Type2 diabetic

Options
finding it hard to lose weight any ideas what I can try?

Replies

• marykate_1203
    marykate_1203 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I am pre-diabetic. I've noticed my weight loss comes from eating based on my blood sugars. So, if your number is high... eat a low carb snack if you're hungry. If the number is low.. eat a low glycemic snack. I've learned a lot just by research. Knowledge is power and google can be helpful.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I'm Type II as well, feel free to friend me!

How is your blood sugar? If I don't keep mine under tight control my weight loss is slow.

Personally, I stick to ~100 grams of carbohydrates daily. Yesterday I was over because I had ice cream, but my blood sugar was still great two hours later.
  • fergie1404
    fergie1404 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My bloods are usually ok but up a wee bit just now
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    fergie--if you don't mind, how much up have they been? Everyone's doctor seems to have a different recommendation of what our sugar should be two hours after eating. Personally, my doctor thinks 140 is great but I like to be under 120.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I'm (or I was) pre-diabetic too. I have read, and believe, that blood sugar can be better managed by reducing the sugars in your diet, especially added sugars. High levels of insulin, caused by high blood sugars, causes a body to stop burning fat, store glucose in the cells, and then store any extra calories as fat. If one lowers their blood sugar they will have lower levels of insulin, which is a hormone that helps control fat storage. (As I understand it.)

Because of that, I switched to eating low carb and higher healthy fats, and I found that as my blood sugars leveled out to normal, my weight loss increased. I am eating at a caloric deficit, weight loss on a LCHF diet probably wouldn't happen without that. More advanced T2D's will find their need for insulin is reduced as they lose weight too, which may help with further weight loss. A good cycle once you get it going. :)

I followed Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. He is a type 1 diabetic who left engineering, became an MD, and devoted his life to improving health for diabetics by reducing blood sugar swings. Perhaps look into it and discuss the idea of LCHF eating (for blood sugar control and weight loss) with your doctor if it interests you.

Good luck.
  • Keedlee
    Keedlee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been exercising, but not really watching specifically what I've been eating. Just not eating a lot. I've been losing inches well, but the weight seems to be slowly leaving. I'm hoping that this will help me with the weight loss thing. My levels have been better since I've been exercising. I feel better since.

One thing that is going to go against me is that I use olive oil for cooking which has a very high caloric value, but...I have to do what I have to do!!
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Interesting how much misinformation is out there about diabetes and diet.
  • fergie1404
    Options
    Well today I usually go to exercise class tonight and have something light ie grilled bacon and 2 slice wholemeal bread. Cutting out bread and will have a dry fried egg. Does that sound ok
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    fergie1404 wrote: »
    Well today I usually go to exercise class tonight and have something light ie grilled bacon and 2 slice wholemeal bread. Cutting out bread and will have a dry fried egg. Does that sound ok
    I would cook the bacon. Then I would cook the egg in the oil of the bacon. (Skip the bread).
    Add some fiber like some cut up cucumbers
    --
    Here is a recipe for baked eggs and sausage that you can put in the fridge and reheat for later.
    Pre-log in the diary to get the calorie count to fit reasonably into your day.
    http://www.ibelieveicanfry.com/2014/07/sausage-egg-cheese-muffins-gluten-free.html
    Or this one http://www.food.com/recipe/baked-eggs-wrapped-in-bacon-easy-and-low-carb-516257
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I agree. Add the bacon.... Many mornings I skip the egg and just go with bacon. LOL

I think it is smart to drop the bread. Bread can really spike a T2D's blood glucose.
  • fergie1404
    Options
    Thanks folks.