I'm gaining weight....not supposed to be happening

Options
I love fitness, I am active and watch my food intake. I'm also gaining weight. My mid section feels tight and stays bloated feeling despite all I do. Someone give me a sliver of hope please!

Replies

• mdb1085
    mdb1085 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How much water do you drink daily?
  • dahhhhhling
    dahhhhhling Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Are you gaining weight, or are you just bloated? If it's just bloat, have you been tested for food allergies or are you maybe eating too much/too fast per meal?

I have hypochlorhydria, which basically means I don't produce enough stomach acid. I know after a meal heavy in grains or fried foods I get incredibly bloated.

If it's true weight gain, your numbers are off somewhere.
  • dailynf71
    dailynf71 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Drinking Green Tea helps with bloatedness. Three times a day. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I hope this really helps. Its helped me. That just means your probably in taking too much sodium and your body is retaining water. The tea will work.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Consider seeing your doc. Bloating and water retention can be signs of subtle, slowly progressing illnesses. Also if there's any chance of being pregnant check for that.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by watching your food intake? Do you weight and log all your food?
    How long have you been dieting? what are your stats height , starting weight and current weight plus how long have you been on this regime?

Check to see if you are eating the correct amount, mostly people eat more thna they realise.
    If you are eating back calories then how are you estimating your burns?
    Are you being patient? Water retention, due to salt, new exercise regime or time of month are all common reasons as to why you might gain weight. just be patient.
  • spockaholic
    spockaholic Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Are you positive that your calorie tracking is precise? Are your daily calorie targets accurate? If you've lost a significant amount of weight, you'll need to re-calculate them. MFP also tends to over-estimate how much you burn through exercise - it may be better if you didn't deduct calories from exercise and set your activity level to sedentary.

Regarding the bloat - could you be lactose intolerant? I am to the point that yoghurt, cheese and milk with other things is fine, but a glass of milk on its own will be really painful and leave me bloated for a couple of days. I only discovered this when I started eating more healthily and replaced sugary lattes with glasses of skim milk.
  • lil_fit_mom
    lil_fit_mom Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    mdb1085 wrote: »
    Could be better
  • lil_fit_mom
    Options
    dailynf71 wrote: »
    Drinking Green Tea helps with bloatedness. Three times a day. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I hope this really helps. Its helped me. That just means your probably in taking too much sodium and your body is retaining water. The tea will work.

Good idea, I've tried water pills. .ughh
  • lil_fit_mom
    edited July 2015
    Options
    LAT1963 wrote: »
    Consider seeing your doc. Bloating and water retention can be signs of subtle, slowly progressing illnesses. Also if there's any chance of being pregnant check for that.
    Not pregnant.
    I need to see my doc because I'm constantly on the verge of hibernation
  • lil_fit_mom
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    What do you mean by watching your food intake? Do you weight and log all your food?
    How long have you been dieting? what are your stats height , starting weight and current weight plus how long have you been on this regime?

Check to see if you are eating the correct amount, mostly people eat more thna they realise.
    If you are eating back calories then how are you estimating your burns?
    Are you being patient? Water retention, due to salt, new exercise regime or time of month are all common reasons as to why you might gain weight. just be patient.

I've been at this for 5 years. From 198 to 130 and back to 160. I study nutrition and have had many meal plans custom made. I gained when I came off some very strong antidepressants and went through a horrible detox
  • lil_fit_mom
    Options
    Are you positive that your calorie tracking is precise? Are your daily calorie targets accurate? If you've lost a significant amount of weight, you'll need to re-calculate them. MFP also tends to over-estimate how much you burn through exercise - it may be better if you didn't deduct calories from exercise and set your activity level to sedentary.

Regarding the bloat - could you be lactose intolerant? I am to the point that yoghurt, cheese and milk with other things is fine, but a glass of milk on its own will be really painful and leave me bloated for a couple of days. I only discovered this when I started eating more healthily and replaced sugary lattes with glasses of skim milk.

I did a dairy detox...no changes
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    mdb1085 wrote: »
    Could be better

I have several thoughts....

Hydration. If you're 160lbs, try making sure to drink at least 80oz of water a day.

You say you're on the verge of hibernation, why? If you're cold or sleepy, that could be thyroid issues.

Your stomach is tight and bloated...could it be constipation due to dietary changes? I had similar issues for several weeks. Finally realized that giving up my daily lara bar (dates and nuts) for a banana might be causing my trouble. Switched back and I feel better.