New to myfitnesspal and GA/Need Tips

Options
EttaWB
EttaWB Posts: 201 Member
I was already overweight but since my transition from the North to South, which seems to be never ending, I have gained about 10 additional lbs (I'm sure at least 220-225 lbs). The many nights packing, working in the old house to get it on the market and now unpacking resulted in eating out almost every night. Needless to say, foods high in fat and dessert (pie ala mode) one of my true weaknesses.My father was diagnosed with diabetes in his 50's and two brother's in their late 30's. I made it through my 30's but have yet to approach 50. Regardless of the age and diagnosis, I need to live a healthier lifestyle. My knee is hurting and I get tired when walking up a flight of steps or a couple of blocks. My sister served as a good motivator and support person, but we are now almost a thousand miles apart, I know - excuses, excuses.

I finally admitted to myself that I have no motivation, no accountability to myself, and I don't like to exercise. This is long so I'll wrap it up I need suggestions for making little changes. I'll start with walking. Thanks,

Replies

• judyschick
    Options
    Everyday is a chance to get started. You can do it one day at a time. Just track you calories and you will see what you are eating in black and white. Don't cheat on listing things. It is amazing after a few days you realize what empty calories are and what foods are not worth it. I just started a few weeks ago and have lost two pounds already. I just try and do something of exercise everyday. Good luck on your journey. You CAN do this too.
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    You will love MFP! It is a great way to stay accountable to yourself and to your weight loss journey..trust me this is truly a journey! MFP is also a great tool for motivation since everyone here is on this same journey in their own way. Once you get started with it..you will get hooked. Good luck to you!
  • SMelson89
    Options
    one of the girls on here told me the best way to help you keep on track for losing weight is to make yourself goals and to reward yourself for meeting those goals. for instance my first goal is 185 and i'm going to reward myself with a new blender which will help me with staying on the right track as well, i can make smoothies and what not. Another of my rewards is new work out clothes, when i reach half way to my main goal i want to get family pictures made. So making yourself small goals and rewarding yourself may help you some, also letting other people know what your goals are and what you want to reward yourself with could help to. It lets other people know that you are serious about losing weight and its a reminder to you as well.
  • jmafte
    jmafte Posts: 46
    Options
    Set specific goals that can be achieved in a realistic time frame. Most people do not like to exercise, especially overweight people. You will find that if you stick to it, it will get easier, and much more enjoyable. As for your diet, it's all about self discipline. Changing the food you eat as a lifestyle and not just to lose weight. It will all come right back if you lose what you want to lose, and then start eating poorly again. After a while, walking flights of stairs won't be a tiring. It's all about self discipline. If you truly want to be in better shape, decide to be and stick to it. Walking is a good start.
  • EttaWB
    Options
    I have put it off each day. 2n day in and I already see where I went wrong - the McDonald's mcmuffin and one day I thought I could eat yogurt and granola for two meals and see where I used up a lot of calories on the granola. Thanks for the encouragement. I can do this.
  • 2youngatheart
    2youngatheart Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    HI ...just found this site...and so far looking around it looks like it is a great site. I have to loose about 30 more pounds. I have managed to loose about 17 so far. I needed to find something that I can be accountable too and this looks like it is great. I promise myself I will not cheat when writing down what I eat and if I exercise. So easy to have excuses and say this morsel doesn't count!
  • EttaWB
    Options
    Wow! I just looked back on this post, which was over four years ago. I'm sad to say I didn't get a good start and completely fell off. Just over a month ago I got on the scale and I was 2 lbs away from my biggest weight of 220. I made up my mind then and dealing with a few health issues sealed it. I have such a long way to go but as of today I am 14 lbs down. The next goal is to lose 15 by Sept 1. This time I'm not giving up.
  • BethMilledge
    BethMilledge Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me
  • EttaWB
    Options
    Thanks!
  • CullinsK
    CullinsK Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hello welcome to MFP. Congrats on your weight loss journey. If you're up for a 90 day challenge to progress, feel, see, and live a healthier body. Please join me in my group called 90 days(s) ToDropTheWeight. So that we encourage one another on our weight loss journey. The challenge will start August 16
  • EttaWB
    Options
    @CullinsK, what are the rules? I'm interested; however, I am going home for two weeks in Sept and I know that I am going to have a cheesesteak, hoagie and pizza before it's all over. If I treat myself a few times, am I ommitted? Thanks!
  • EttaWB
    Options
    Good advice @Iron_Feline. Hopefully most people know this isn't the be all end all. We too have to use common sense and know that every number isn't exact. But it's been a good guage and I'll continue until I get to a point where I feel confident about doing it on my own.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    First thing to keep in mind is that this is a slow process. You're not going on a diet, you're changing your eating habits. That's the one thing a lot of people don't realize. Diets are temporary, changing your eating habits will last your lifetime. Second is that you don't have to cut out foods you like. You just have to learn how to adjust how much of them you eat. There are no foods that are evil or going to sabotoge your day. There are just foods that smaller portions are better to eat.

