NSV - 21 Days Without Refined Sugar & White Flour

Options
ks_mommaof5
ks_mommaof5 Posts: 73 Member
edited July 2015 in Success Stories
Today I achieved my goal of 21 days without refined sugar and white flour!!!

Though I have succeeded in weight loss and fitness at various times in my life, I never found the inner strength to go without flour and sugar. Even when I was powerlifting as a teenager, I had a massive self-control problem and enjoyed way too much fast food, candy and cookies. As an adult, most everything I ate was a starch or a processed food.

As my weight topped out in June, I knew that I needed to hit reset on my health. The first step was to prove to myself that I could go without the junk. So I made a vow to myself to go without sugar and white flour for 21 days. The first few days were not easy. At all. I hated myself for setting this goal and had to take life one hour and one day at a time. I read and reread every success story on the boards that I could find to keep myself going. By day 10, however, I was in heaven. I didn't crave any of it. And I had fallen in love with simple taste of organic fruit, veggies and minimally seasoned chicken.

I eat carbs each day - fruits, veggies and corn tortillas. I eat a ton of protein and more fat than I likely should (I have a cheese habit too). So far I've lost nearly 19 pounds. I sleep through the night. My caffeine intake has been cut in half. I don't add salt to anything anymore. I drink a ton of water. I have loads of energy and am exercising again. My skin looks 5-10 years younger. Over all I feel incredible.

I am planning to add complex carbs back into my diet in the next 10 days now that I'm back at circuit training. And starting this week, I am weening myself off of caffeine. My experience these last 3 weeks has taught me that I REALLY CAN do anything I put my mind to doing!!!! :)

Thank you to everyone who makes MFP such an amazing community!!

Replies

• MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Very well done! Goal set and well met :-)
  • Milliepet
    Milliepet Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    very happy for you!!! I've tried several times to quit the sugar addiction & was good for a week. I still have one Coke Zero almost daily, the white flour isn't really an issue with me because I've found gluten free recipes. That doggone sugar is an entirely different story so far :(
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Although cutting those things out is not a requirement, I'm glad it worked for you. Congrats on your success! :smile:
  • robster160
    robster160 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Great! I am on the same challenge ... just for 5 days though, with a friend. Day 2 today. A bit tough... craving carbs & sugar. But I'm determined! Did you find that your (perceived) body temperature went up after cutting these out? I'm quite warm........
  • krismigis
    krismigis Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You are an inspiration!! Thanks for sharing your story!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!