Low Calorie vs Low Carb

Options

Replies

• tranquil327
    tranquil327 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    WOW! Guys I cannot thank you enough for sharing such thoughtful and insightful responses. I've read each of them very carefully and it seems most of you lean towards a low-cal lifestyle with an element of low carb. I think my problem with getting this weight off is that while I've been eating and tracking my carbs and have been keeping them low, I've neglected to track my calories. How can I expect to lose weight when my calories have most likely been between 2500-3000/day with little to no exercise. Low-cal has worked for me in the past and I think it's time to start counting calories again. Again - many thanks to you all and best of luck to each of you on your weight loss journeys.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Inviting anyone to weigh in on which they believe renders the best weight loss results: Low Calorie or Low Carb. I'm at a bit of a crossroads having gained a significant amount of weight and am caught between these 2 weight loss philosophies to achieve my goal. Replies can be based on statistics, science, or just personal preference.

Here's a compilation of comparison trials, if that helps -

http://smashthefat.com/science
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Why is there this misconception that by going on any specialized diet you can magically go beyond the calories you need?

I remember when it was low fat, and it was all about just watching fat and eating lots.

There was a low carb way to eat all you want....

But none of those work when there is no calorie regulation

I like low carb specifically to adapt my muscles to burn a higher percentage of fat as fuel.

So I eat moderately low carb and do fairly long pretty intense cardio nearly fasted.

It works.

For me it works.

It was the next step to get rid of some stubborn torso fat.

But I always am about keeping a lid on calories and doing 1 hour plus cardio sessions.

So there is no calories versus carbs. There is only calorie control by the method that works best for you.

The idea there is an all can eat diet is a marketing scam!

Best of luck OP on finding a nutrition plan that works for you

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    WOW! Guys I cannot thank you enough for sharing such thoughtful and insightful responses. I've read each of them very carefully and it seems most of you lean towards a low-cal lifestyle with an element of low carb. I think my problem with getting this weight off is that while I've been eating and tracking my carbs and have been keeping them low, I've neglected to track my calories. How can I expect to lose weight when my calories have most likely been between 2500-3000/day with little to no exercise. Low-cal has worked for me in the past and I think it's time to start counting calories again. Again - many thanks to you all and best of luck to each of you on your weight loss journeys.
    I eat a very high-carb diet and lose weight. I'm not recommending a high-carb diet, just saying that it can be done. :)

Fruits and veggies will NOT stop anyone from losing weight! They keep you nice and full, give you all those lovely vitamins and minerals you need and bring fiber (a carb) along for the ride. They're yummy, too.

I do hope people aren't abandoning fruits and veggies to lose weight.

Fruits and veggies are our friends. :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    My answer is lower calories than you need for maintenance (which may not mean "low calorie," depending on how that's defined), but for many people they may end up being the same thing.

How a low carb diet works is that you either have an easier time sticking with lower calories by cutting carbs (which is true for some people) or, in some cases, you find that you get so satiated on the foods you are eating that you naturally eat well below your maintenance. (I think it's common for this latter effect to eventually wear off.)

It's quite possible to maintain or gain on a low carb diet, so the safest approach generally is to watch calories AND carbs if doing a low carb approach. (And you can keep low carbs if you prefer it when in maintenance, then.)

Anyway, for me calories and not carbs were my focus, and I lost 95 lbs happily. I did cut carbs some as an easy way to cut calories (for me), but I would not have been happy doing a true low carb plan, so didn't.
  • ireadlabelsdammit
    ireadlabelsdammit Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Sirius_12 wrote: »
    I tried carb cycling. But I kept falling off my bike trying to eat the baked potato. :/
    Lol hard boiled egg for me pls, I'm low carb ;)
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    I like low carb specifically to adapt my muscles to burn a higher percentage of fat as fuel.

So I eat moderately low carb and do fairly long pretty intense cardio nearly fasted.

It works.

For me it works.

Likewise, in every respect.

• DoogCampbell
    DoogCampbell Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I do low calorie to lose weight. I do low carb in periods (4-12 weeks) when I want to focus on cutting body fat, but I don't perform as well in the gym on low carb so its a periodical thing for me (usually for summer). As everyone says, you cant lose weight without eating less calories, the low carb just plays on the hormonal affect the food has on your body but as mentioned above, I can't imagine ketosis over a long period can be healthy so a cycle seems like a sensible idea.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight both watching carbs and not watching carbs, I posted about my results a while ago

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10180583/to-carb-or-not-to-carb-for-weightloss#latest
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Good results to me are not just the number on the scale when I've reached goal......

