Resting sore abs

Options
zyxst
zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
For all the peeps who workout, how do you rest a muscle group your body uses all the time? I went on a walk yesterday and found a swing set at a park, so I did 5 minutes. When I got off, my abs were a little sore, like "WTF did we just do?" sore. They were sore the rest of the night because I did more walking. Slept fine. Woke up fine. Abs began complaining about 4 hours ago and don't shut up unless I'm reclined. I'd rather not spend the rest of the night either reclining or laying in bed since I like to eat (no walking = no calories burned to make up for the food I ate).

Replies

• plaffo786
    plaffo786 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I always feel it's better to rest sore muscles the day after then stretch and test the next day, that's what works for me anyway
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I usually work the weaker parts of my body the day before a rest day. That way they are only mildly sore the next time I have to train. To a degree, most of us work through sore body parts. We also take note of what parts get sore easy to plan exercise around that and to make sure it gets special focus to bring that weak point up to par.

If all you are doing is walking you may just have to suck it up and walk despite the sore core.
  • zyxst
    Options
    It's really weird that eating makes me feel fine. I don't have a problem working through it. I haven't been on a swing for at least 30 years so I get the soreness is normal.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Many of us are on structured programs that allow for resting certain muscle groups through splits/full body schedules with a rest day in between. There's also a certain amount of soreness/DOMS that we just work through. Unless something is tweaked or out of whack, I'm going to be working out even when sore.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    It's really weird that eating makes me feel fine. I don't have a problem working through it. I haven't been on a swing for at least 30 years so I get the soreness is normal.

Eating fills the stomach which pushes out on the abs, giving them support. We also flex our abs more when they are sore.
  • zyxst
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »

Eating fills the stomach which pushes out on the abs, giving them support. We also flex our abs more when they are sore.

9ztvhhqcdd8e.gif

Explains things, thanks.