5'3" at 135 lbs want to drop down to around 105-110 lbs

Options
Hi guys,
I'm new to my fitness pal but I've heard a lot of great things about it. So currently, as you can tell by the title, I weight around 135 lbs and I really want to drop down between 105 lbs-110 lbs. I know that may seem like too low of a goal but I actually used to weight that amount but I started gradually gaining weight, and here I am now. It really sucks though because I am a runner but I have been slowing down dramatically due to my increase in weight. I just wanted to know if there are other people around the same height that have been able to lose the weight, and how you guys went about achieving it. I think some motivation would help me out because I always plan on becoming "healthier" but 2 weeks later I find myself binging on loads of random snacks and things like that. So any stories and advice would be much appreciated!

Replies

• Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Hey there. Just start by eating less than you are now and you'll lose weight. I highly recommend weighing your food with a food scale. It totally changed my life! I eat everything I want, just in smaller amounts. You can have a look at my diary if you like (I think you can see it).

By the way, we're the same height and you're at my goal weight! Hopefully that boosts your confidence a bit ;)

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1"/135, started here at 155 but looking to get down to around 115. I think that your goal sounds healthy, just make sure you prioritize fitness over the number on the scale. I'd rather be ten pounds heavier and have a lower body fat percentage and be stronger and more muscular, versus ten pounds lighter and "skinny-fat".

Also, check out this group: community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/499-not-that-heavy-girls
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    If you can maintain at the goal you're aiming for that's fine.

I'm 5'3 and weigh 127, which I maintain in my range (126-129) pretty easily. At this weight, I wear a size 4, which never changes even when I have gone down to 116 (which I can't maintain) because really, I'm more or less sking and bone in my hips and my breasts simply stay the same size.
  • doutri2
    doutri2 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Following. I am 5'2 and 127#. I'd love to lose 10-12 pounds. I'm struggling with weight loss.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I am 5'3; I used to hang out in the 105-110 range. Honestly, the only way I was able to stay down there (and on me, at least, that is and looks unhealthily skinny) was by doing very little exercise. Basically just walking. Anything more intensive, and my body won't *let* me restrict. If I try to hold calories too low while running, interval training, weightlifting, I binge on whatever is around (not emotional or boredom eating).

I did, uh, overcompensate when I started distance running last year, and I'm in the process of losing some but not all of it. Again, I, personally, do not like how I look or feel in the range you're trying to get to. I am having luck by tracking what I eat and sticking to the right number of NET calories. That means yes, I am "eating back" the calories that I burn running and cycling. No starvation-binges. :) I am going very slowly and doing strength training along the way to try to preserve as much muscle as possible.
  • mhb1019
    mhb1019 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello...your story sound so much like what I am dealing with. First of all I am 5"3 myself and started out 6 months ago weighing 128 and now I am at 135 and sometimes 137. I don't know your age but it could be your hormones. I crave sugar and carbs and that can be brought on by hormone imbalance. If you know what the problem is then you can begin to fix it. Myfitness pal has been a lot of help keeping me on track with the amount of calories I am eating on a daily basic, but what I will say to you; you can do this because you are reaching out and that speak volumes. You sound like you are pretty active and once you fine the root cause of your weigh gain, then you are ready and motivated to fix it.
    #hanginthere!
  • katybeals2015
    katybeals2015 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi anjimale,

I know I'm really late on responding to this, so my apologies! I just was digging around the internet for other people that have a similar build to me, to see where their goal weight is. I'm 5'3", am currently about 109 lbs. I've lost 6 lbs since the beginning of this summer. (Also, some body history: at my heaviest, I was 130, and at my smallest, 105.)

I've also been a runner, (averaging about 3 miles per run, running at most about 7 at a time,) I've lifted weights, and recently I've started to do barre/Ballet Beautiful. My goal weight is somewhere around 105, because I have a very small frame. When I eat relatively healthfully but don't calorie count and exercise regularly, my weight will stay somewhere around 115 lbs. While this seems perfectly reasonable for our height, and many people would say is on the "skinny" side, it really depends on your body composition. I have a good friend who is 5'4" and is a regular workout buddy. Our diets are similar, and how frequently we exercise. She is about 122 lbs regularly, and 118 at her smallest. And she is inches smaller than me, even when I weigh 5 lbs less than she does! She simply puts on muscle easier, and has a larger frame. (Also has bigger boobs.) On her, 115 would look borderline ill, whereas on me, it looks skinny-fat.

Ultimately, the number on the scale doesn't matter that much. The inches do. So if you look your healthiest at or under 110, like me, then so be it. And THE BEST way to get there is by a healthy diet combined with regular exercise. Eating clean and drinking lots of water is the only and best way.

I inadvertently have been doing a bulk/cut these past few months. When I was lifting weights, I ate like a horse, and ended up at around 120 lbs. I put on muscle, but had extra fat that hid the muscle. Now I'm using MFP to do a cut, where I'm making sure that I'm eating enough protein/getting enough nutrients to maintain the muscle, while also losing fat. Really, it's not "weight" that you probably want to lose, it's fat. (The last time I was 105 I was basically only running, and had no *kitten* or abs. I was just skinny. I don't want big quads or anything like that, but I'm looking to be strong/have some curves.) MFP can help you get there if you're watching your macros and making sure the calories you do eat are mostly complex carbs, veggies, and most importantly lean meats.

BUT, if it's too difficult to organize your own nutrition/workout regimen, I'd really recommend looking into a diet/exercise program like Kayla Itsines' Bikini Body Guides. They seem to work wonders for people to help them achieve their goals. I'd definitely start doing some resistance training/HIIT in addition to running. Because your body is probably used to running, so it's not really speeding up your metabolism and helping you lose that fat anymore. Doing HIIT or resistance sends your metabolism into overdrive and burns most of the calories AFTER the workout is over, whereas when you're running (unless if you're doing sprints) you're only burning calories during the workout. HIIT and resistance is more bang for your buck.

Anyway I've rambled for too long now, but I hope that by now you've achieved your goals, or if you've temporarily given up on them that this helps you get back on track! :)