What I would suggest is spend a week JUST logging. Weigh EVERYTHING. But don't make any changes just yet. You want a baseline of where you are and start looking for patterns. Do you eat more in the morning? Or are there foods that pop up a lot that are higher calorie than you think? Seeing your eating patterns gives you a starting point for changes. Once you have that baseline, then start making changes slowly and give yourself time to get used to them. Maybe swap out soda for tea or water. Just go slow and maybe one thing at a time. That way, you don't feel deprived of what you like and you can slowly start retraining your brain and body to accept smaller portions of things.
  • EttaWB
    Options
    Will do. I don't really drink soda. Maybe a few times a year so that's not the culprit. I'll keep at it. Thanks!
  • nakitadavis1984
    nakitadavis1984 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    @EttaWB I am in the same situation that you were in. Thank you so much for putting this one here. I need some help to motivate me to get this weight off. I am currently 305lbs and I am just now hitting 30. I want to be around for my daughter. Can I add you or you add me as a friend to keep me going?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    @EttaWB @nakitadavis1984 "just do it"!! As someone who is twice your age and started making changes a year ago at 301, I urge you to do it now and not wait until the weight takes it's toll any longer. Do not wait until the weight robs you of your physical and mental freedom for years and years, do not wait until you are faced with diabetes, joint replacements, heart problems, or whatever it might be. I had to "decide" which was more important to me -- eating the way I liked to eat or getting health and pain free. I decided to work with a personal trainer, because I simply did not have the ability to overcome everything on my own. This might not be an option for everyone, but there are many other support options available. In 13 months I've lost 95 pounds, 50 inches, and have gone from not being able to walk up my own driveway to walking a 10K, doing short run intervals, and all kinds of other things. I work out with trianer/class 3x a week and am loving it, although "exercise" was never my thing. Now I live for my workouts. I get noticeably stronger every week. My motivation is remembering how I felt mentally and physically a year ago and not wanting to go back. Every time I am tempted to skip a walk or overindulge, I just remind myself that if I am not going forward, I am going back to where I was. That is enough to keep me going.
  • EttaWB
    Options
    @nakitadavis1984, of course. We're in it together. It's not easy for those who have not made it a lifestyle in the past. And they might understand that it's not easy. We know how easy eating poorly and not moving is. Therefore, it's great to have someone encouraging you. But remember, no matter how much encouragement you have, this change requires a made up mind. I've been on this journey so many times I don't even remember the number. But at some point, we have to make up our mind and be determined that we are not going to fall off again. Once I lose a bit more, I will have an occasional treat. But the challenge is to not allow that treat to turn into the way. We can do this. Do or say something to motivate you each day. For us, this is similar to treating an addiction. Once we realize that we can be more successful. Find your triggers and tools to fight them off. Let's go - today, until tomorrow. Wishing your the best and much success.
  • EttaWB
    Options
    @lorrpb, thanks for sharing and the encouragement. As I said, I've done this way to many times. I do believe I have finally made up my mind. I am working with a trainer that's meeting where I am in my abilities. I see her 3x a week for 30 minutes. In regards to freedom, I have not had freedoom due to my health. I don't have diabets but I feel it in my knees and my heart races faster than it should when working out. My father and 2 brothers have diabetes so I should take care of myself. And the cardiologist says my heart works harder than it should when exercising but it should improve over time with gradual increases in my workouts. The body does tell on you, even if you can't see the damage it's happending. I still don't feel a drastic change in how I feel, as I'm still out of breath climbing stairs but I do feel better and have a bit more energy. Most importantly, for the first time in a very long time, I feel like I can do this. Again, thank you!