Is my "Goal" weight too low?

Options
I have maintained my 110+ pound weight loss for over a year with a small gain recently due to a medication issue. My goal weight is 150, I am at 176. My lowest was 169. Am I trying to achieve something that my body is not willing/able to do or do I need to switch things up?? Should my goal weight be more like 165?
Thanks!

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Unless you're extremely tall and muscular, 150 sounds like it'll be fine.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?

Your goal is up to you. Might as well try and see what happens.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    noelbugley wrote: »
    I have maintained my 110+ pound weight loss for over a year with a small gain recently due to a medication issue. My goal weight is 150, I am at 176. My lowest was 169. Am I trying to achieve something that my body is not willing/able to do or do I need to switch things up?? Should my goal weight be more like 165?
    Thanks!

I don't really believe in set points, if that's what you're asking. As someone else said, whether 150 is too low depends on if you're very tall or have a lot of lean body mass. For most women, it's fine.

Are you just tired of the deficit? Maybe just maintain for a while until you get off the meds or are ready to start cutting again.
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    *Shrugs* I am ~117 pounds and still have a bit to lose. I'm 5'4 though, and slim built. It all depends on your body. You can always have a go at BMI? It's a bit useless but it might settle your mind?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    noelbugley wrote: »
    Thanks!

I'm sorry but it's impossible for anybody to tell you that

It depends on your height, frame, bone density, musculature and genetic predisposition to where you carry fat. It also depends on your personal body aesthetic ideal

My goal weight was 165 at 5'8, (BMI 25) I dropped more finding maintenance and now fluctuate around 157 with a BF% around 23-24, I am happy with my body at this scale weight range ...

I suppose the question you need to ask yourself is are you happy with yours

I also don't believe there is any set point weight for people
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    What is your height? According to BMI, 150 is within the healthy range for anyone under 6'3". If you want to know what a healthy range would be for you, there are many BMI calculators online that will give you a broad range of weights that would be statistically low risk for someone of your height (and sometimes age, depending on the calculator)

Whether or not it is a good goal for you personally, you are the only one who can answer that. Some people do well near the bottom of the BMI range, but others find that they feel better near the top.
  • mom2my4boys
    mom2my4boys Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hi! It's hard to say without knowing your hight and weight. I have lost 105lbs and have been wondering the same thing re: my goal of 150lbs being too low. I'm fluctuating between 170-175lbs.(My thinking is that I probably have 10lbs of extra skin and I have tons of muscles for a girl) I know I still have some to loose but not sure I have 25lbs without burning through some muscle.

I hope some more experienced people come along to help you out.

And whatever you decide to do, just know that you rock! :smile: -Sherri
  • arb037
    arb037 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Firstly, lets be clear BMI is an archaic and outdated method at determining health levels.
    Example, Dywayne Johnson( the Rock) 6'4" est 275 is considered clinically obese. Which is rediculous considering his ACTUALL physical condition.
    A better method is by choosing a bodyfat% you would like to be at. Look online for bodyfat comparison pictures to see what certain percentages look like and aim for that, and go with whatever "weight" that ends up being.
    Generally for women the "average" or normal is between 20-25%. 15-20 is more athletic and toned. And below 15% is bodybuilder and really not healthy for long periods of time.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    arb037 wrote: »
    Firstly, lets be clear BMI is an archaic and outdated method at determining health levels.
    Example, Dywayne Johnson( the Rock) 6'4" est 275 is considered clinically obese. Which is rediculous considering his ACTUALL physical condition.
    A better method is by choosing a bodyfat% you would like to be at. Look online for bodyfat comparison pictures to see what certain percentages look like and aim for that, and go with whatever "weight" that ends up being.
    Generally for women the "average" or normal is between 20-25%. 15-20 is more athletic and toned. And below 15% is bodybuilder and really not healthy for long periods of time.

BMI is still a decent population measure and it's a good enough goal guideline to head towards if you're clinically obese and want to lose weight... There are not that many professional bodybuilders amongst us

The research I saw showed at an individual level about 30% outliers on the BMI scale and IIRC accounting for those at extremes of height as well as those who have more serious muscle composition.

BF is a great measure but very difficult to get an accurate reading. Also acceptable ranges differ with age group.

I think there is nothing that is particularly perfect across the board so we use what we've got
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    arb037 wrote: »
    Unless you're an exception (e.g. old, pregnant, very muscular), BMI is a good measure to let you know if you're overweight or underweight. It works fine for most of us. You can be overweight or underweight and still have the BMI say you're in the normal range, but for most of us, the opposite isn't true.

And The Rock still has a large body. He's not fat, but he does weigh more than most people.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Height?