Shooping list??? help?

Options
What should be on my food shopping list for this week!?

Replies

• ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Step One: Figure out what meals you want to eat.
    Step Two: Figure out what ingredients go in those meals.
    Step Three: Generate list based on Step Two.

No one can tell you what you should be buying. Just buy food to make what you like, and track it to make sure you're under your calories for the day/week/whatever.
  • iwantmydenimback
    iwantmydenimback Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Step One: Figure out what meals you want to eat.
    Step Two: Figure out what ingredients go in those meals.
    Step Three: Generate list based on Step Two.

No one can tell you what you should be buying. Just buy food to make what you like, and track it to make sure you're under your calories for the day/week/whatever.

yep.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    Options
    Coconut209 wrote: »
    What should be on my food shopping list for this week!?

ummm whatever you want to eat?
  • supersocks117
    supersocks117 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Do you mean you want some new ideas/products to try?

I am really into Yasso Greek Yogurt Pops in the freezer section by ice cream. Mint Chocolate Chip I love. Salted Caramel is good. There are other flavors. 100 calories or so, a good amount of protein, a good portion size.

But I agree with the others, eat what you like and make it work. (My personal goal right now is less processed/sodium, more fruits and veggies)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Pick up some Nutella for me, willya?
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Ice cream please. ;)
  • ameligeeson20
    ameligeeson20 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Lots of fresh veggies, fish, eggs, avocados and I could murder a twix :D
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Pick up some Nutella for me, willya?

There is ALWAYS Nutella in my pantry!!

As for my typical shopping list:

Fage Total 0% Greek yogurt
    Granola
    Berries
    Chicken breast
    Olives
    Chick peas/beans
    Eggs

And bacon. Always bacon. REAL bacon, not Canadian bacon, or (gag) turkey bacon. Actual bacon. Usually center cut, but sometimes when I'm feeling naughty, I'll go for thick cut.

• baby_bokchoy
    baby_bokchoy Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If you want some ideas, today I bought low fat yogurt, unsweetened almond milk, mixed frozen berries, lettuce, baby spinach, low fat salad dressing, tinned chickpeas, butter beans, baked beans and tuna, and rice cakes. I like to eat a lot of smoothies and salads, and I roast vegetables like butternut squash and sweet potato in bulk to use on salads for a number of meals. Hope this gives you some ideas!
  • booksandchocolate12
    Options
    Normally I scoff at rice cakes as the quintessential "diet food", BUT: the Quaker caramel rice cakes are really good!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Just went grocery shopping yesterday.

My list:

Ice cream
    Protein bars
    chicken breasts
    frozen veggies
    Strawberries
    Bananas
    Pita bread
    Greek Yogurt
    Almond milk
    Turkey burgers
    PB2
    eggs
    Reese's PB Cups
    Quest Bars
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    A typical weekly shopping trip for me and my hubby goes like this:

I start in the in the produce section. Pick up some salad and snack makings (my standard for one week is 1 bag of mixed salad greens, 1 bag of baby spinach, 1 bag of baby carrots, and a 2-pack of organic celery hearts, a pint of mushrooms, and a container of cherry tomatoes); then I see what's fresh, in season, on sale, or inspiring (this week it was eggplant, corn on the cob, and watermelon).

Then, it's on to proteins. My go-to is a whole organic chicken--which I'll separate and skin and then broil with whatever spices inspire me.

By the time I have my produce and a chicken, then that guides wherever I go next. For example, this week, once I had the eggplant, I knew I wanted to make a backward lasagna (where the eggplant substitutes for the noodles) so then I picked up the ricotta, tofu, and pasta sauce for the filling.

Finished out the shopping list with a box of high-fiber hot cereal, some milk, maybe some thinly sliced or shredded cheese, and a package of whole wheat English muffins for easy breakfasts.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Just about anything around the perimeter of the store except pastries and white bread.
  • booksandchocolate12
    Options
    Oh! Forgot to add dark chocolate to my list!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Just went grocery shopping yesterday.

My list:

Ice cream
    Protein bars
    chicken breasts
    frozen veggies
    Strawberries
    Bananas
    Pita bread
    Greek Yogurt
    Almond milk
    Turkey burgers
    PB2
    eggs
    Reese's PB Cups
    Quest Bars

YOU, I like!

OP, get what you like to eat. Remember, this isn't about giving up anything, it's about learning moderation and eating in a deficit, to lose weight.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    -avocado
    -almond milk
    -chobani or dannon greek yogurt
    -sara lee bread or any whole grain that doesn't go above 60 cal per slice
    -eggs/ eggwhites
    -broccoli cauliflower carrots tomatoes spinach onion
    -rice beans
    -chicken breast
    -turkey ground meat
    -oats old fashion or quick
    -mozzarella shredded cheese
    -cottage cheese
    -strawberry bananas pineapple
    -cheap granola bar, any kind with minimum 10g of protein
    -peanut butter
    -things like black pepper/gulden's mustard/splenda/spices; depending if I'm going to run out of them soon

^^ that's my usual list, but really it should be about what you feel like too eat that you should buy.

good luck :smile:
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Just about anything around the perimeter of the store except pastries and white bread.

qtggz05n8t5d.jpeg

OP, again, you don't have to give up anything.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Normally I scoff at rice cakes as the quintessential "diet food", BUT: the Quaker caramel rice cakes are really good!
    They're FANTASTIC! I like plain, UNsalted rice cakes, too. But those caramel ones are so freaking good. I always have those around. But I like rice cakes. Most people don't.

The Kellogg's Raisin Bran with the cranberries is pretty damn yummy.

Peas. Make some pea soup. If you don't have one you like, watch Alton Brown's "Give Peas A Chance" show for a good start on pea soup.

Buy yourself some whole wheat flour (you can get white, unbleached whole wheat - I like King Arthur and most stores stock it) and make yourself some whole wheat bread. Buy some peanuts and make peanut butter. But some raspberries and make jam. Then have yourself a PB&J sandwich. :)

Come back next Sunday from more info on what you should buy. :)
  • bethlynne97
    bethlynne97 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Do you mean you want some new ideas/products to try?

I am really into Yasso Greek Yogurt Pops in the freezer section by ice cream. Mint Chocolate Chip I love. Salted Caramel is good. There are other flavors. 100 calories or so, a good amount of protein, a good portion size.

But I agree with the others, eat what you like and make it work. (My personal goal right now is less processed/sodium, more fruits and veggies)

I agree about the Yasso Greek Yogurt pops. I tried the coconut ones and they are AMAZING! You'd never know they were a healthy option just by eating them. They taste deliciou, and really help satisfy a craving for something sweet or tropical.
  • bethlynne97
    bethlynne97 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you want some ideas, today I bought low fat yogurt, unsweetened almond milk, mixed frozen berries, lettuce, baby spinach, low fat salad dressing, tinned chickpeas, butter beans, baked beans and tuna, and rice cakes. I like to eat a lot of smoothies and salads, and I roast vegetables like butternut squash and sweet potato in bulk to use on salads for a number of meals. Hope this gives you some ideas!

Oooh! Roasted sweet potatoes are fantastic! And if you need a little more flavor, I like to add a sprinkle of garlic powder. Mmmm! My favorite way to eat them