Is it bad that I want to wait 3 months before I weight in again??

Options
I want to wait till my next Drs appt before I step on a scale again.. Is that a bad thing? A. I don't own a scale except for now a food scale.. B. I don't want to beat myself up about the number on the scale.. I figure I should do well if I have deficits every day.. Right? I see people update their weight like every three days on here.. Am I wrong?

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    No. It's your diet and you get to make the rules! There is no bad.

I lost my first forty pounds without a food scale, a people scale or even trying. I only got weighed at the doctors' offices.

Honestly, I wish I hadn't started getting on the scale and had just kept going along, getting new clothes when I needed them. Now I'm hooked. Have to know. But it might be a lot more fun to not focus on the number.

I give you leave to go forth sans scale. :smiley:
  • laurennichole529
    laurennichole529 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    No. It's your diet and you get to make the rules! There is no bad.

This. Find what works for you. Some people are motivated by the scale. Others aren't. Your goal of having a deficit every day is a great, simple way to approach weight loss. You'll do great!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    It's up to you, though I would go crazy waiting 3 months, lol. :p
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    My only concern waiting three months would be that your calories adjust when you lose weight, so you might slow up or hit a plateau towards the end of that time.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I think you have a great plan! My emotions ride with the scale and I hate that.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    My only concern waiting three months would be that your calories adjust when you lose weight, so you might slow up or hit a plateau towards the end of that time.

+1. You're ignoring a useful source of information. Use a measuring tape if the scale is overwhelming. But I think it'd be helpful if you could find a way to rid yourself of scale anxiety. It's just feedback, not a statement of your worth.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh very often, maybe once every couple of weeks.
    But I think you do need to weigh yourself regularly, not every day, so you can keep track of your losses, and more importantly, any gains that may creep up on you.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    It's your choice when to weigh yourself.

Personally, I like weighing myself every day.

Weighing myself every day allows me to see the fluctuations and connect them with the reasons behind the fluctuations. For example, I know that if I exercise a lot on the weekend, I will be heavier on Monday, and then the weight will drop on Wednesday, and then gradually continue downward to Saturday morning. I also know that there will be a slight increase a few days before my TOM. Or if I eat something high in sodium, I'll be heavier the next morning, but a day or two later everything will be back to normal.

For me, it is just interesting to see all that, and I don't panic about it or get frustrated ... I just know that's how my body works and it's all OK. The overall trend is downward. :)

I think if I waited as long as 3 months, I wouldn't be as motivated to stick to a calorie deficit.
  • catt952
    catt952 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'm the same. i don't want to know the number on the scale either and i am waiting until i'm more comfortable with my appearance until i jump on.
  • kitkatkarr
    kitkatkarr Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Its totally fine the way you're doing it. Personally I only weigh myself if I notice a difference on my body physique
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I figure I should do well if I have deficits every day.. Right? I see people update their weight like every three days on here.. Am I wrong?

The scale is the only way to confirm that you're in a deficit.

Maybe you are, maybe you aren't.

If you're comfortable not knowing for three months, then don't weigh yourself - but you should know most people who start out calorie counting get it pretty wrong in the beginning. So I would suggest that if this really is the path you want to take, open up your diary.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Growing up, we often didn't have a scale & we'd either only get weighed at the Doctor's or when we went shopping & the store had a bathroom section, with scales that weren't digital.
  • timtakel
    timtakel Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You do well if you have a deficit, but the only way to control your deficit is a scale.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Growing up, we often didn't have a scale & we'd either only get weighed at the Doctor's or when we went shopping & the store had a bathroom section, with scales that weren't digital.

My brother weighs himself when he goes to the grocery store on that big huge scale. We also used to have a big scale at a local bank....umm why....and a Co worker would go over on her lunch break and weigh herself.

Oh yeah, I also forgot the 1 time I went on a class trip to the Ground Round, during the 1980's & all the children paid by their weight, which wasn't fair for tall and/or overweight children. Also some places would have a pay scale, mainly aimed at children; it seemed but I never used it. I've never seen scales at any of my grocery stores, just seated blood pressure monitors.
  • labohn91
    labohn91 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I think it is bad that you are asking for if it is bad that you don't want to step on a scale. Mirrors are better than scales anyway. Best of luck in your journey.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    You can do what you want, but my experience has been that stepping on the scale once a week has been the thing that has made my weight loss successful. I went several months without stepping on the scale because I didn't like the number it showed me and I wanted to lose weight before stepping on it again. The next time I stepped on the scale, I was 20 lbs heavier than I expected to be.