Probiotics and weight loss

Options
Caroline0924
Caroline0924 Posts: 6 Member
edited July 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Hi. I'm 51y.o, 5'3" and have gained 17# in the past year with no change in eating habits. Current weight 155. I am in menopause and have noticed a huge difference in my digestive system. The doctor checked my thyroid and everything else is fine. I have always been very conscious of my weight and this is my heaviest other than being pregnant. I've decided to try GNC Probiotics 25 with Weight Management as well as keep my calories to 1200. I need to start exercising as I have not exercised in over a year due to kidney reconstruction. I want to get back down to 130#. Any help to get me started would be appreciated.

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Probiotics have no effect on weight. But I have been thinking of trying a reputable probiotic to try to alleviate Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Apparently, the number of live little bugs in those probiotics is highly variable.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've been taking probiotics every night for years. I can't say if they help with weight loss, unless maybe your digestive system is off kilter which may or may not hinder weight loss.

Sorry, not much help..
  • Caroline0924
    Caroline0924 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The product I'm on is said to help cravings so perhaps there is an additive? I too have occasional IBS. I go for days without "going" then feel constantly bloated. I've been taking the probiotics with just 2 days and can already feel a difference in my bloating and BM's. They have a 30 day money back guarantee so we'll see how it goes. I am using a 25 billion strength with several cultures.
  • vaporhockey83
    vaporhockey83 Posts: 84 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Mainly a digestion aid. Improves the amount of "good" bacteria in your gut versus the "bad". Can help with IBS, bloating, digestion issues, immunity, constipation and more. A great idea to take while on an antibiotic as the antibiotic wipes both good and bad bacteria from the gut. Weight loss, I don't think so and I've never heard so. I eat Greek yogurt daily and take a high strength probiotic. Helped a lot with IBS and bloating.
  • SherryTeach
    Options
    That's good to know. I heard a very good podcast on probiotics on howstuffworks.
  • SherryTeach
    Options