I'm talking like 42 g of protein after a workout. It was amazing. So, up the protein in your diet, and it doesn't matter which kind, your body will put it to good use.. Just try to stay away from proteins that come with lots of saturated fats (steaks, etc).
  • ChristinaRamos
    Options
    I'm not sure if there is a big difference! My all time fave is the Vi-Shape meal replacement powder from Visalus. Check out my diary if you want. I've lost 31 lbs in 52 days!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Protein Shakes are either Whey or Casein (there might be others but not sure of them)
    Basically Whey is fast release and good for after a workout or first thing in the morning. Casein is slow release so good for just before you go to sleep, or throughout the day.

My favourite brand is Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% whey/casein. It's really easy to drink and comes in a range of flavours. Not too expensive either :)
  • JoeKrueger
    JoeKrueger Posts: 4
    Options
    Whey is a kind of protein that is fast absorbing. It's important for muscle growth and needs to be taken within a half hour of your workout. For years I didn't drink the shakes and now realize that I was missing out on a lot of muscle growth. There is also a protein called Casein that is slow absorbing. People that are lifting heavy will take this before they go to sleep because it slowly feeds your muscles protein all night as well as Whey protein shakes before and after workouts. My favorite brand is Champion Nutrition and I buy their products at a discount on supplmentcentral.com. Their product is low calorie, low carb, high in protein, and it tastes great!
  • aimbsl
    aimbsl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been doing soy protein shakes (brand: Herbalife) since March 9, 2011 and have lost 18 pounds. I replace 2 meals per day with these, usually breakfast and lunch, then eat a colorful meal. I have paid attention to cut back on carbs.
    The shakes are really delicious and you can make all sorts of good flavors by adding fruit, oatmeal, sugar-free pudding mix, sugar-free syrups, etc. so that you don't get bored with them.
    I take the Herbalife vitamins, too. I feel good!
    Good luck!
  • drasr
    drasr Posts: 181
    Options
    Whey Protein is produced from whey, a by-product of cheese production. Protein of choice for beginners. Then there is casein and creatine which are for more advanced body-builders. Optimum Nutrition gold standard 100% natural whey, vanilla is the one i use. It is all natural with no artificial flavors. 1 scoop gives 24 g of protein, 5 g carbs and 0.5 g of fat.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Whey protein especially if you are strength training. Its digested faster than other protein. You can find Whey protein powders that can be mixed with milk, water or both. I use Syntrax Nectur Fuzzy Navel flavor. Its mixed with water.
  • cheryl3660
    cheryl3660 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I use Designer Whey 100% Whey protein. The carb count and calorie count are lower than most.

Many of the protein powders out there are designed to add weight for body builders, so you have to do some research and decide what you want from your protein powder. I did some research and decided for me that 100% whey protein was best. I didn't want extra carbs and fillers. I wanted simple, clean, pure whey protein.
  • DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options
    Whey is milk based.... so if you are lactose intolerant or have milk aversion for any other reason, keep that in mind...
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    I would rather eat my protein than drink it, but in the event you are short on your macronutrient requirements, whey protein is an easy source. I love the taste and mixability of Gaspari's Myofusion.

No need to supplement protein around workouts. Meal frequency and nutrient timing are irrelevant in the context of proper daily nutrition. The digestion rates of proteins are irrelevant as well.

To put it simply, if you NEED more protein in your diet that you cannot/choose not to intake from whole foods, then a whey protein is convenient, BUT, it does not matter what kind and disregard anything having to do with the need to take before/after a workout, and disregard digestion rates.
  • princessveggiecake
    Options
    Best bet, ask your local hi-health. they should point you in the right direction.
  • arodriguez2
    arodriguez2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I just ordered an organic whey protein online (amazon.com) that has 0 sugars and no flavor...so I can add whatever I want to it :) I haven't gotten it yet, but the reviews were really great
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Options
    Protein is protein in the context of 99% of people's diets. Traditionally, people drink whey protein post-workout and casein protein pre-bed, and it can't hurt to stick to that... but the benefits of timing your protein are minimal.

I'd recommend looking at (1) cost and (2) taste. You don't want to break the bank on a supplement when you could be spending that money on whole foods and you want a protein shake that you can drink down. 100% Optimum Nutrition (Chocolate Supreme) and Myofusion are both decent choices.