I won't be incorporating low carb into my maintenance regimen, so there is no reason to do low carb now. Maintenance is hard enough without trying to figure it out...when I get there.
  • arv51862
    arv51862 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's not an either / or choice... You have to eat at a calorie deficit, the "low carb" diet is merely one attempt at lowering caloric intake. From my experience, if you cut your carbs too low, you loose the energy needed to function properly (including to burn fat). Low calorie is the way to go, if you want to eat more (and still loose weight), you have to earn your extra calories with exercise (encouraged).
  • Ticklemynose
    Ticklemynose Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Losing weight and being healthy are 2 separate things. You can lose weight but still be unhealthy. It took me so long to wrap my head around this since people assume how you look is how you are. The assumption being that slim is healthy, overweight is not. You can be slim on the outside and fat inside. I personally rather go slow and have a complete overhaul, eat good fulling food below my calorie limit and lose weight while learning good nutrition and exercise. I realised the things we limit ourselves greatly are also the things we binge on. So having cheat days are necessary to be emotionally in tune with ourselves.
  • smslogan317
    smslogan317 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I do both, and what drives it is my goals or plateaus, I cycle carbs, calories, fats, protein, I cycle it all, I do low carb, low calorie, low fat, high fat, high carb, high protein. In the end for me its my goals and my body that drive my decision. Right now I am cutting, so I will keep my carbs and calories low, and keep my fat and protein pretty high, come fall/winter I will bump up my calories, increase carbs and drop protein and fats down some. My workouts will then go from high volume lower weight, to more strength based with low volume heavy weight.
  • af1973
    af1973 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Low carb...because once you kick the carb addiction you can control your calorie intake a lot better. I have to make myself eat something. I don't have much of an appetite with the keto diet
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    af1973 wrote: »
    Low carb...because once you kick the carb addiction you can control your calorie intake a lot better. I have to make myself eat something. I don't have much of an appetite with the keto diet

Carb addiction???????
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Lower calories has worked best for me. No need to restrict anything, just manage a deficit and still enjoy rice, pasta, bread, etc.
  • hyperbeth1
    hyperbeth1 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I actually gained weight on low carb. I am doing lower calories. It has worked better so far.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    af1973 wrote: »

Carb addiction???????

@IsaackGMOON "carb addiction" is a loose term that means different things to different people. When one removes all the Cokes from the house for example yet gets up in the middle of the night and drives 10 miles to a Coke machine might be referred to a Carb addiction by some. Again it is not a scientific term in the minds of many. When I went off carbs cold turkey for pain management it was really bad for two weeks then the cravings just faded. Was I a Carb Addict I can not say but I can say I was a Carb Abuser for 40 years and paid a high price health wise. In my case it is true on a real keto diet there is not the hunger or cravings like when I was living mainly on carbs.

• dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    It is calories in VS calories out - doesnt matter what the calories are made up of. As long as your calories are less than what you burn you will lose weight.
  • ms_true
    ms_true Posts: 43 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Good question. If you go low calorie/low protein you will lose lean muscle mass (up to 30% of weight loss). Keep your protein high. Otherwise when you get to goal and start the maintenance phase, you'll not have as much lean muscle mass to boost your metabolism. This is probably part of the reason why people regain their weight loss and more. Check out this study:

Lean Mass Loss

"Current National Institutes of Health guidelines for treating overweight and obese adults recommend low-calorie/low-fat diets for weight loss, with protein recommendations expressed as a percentage of total calories (20). People trying to lose weight by reducing calories may inadvertently consume very low levels of protein, possibly resulting in loss of lean mass, which can be especially detrimental in older adults (7). In a 9-week weight-maintenance study in older women, those consuming low dietary protein (0.45g/kg body weight/day) experienced substantial decreases in lean mass compared to those consuming adequate dietary protein (0.92 g/kg body weight/day) (21). In a meta-analysis by Krieger and colleagues (12), diets higher in protein (>1.05 to ≤1.20 g/kg body weight/day) were associated with greater fat-free mass retention than diets lower in protein (<0.7 g/kg body weight/day) during energy restriction. Thus, the RDA for protein may be inadequate for retaining fat-free mass during caloric restriction."

My goal for protein is 90 and carbs restricted between 50 & 100. I don't wish to go lower for carbs as it's hard on your kidneys.