Macros/Heavy lifting/increased calories

Options
For a little while now Ive been lifting heavy (oly & powerlifting) 3x a week plus 2x conditioning/circuit training and keeping my calories low around 1300-1500 a day. I was questioning if I was eating enough as my TDEE on a lifting day can easily reach 3000+ leaving me with a huge deficit, but the thought of eating more scares me as I dont want to gain fat. I've been researching into macros and calorie calculators and found that the average I should be eating is around 2000cals/day at 20(c)/40(p)/40(f) does this sound right to anyone or am i completely wrong? currently weighing around 250 and 5"6 looking to lose around 50 pounds for now but not focussing too much on the scale as I'm lifting a lot and my body composition is changing quicker than the scale. Would really appreciate some advice!

Replies

• Rep4Him
    Rep4Him Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You'll have to find the macros ratio that fits you. I found a good lean muscle ratio is 45% carbs 35% protein 20% fat. That's what I follow but I eat close to 4000 calories a day. Maybe that isn't exact for you but you need more carbs and less fat IMO.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I have my macros set at 40p/30c/30f. I'm usually slightly over on protein and fat; slightly under on carbs. I eat 2000-2200 cals on lifting days (which is usually 5 days per week). I'm 5'3, 125lbs, 35 years old.

You could very likely eat more than 2000 cals/day and still lose weight depending on your workouts.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
  • charlotteellenm
    charlotteellenm Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    iifym calculator is what I used, Thanks for the advice I think Im going to try it for a few weeks and see how it goes im pretty sure I wont gain as Ill still be at a deficit
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    iifym calculator is what I used, Thanks for the advice I think Im going to try it for a few weeks and see how it goes im pretty sure I wont gain as Ill still be at a deficit

You may see an initial gain if you add 500 calories a day in one shot. You may want to reverse diet up to 2000.