Counting Calories

Options
Has counting calories been sustainable for weight loss maintenance for you? I'm talking about 3-5+ years. If yes, please share any tips or strategies that have made counting calories more sustainable. If not, please share what happened, such as was it not realistic, found a better strategy, etc. Thank you!

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Three year and two months. I log my day first thing in the morning and make adjustments before I go to bed. It takes 5 minutes. It's like brushing my teeth, which I have sustained for a lot longer than three years.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I've done it for 3 year 5 months, having lost all the weight I needed to and having maintained what I lost. I don't find it hard. I have my phone with me and I just log usually when I eat. When I'm home or work I usually wait until I'm at a computer. But you get so used to it, you just learn to remember and can log afterwards if it's awkward or inappropriate to log at the time.

The longer you log the easier it gets, because your frequent foods are in there, you save meals you eat a lot (I have some go-to ones I order at lunch), and you save recipes. So it was really annoying the first couple of weeks, but after that, it gets easier. You know portion sizes. You know about the calories . . .

At this point I find it helpful when I'm eating out someplace new and just want to get a sense of which of two good options is the best, calories wise, so I can pick an appropriate portion. And I sometimes feel hungry and wonder if I'm just being greedy. I almost always check my log and find I have lots of room.

It becomes a habit like brushing your teeth.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I logged my meals faithfully for 3 yrs, got to goal a few years ago and basically have maintained since.

4 weeks ago I decided to quit logging my foods, I need to know I can go it alone. I know how much I can eat (approx 2000-2200 gross cals - I still mentally add up cals).I still weigh most things, my meals are consistent and a month in, despite a fabulous cruise I'm maintaining goal range nicely :smile: I am pretty good at mindful eating :smiley:

I know for me maintenance is pretty much a breeze, mostly because I'm very active and I apply the 80/20 rule to what I eat.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Yes. Honestly, it's the only thing that really works for me. When I track and log what I eat, I stay honest to myself, and I eat reasonable quantities. When I don't log what I eat, I get in trouble.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    3 years 6 months, lost 121 pounds and been maintaining for 10 months now. :)
  • truelight_photo_craig
    truelight_photo_craig Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Over 4 years, 110 pounds lost, still losing. :smiley:
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm relatively new to maintenance so don't take me as a model or giver of advice, but my goal is to use a scale to maintain, 'though I do plan on continuing to track my work-outs. If I weigh myself every day, keep track of weekly averages, I'm planning and hoping to continue maintenance without keeping track of daily calories. If it doesn't work, I will go back to counting calories, but I'm hoping it is not necessary for me.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    That is so impressive!
  • lisab64mfp
    lisab64mfp Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Logging for 5 years and 15 days now (not every single one of those days but most days) -- 50 lbs lost in 9 months and have maintained that loss for 4 years, 3 months, 15 days and counting!!! Never going to stop cuz NEVER want to gain the weight back.
  • MynameisChester
    MynameisChester Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Over 4 years, 110 pounds lost, still losing. :smiley:

Congratulations both of you! This is very inspirational!
  • Samm471
    Samm471 Posts: 432 Member
    Options

How did you find your maintenance calories did you up your calories per week till you found the magic number? I'm close to recomp and need a little help finding out how to find out my maintenance calories
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    No