Women's beginner guide to weightlifting

Options
I've lost 14lbs from doing basic cardio and a few leg machines at the gym, mainly because that's within my comfort area. I'm well aware that in order to continue losing weight and achieve my ideal body shape I need to incorporate weightlifting into my training but I have no idea where to start.

Does anyone know of a beginner training plan or something that might give me the confidence to know where to start?

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    This is a good one: The New Rules of Lifting for Women. :)
  • MissAbbee
    MissAbbee Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Ooh thanks!
  • madddfitness
    madddfitness Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you have never lifted before, you might have to use google image and look at diagrams or youtube to know what I'm talking about:

Core/Overall Strength Workout: All are 3 sets of about 10-15 reps
    -Stability ball chest press (Suggested starting weight: set of 10 pound dumbbells)
    - Dumbbell Bent over Row w/ Stability ball (Suggested starting weight:set of 15 pound dumbbells)
    - Free motion lat pull down (Suggested starting weight: 30 pounds)
    - Dumbbell goblet squat (Suggested starting weight: one 25 pound dumbbell)
    - Walking lunges w/ weight (Suggested starting weight: set of 15 pound dumbbells)
    - Dumbbell Romanian dead lift (Suggested starting weight: set of 15 pound dumbbells)

I would start with this work out. Doing it 2-3 times a week until you build up basic strength, adding weight at the beginning of each week. The suggested weights are just estimates. Try the weight and if its too heavy, then switch to a smaller weight- there is no shame in switching out. You will know when you have the right weight when the last 2 or 3 reps are fairly difficult. I don't know your lifting abilities, but this is a good overall start for lifting. A suggestion I have would also be to talk to a personal trainer at your gym. You can hire them for a couple of sessions and they can give you workouts that are better fit for your abilities and/or fitness goals and can ensure you are using proper form to avoid injuries. Good luck! Its good to see more women getting into it!
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Women don't need to do anything different than men as far as general lifting goes. You need to focus on heavy compound lifts and progressive overload. You'll get the toned look by lifting heavy. The only difference in workouts is that for physique goals, women tend to want to put more emphasis on the lower body and men typically want to put more emphasis on the upper body. That's not a big deal if you're not a physique competitor. Here are some good programs:

Starting strength (you should read this no matter what program you choose. It is the best out there for learning proper form On the most important and difficult exercises)

Stronglifts 5x5
    Strong curves
    New rules of lifting for women
    Thinner leaner stronger
  • MissAbbee
    MissAbbee Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Ah guys this is so much help thank you! You kind of think like you should be using all the machines and stuff in the gym but I obviously don't need to!
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    MissAbbee wrote: »
    Ah guys this is so much help thank you! You kind of think like you should be using all the machines and stuff in the gym but I obviously don't need to!

Most machines are junk. Your program should focus on free weight barbell (no smith machine) and Dumbbells. There are a few machines that can be useful, namely for calves, and cable crunches are very effective. Once you have a very good foundation of muscle and leanness you might want to focus on certain areas and thus use a machine or two. But starting out, you want to avoid them.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Also, see if there is a PT at your gym that actually looks like they know what they're doing. If so, maybe grab a session or two.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    New Rules would probably be good, either the original or the one aimed at women. I like Strong Curves quite a bit. And for a less conventional program, I like Neghar Fonooni's Lean and Lovely.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    SL 5 x 5.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Same as lifting for guys. I use strong lifts 5x5.
  • raimac123
    raimac123 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would argue that women can benefit from a different training program than men. Simply because MOST women have different goals in terms of areas we want to be lean and areas we want to build. A beginner could benefit from any of the above programs (I started with 5*5 and would suggest trying as long as you start by focusing on FORM). As you advance and find what areas of your body respond quicker, you'll probably start to adjust and change things up i.e. adding more leg exercises, doing more tricep work if your biceps grow quickly. Hope that all made sense.
  • raimac123
    raimac123 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Also. Good luck! The world needs more women that lift :)
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    If you have never lifted before, you might have to use google image and look at diagrams or youtube to know what I'm talking about:

Core/Overall Strength Workout: All are 3 sets of about 10-15 reps
    -Stability ball chest press (Suggested starting weight: set of 10 pound dumbbells)
    - Dumbbell Bent over Row w/ Stability ball (Suggested starting weight:set of 15 pound dumbbells)
    - Free motion lat pull down (Suggested starting weight: 30 pounds)
    - Dumbbell goblet squat (Suggested starting weight: one 25 pound dumbbell)
    - Walking lunges w/ weight (Suggested starting weight: set of 15 pound dumbbells)
    - Dumbbell Romanian dead lift (Suggested starting weight: set of 15 pound dumbbells)

I would start with this work out. Doing it 2-3 times a week until you build up basic strength, adding weight at the beginning of each week. The suggested weights are just estimates. Try the weight and if its too heavy, then switch to a smaller weight- there is no shame in switching out. You will know when you have the right weight when the last 2 or 3 reps are fairly difficult. I don't know your lifting abilities, but this is a good overall start for lifting. A suggestion I have would also be to talk to a personal trainer at your gym. You can hire them for a couple of sessions and they can give you workouts that are better fit for your abilities and/or fitness goals and can ensure you are using proper form to avoid injuries. Good luck! Its good to see more women getting into it!

Thanks... Helpful as all get out :)