Under calorie goal?

Options
I have had some major life changes and stresses and fin myself with a lack of appetite. I still eat the required breakfast, lunch & dinner but am under my cal goal of 1200 for the day. I've read you shouldn't eat less than 1200 but if I'm eating 3 healthy meals, what's the problem? I really don't want to resort to 'having' to eat the remaining calories. Anyone got an opinion or remark on this?

Replies

• cavaaller_85
    cavaaller_85 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I've heard people talk a lot about starvation mode, but I think if you're eating nutrient-rich foods and are getting your full meals in, you will probably be OK if it's not for an extended amount of time. Listen to your body. If you're feeling light-headed, irritable, etc, then you probably need to eat more. I'm sorry things are stressful right now. I have had times like that, too, and usually things settle down and my appetite comes back. You just don't want your body to get used to functioning on so little, because it messes with your metabolism. Hang in there and I hope things get better!
  • flamingblades
    flamingblades Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    MFP has set my caloric need at 1310 per day. I also have an almost non-existent appetite. I find I have to add peanut butter to my smoothies and eat bean salad or something in order to get in that full 1310 calories. It's very difficult for me not to skyrocket my fat and try to stay around 60 carbs a day. I eat a lot of broccoli and cauliflower, romaine lettuce, etc but there just isn't enough calories to fill in my day unless I stuff my face with vegetables. I take portion control seriously. In a way, it seems my plight is similar to the op's issue.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    How far under 1200 are you going. Is it a regular occurrence?
    Do you exercise and eat those calories back?
  • raimac123
    raimac123 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You will not enter starvation mode at around 1200 calories. But under that could be detrimental in the long term. I would try adding in a high calorie snack (protein bar, rice cake with nut butter, fruit etc). OR just add a little more to your meals. Sometimes it might feel a little forced but it shouldn't get to the point of feeling uncomfortably full or anything. If you feel physically uncomfortable eating 1200 calories, I would stop and bring it up with a doctor!
  • kjcard13
    kjcard13 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    How far under 1200 are you going. Is it a regular occurrence?
    Do you exercise and eat those calories back?

I haven't had much time to exercise and even without it, I'm under a few hundred cals. At first I was pretty excited, but I have heard about starvation mode so I was getting worried..
  • kjcard13
    Options
    I've heard people talk a lot about starvation mode, but I think if you're eating nutrient-rich foods and are getting your full meals in, you will probably be OK if it's not for an extended amount of time. Listen to your body. If you're feeling light-headed, irritable, etc, then you probably need to eat more. I'm sorry things are stressful right now. I have had times like that, too, and usually things settle down and my appetite comes back. You just don't want your body to get used to functioning on so little, because it messes with your metabolism. Hang in there and I hope things get better!

Thank you for the kind words :) I'm worried if I do get more of an appetite, that my body will hoard it!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    1200 is around the lowest an adult human female can eat and expect to come close to meeting minimum nutritional levels. "A few hundred" calories below that is what 15% ... 20% .... 30% of your current goal?
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I have days that I am WAY under. As long as it doesnt happen all the time it shouldnt be a problem.
  • kjcard13
    Options
    raimac123 wrote: »
    You will not enter starvation mode at around 1200 calories. But under that could be detrimental in the long term. I would try adding in a high calorie snack (protein bar, rice cake with nut butter, fruit etc). OR just add a little more to your meals. Sometimes it might feel a little forced but it shouldn't get to the point of feeling uncomfortably full or anything. If you feel physically uncomfortable eating 1200 calories, I would stop and bring it up with a doctor!

Today I had: a thin bagel w/cr cheese, salmon & salad for lunch, and chicken & black bean quesadilla for dinner. I was satisfied after each meal and ran errands without becoming hungry in between. Is it possible my body is just getting used to eating less than when I started counting?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about "starvation mode ", it's a myth!
    I would incorporate calorie dense food to get you to your 1200 calorie mark, or at least as close as you can to it. A couple tablespoons of peanut butter spread on an apple is a tasty decent calorie snack.
    I would struggle to hit my macros on 1200, let a lone less than that.
    Keep a close eye on your protein and fat numbers.
  • kjcard13
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice!
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I was under my calorie goal (1300) by 150 calories today, but I'm not sweating it. I have days where I just don't want to eat as much and other days I could chew my own arm off. I would say as long as it's not a day to day thing, you should be fine.

I've already planned out my meals for tomorrow to see what I could eat that would get me as close to my calorie goal as possible.
  • raimac123
    raimac123 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    kjcard13 wrote: »
    raimac123 wrote: »

Today I had: a thin bagel w/cr cheese, salmon & salad for lunch, and chicken & black bean quesadilla for dinner. I was satisfied after each meal and ran errands without becoming hungry in between. Is it possible my body is just getting used to eating less than when I started counting?

Yes that is very possible! Like I said, if you are concerned about eating to little, try adding in a snack. Preferably something you enjoy so it'll feel like more of a treat than a forced meal. You may feel satisfied with what you're eating now, but there's no way you will thwart your weight loss efforts by meeting 1200 calories a day (unless you have metabolic damage already). I personally think your body will thank you in the long run!