Birth Control

Options
Hello

I started taking birth control again. I have been working out for a month and eating better than what I was eating before. However, I gained weight! Is it possible to lose weight on these dang pills????

Replies

• ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    It is, especially if you're tracking your eating habits. I've lost a good portion of the weight I have while on the pill. Were you losing on the plan you are on now before you started? Keep it up.

The thing about BC is it can really throw off your hormonal balance in the beginning while your body adapts. This can also effect water weight. I would give it another month. If it's still resulting in a gain, perhaps you need to tweak your eating habits a bit, or evaluate if you're on the right pill for you.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I've both gained and lost weight on the pill. :p For me it didn't make much of a difference. Are you logging your food?
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Like ManiacalLaugh said, the change in hormones can definitely impact your water retention during the first few months. (Kind of like changes in weight due to water retention at certain times of the month, similar concept. I gain 3-4 pounds during my placebo week and have a mini-freak-out until I remember . . .) If you do gain a large amount, have an increase in headaches or migraines, severe cramping, or anything majorly unusual, definitely talk to your doctor about trying different pills. There are a lot of different hormonal formulations out there . . . your body might react better to others.
  • KrisiAnnH
    KrisiAnnH Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Gska17 wrote: »
    I've both gained and lost weight on the pill. :p For me it didn't make much of a difference. Are you logging your food?

yeah this ^^ When I first started taking the pill 4 years ago I was at my lowest weight (probably just over 10 stone) in those 4 years I've gained weight and now I'm losing again (down 23lbs so far). So it is possible to lose, and most likely not the pill causing issues.

One thing that did happen though was that I had crazy bad mood swings on the first combined pill I was given, and those mood swings would lead to cravings and bingeing. Because of that I switched pills and my moods are a lot easier to control. Doesn't mean I don't get cravings like everyone does, it just makes it easier to handle. Maybe talk to your doctor about other combination options? :)
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    PWatt2015 wrote: »
    I started taking birth control again. I have been working out for a month and eating better than what I was eating before. However, I gained weight! Is it possible to lose weight on these dang pills????

Which pills? Most don't cause much weight gain.
    When you say "eating better", do you mean you ate fewer calories? Or just healthier ingredients"?

• Dimanchewb88
    Dimanchewb88 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I started a new Ocella regimen in February due to a hormone imbalance. I've had my ups and down with weight and eating clean but ultimately, I haven't lost more than 5 lbs since then. I'm not entirely blaming the pills for my 5 lb fluctuation, but I can certainly say that it is a lot easier to work out and stay motivated when my hormones are in tact. I'm considering getting off of them when this pack is over. I plan to talk to my doctor this week
  • PWatt2015
    PWatt2015 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

When you say "eating better", do you mean you ate fewer calories? Or just healthier ingredients"?

When i say "eating better" I mean better ingredients. I am not eating fast food. Everything I eat is made at home.
  • PWatt2015
    PWatt2015 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I started a new Ocella regimen in February due to a hormone imbalance. I've had my ups and down with weight and eating clean but ultimately, I haven't lost more than 5 lbs since then. I'm not entirely blaming the pills for my 5 lb fluctuation, but I can certainly say that it is a lot easier to work out and stay motivated when my hormones are in tact. I'm considering getting off of them when this pack is over. I plan to talk to my doctor this week

Yeah, I took myself off the pill and gained 20 pounds in two months. I am back on the pill and my weight has not budged.
  • MirandaD0313
    MirandaD0313 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I know you said you've been working out but if you're lifting weights as well then you'd gain weight due to muscle mass.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

When i say "eating better" I mean better ingredients. I am not eating fast food. Everything I eat is made at home.

That doesn't cause fat loss. Only a calorie deficit leads to fat loss. All food has calories, and if you consume too many, or your activity level drops, you'll gain weight, regardless of what you eat.

You didn't answer the other question, but google the brand name to see if weight-gain is a common side effect.
  • ffbrown25
    ffbrown25 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    YES those dang pills made my weight fluctuate like crazy!! I now have the Nexplanon implant in my arm and I love it. I think it's estrogen free? Anyway, my weight is now steady once more. :blush:
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    If birth control has ant verifiable effect on metabolism, it would appear to raise it.
    So long as your logging and TDEE estimate ARE good, you'll still lose weight.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You say you're eating better, but are you in a deficit?
  • ffbrown25
    ffbrown25 Posts: 110 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    A very common side effect of birth control is fluid retention. It can add around five pounds to normal weight fluctuations. After time, the fluid retention is supposed to subside. It IS possible to lose weight on birth control pills, of course, but birth control pills can also stall progress for the first month or so you take them. Five pounds of fluid retention might not sound like a lot, but when you're already pretty fit, five pounds is NOTICEABLE and can really weigh you down.

OP, if you really think the pills are stalling your weight loss, and you're sure you are at a caloric deficit, talk to your doctor about switching bc methods. After having tons of horrible hormonal side effects with oral contraceptives (including weight gain!), I am very happy with my Nexplanon.