Now I'm curious....

CrystalClear
CrystalClear Posts: 18
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
I started MFP about 1 1/2 weeks ago and its been amazing and has really kept me on track :happy: :happy:
However I did my weekly weigh in today and I lost 6 pounds (which, don't get me wrong, I am completely ecstatic about :bigsmile: )

Even though I am happy about the weight loss, I am curious as to how much of this is actual fat loss, or if alot of it is just loss of water weight. I have heard that in the beginning people lose lbs quicker, but I am wondering why. Can anyone help me out?

Replies

• I started MFP about 1 1/2 weeks ago and its been amazing and has really kept me on track :happy: :happy:
    However I did my weekly weigh in today and I lost 6 pounds (which, don't get me wrong, I am completely ecstatic about :bigsmile: )

Even though I am happy about the weight loss, I am curious as to how much of this is actual fat loss, or if alot of it is just loss of water weight. I have heard that in the beginning people lose lbs quicker, but I am wondering why. Can anyone help me out?
  • renae77
    renae77 Posts: 3,394 Member
    I think that in the first week or so you loss a lot of water weight. keep on going and don't give up though. You will see the pounds coming off and you will be so happy about that! Good luck and keep up the good work!
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    i was wondering the same thing. I lost 2 pounds this first three days and thought the scale was wrong.
  • jennib06
    jennib06 Posts: 101 Member
    I know that alot of overweight people, especially women do not drink enough fluids throughout the day causing them to be dehydrated. Because of this, your body stores everything that is taken in, causing your weight to go up, up, up. Once you start to drink plenty of fluids, your body will start to release the water it had been storing. At first, you are going to loose lots of that water weight, which depending on your size could be 10lbs-40lbs+ After that has come off, and during the process, you will begin to loose the fatty tissues as well. This though is as long as you are exercising and eating healthy as well.

Hope this helps some!
    :)
  • Yea it does help, and it makes sense. Thanks :smile:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    From what I have read, and my doctor explained, we change our eating habits with a diet. Before we would eat a lot of proccessed foods and now we are eating cleaner. Also, my doc said the body flushes the most recent fat first. Usually we put on 5-10 in the recent months and this is what pushed us to diet.

The old fat takes longer to get rid of. I am in plateau and the doctor pointed out it has been 15 yrs since I was below 145.....it will take my body some time to let it go!!

I am no doctor and this is only info I have gathered.

:flowerforyou:
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    From what I have read, and my doctor explained, we change our eating habits with a diet. Before we would eat a lot of proccessed foods and now we are eating cleaner. Also, my doc said the body flushes the most recent fat first. Usually we put on 5-10 in the recent months and this is what pushed us to diet.

The old fat takes longer to get rid of. I am in plateau and the doctor pointed out it has been 15 yrs since I was below 145.....it will take my body some time to let it go!!

I am no doctor and this is only info I have gathered.

:flowerforyou:

You just explained something DH has been trying to for weeks. :laugh: He has been noticing my weight loss in my stomach. I patiently (and incorrectly, apparently) tried to explain to him that he was seeing things, you loose weight from all over.

He then insisted that it was all coming from my tummy, with the reason that the 'extra' weight I put on with my son was all in my stomach which means it was the most recently gained, which obviously means first to go. I'm all for that. :love:

And to get back on track with this post - I'm pretty positive the 10lbs on my ticker is water weight - but just don't think about it! Keep doing what you're doing, it will all come off anyway. :flowerforyou:
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    I certainly hope that's the case. I've gained a Video Game belly in recent months. Also, sitting on my booty for the past 2 yrs at work has caused major spreadage. Hope those guys are the first to go. Unfortunately, the "girls" have enjoyed some of the benefits of gaining weight, not looking forward to losing them so soon.
This discussion has been closed.