Training for October 1/2 marathon....

Options
Crunch time.....! I'm officially signed up, no turning back now. Nutrition is a high priority to my training. I'm a full time wife, mother of 3 and 40hr a week employee. I welcome all tips and stories to motivate and inspire

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Woohoo! How much are you running or walking right now? Are you planning to run, walk, or Galloway (alternate run/walk) the HM? I did my first one last summer and it was a blast!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Super! Is this your first? Have you been running or are you starting from scratch?

Best tips I can give are run often, run easy, and build up slowly.

Run 4 times a week minimum (one long run per week).

Run slowly so you can talk during the run (and walk after :) ).

Build your mileage slowly over the weeks. By October you should be running 20-25 miles per week, but right now you should only do what your body can do easily.

I'm doing my 2nd HM in September (Va Beach) and I may do one more this year in October (Hershey).

Good luck.
  • kelFowl
    kelFowl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am doing my 2nd half in October as well. 2 kids, full time high stress career.
    I run first thing in the morning when possible(before the world wakes up). It prepares me mentally for the day and 1 thing off the daily check list.
    If I can't work in my miles that morning, I split my mileage up into morning and night. Long run is always on the weekends. I use Hal Higdon for my training, it worked well last time. I print off my run schedule leading up to the half... One on fridge and 1 at work, that way people can see if I am doing my training and Check mark each day I complete.
    Crock pot meals are great for the family , let it cook while you rock through the day. Good luck and remember this quote.. "Mind over Muscle"
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I'm also running a half in October (and one in September). What training plan are you using? I used Galloway for my first one and then various Hal Higdon ones after that. This time I'm using a plan from Runner's World. Half marathons can be addictive - I've run 4 and a 25k since last October!
  • martinshanna
    martinshanna Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It really is motivating and reassuring to to hear from others who are in the same boat. In reply to questions, this is not my 1st 1/2 marathon. With that said, comes more pressure. After completing one, you realize where all your shortfalls were...training, nutrition of course balancing family and work! Now having a "official PR" time to match or beat is stressful. No one wants to run another and have a worse time. I love the idea of taking my training schedule to both work and home, my friends and coworkers will follow up
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    It really is motivating and reassuring to to hear from others who are in the same boat. In reply to questions, this is not my 1st 1/2 marathon. With that said, comes more pressure. After completing one, you realize where all your shortfalls were...training, nutrition of course balancing family and work! Now having a "official PR" time to match or beat is stressful. No one wants to run another and have a worse time. I love the idea of taking my training schedule to both work and home, my friends and coworkers will follow up

Just remember that not every race will be a PR. It makes the entire experience much more enjoyable.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    my wife uses the paid version of RunKeeper and is very happy with her 1/2 marathon training program on there. She is an avid and experienced runner...the app really helps her to stay on track training wise and also helps her keep from overtraining which is one of her (and my) weaknesses fitness wise.

make sure you're eating to fuel the work load and recovery.
  • martinshanna
    Options
    Does anyone have a go to pre-run meal or snack?

I always reach for crunchy natural peanut butter right out of the jar, but would love some other ideas.
  • ffbrown25
    ffbrown25 Posts: 110 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

I always reach for crunchy natural peanut butter right out of the jar, but would love some other ideas.

I run first thing in the morning, before breakfast. But I always make time for two big glasses of water before I head out, and sometimes a cup of coffee! My post run breakfast is always one egg and two egg whites scrambled with cheese, two meatless sausage patties and some cherry tomatoes. It's not as heavy or calorie dense as it sounds, ha! But it's loaded with protein.
  • kaittx13
    kaittx13 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options

Before my long runs, I usually have a piece of bread with peanut butter and a cup of coffee. Before my regular weekday runs, I drink some water and head out the door.
  • FireStorm1972
    FireStorm1972 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    I have my 2nd 1/2 Mid September, did my 1st May of this year. My goal this round is to get under 2hours as I was at 2:03:15 and thats with a knee injury kicking in during the last 5k and being deathly ill in the last 3 weeks before the event. I used Hal Higdons Novice 2 program. I usually run a 5/10/5 (KM), Tues/Wed/Thur, and 14+Km on Sunday or Saturday pending how I feel. Due to work schedule during the week I run early evenings and on the weekend mid or late mornings. I always go for oatmeal and yogurt 1.5 hours before a long weekend run or just a granola bar for that mid week 10k. As others have said that long weekend run is important to get your endurance up, try and keep a "talking" pace, speed will come later. Listen to your body as I didn't and over trained and was out from running for a month due to ITBS, gained 10lbs but honestly feel better on the long runs and have dropped 30sec per km off my pace :)
    Add me if you want, always looking for running buddies, especially when the motivation is low.
  • dinsfamily
    dinsfamily Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Good luck!! I start my next training season in August with halfs in Dec and Jan. I found that my second half was the easiest to PR because I had more knowledge of the race distance and better training. Beat my time by 15 mins. I hope you feel the same way on race day.

I usually do a half a banana and some gatorade before the run on race day. I have friends that even have a cup of coffee before long runs, but I'm too chicken to try that!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    My training for my October half started this past week also.

:)
  • FireStorm1972
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I also unlike most use a gel on my long runs and 1/2. GU chocolate is my favorite and the caffeine deffinitly gives me a boost.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    On my longer long runs (10 miles+) I always have a Honey Stinger waffle with my hot tea about an hour before I run. As I get closer to my race (and my weekly runs get longer) I also eat a Honey Stinger gel at the half way point. And when it is really hot I drink gator aid instead of water on the course. I'm sure the waffle and gel aren't really necessary, but I figure they will help me eat back some of the calories I burn (which I almost never do).

Like you my goal is to be faster each race but that will not drive me during the race. I plan to have fun and not worry about the time until the finish line. :)
  • martinshanna
    Options
    I too love gels for long run days, this was a game changer for me :) I never carry water on runs but have been considering a running camel back. I'm worried about the "sloshing" effect you can get from drinking too much or the "sloshing" on your back! Anyone have one that can provide feedback?
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    If you never carry water a camelbak sounds like overkill! (nothing to a litre +). I don't carry water either but if I want to for some reason I just use one of those belts that holds a 500ml bottle in the small of your back. I don't fill it up to the top as I know I won't drink it all.

People who do use the water bladders avoid too much sloshing by squashing all the excess air out when they've filled it.
  • dinsfamily
    dinsfamily Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I too love gels for long run days, this was a game changer for me :) I never carry water on runs but have been considering a running camel back. I'm worried about the "sloshing" effect you can get from drinking too much or the "sloshing" on your back! Anyone have one that can provide feedback?

I have to carry water on long runs here in Tx. I have 2 handheld waterbottles with straps, 12 and 20 oz. The straps really make a huge difference over just holding something. The 20 is a little heavy and the 12 doesn't hold quite enough for over 10 miles in the Tx heat even with a refill or two. I'm thinking about getting a belt, but am worried about bouncing and sloshing. I wonder if bouncing would be more of a problem with a Camelbak.
  • FireStorm1972
    Options
    I wear a Fuel Belt, 3 bottle option. holds about 750ml of water usually lots for me on normal days. I think the bottles are 7oz each. Has a pouch for my gel/gels, just added a larger pouch to hold my key and ID for the races. I barely notice the Fuel Belt while running.