I am a (food) cheater at heart.

Options
I am 10 days into my weight loss journey and lifestyle change. It has been going great, but I know in the back of my mind I already hear the fat demons whispering to me "Reward yourself, cheat" "One little chicken wing won't hurt you".
And while many experts recommend a cheat day either as a reward to yourself or as a reset to your body, I am intimated to even try. Because I know as soon as I cross the line of eating anything unhealthy, if I deviate one iota from my meal I will consider the night blown and 803 hot wings, a pizza and a side of remorse later I will regret it.
"Nothing taste as good as skinny feels" - whoever wrote this must have been a horrible cook. Then I remind myself of my goals. Dating, being healthy, playing sports with my son are more important than night after night of great food.
So I haven't cheated yet, but it is so tempting. And I am sure that if I do, the next morning I will be doing the walk of shame to the scale, knowing that the [insert delicious here] wasn't worth it.
So one of my goals is to be work in something cheating into my food plan occasionally and be able to enjoy it without guilt AND without going overboard.
Everything in moderation, as they say.
Love yourself.

Robert

Replies

• whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Don't cheat. Incorporate the food you love into your calorie allotment. So if you want wings, plan for a meal of wings once a week. Cut down your calories on a couple days, and save them for your wing meal. Eating food you love isn't cheating. I hate the word cheating to be honest, because it makes food seem bad. Food isn't bad or good. It's just bad to eat enormous amounts of those food every day :)

• BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Don't cheat. Incorporate the food you love into your calorie allotment. So if you want wings, plan for a meal of wings once a week. Cut down your calories on a couple days, and save them for your wing meal. Eating food you love isn't cheating. I hate the word cheating to be honest, because it makes food seem bad. Food isn't bad or good. It's just bad to eat enormous amounts of those food every day :)

Good post.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

This. You can't live in fear of cheating, because you're going to be at a party one day and the only thing left over is going to be some chicken wings or a slice of pizza and then you'll go to town. Just eat what you like and make your eating habits sustainable.

• BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Better you come here and vent, than over-indulge Robert.

Life is all about balance. You are learning to walk the high wire. Below you are doubts, fears, naysayers, and past experiences. Before you, is a new healthy life with new experience and rewards to be embraced. Keep walking forward one slow, steady step at a time.

You can do it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I thnk that sounds like a good plan. You know best what you can handle and when. Proceed at a pace that make you comfortable.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    I can plan for pizza days and chicken wing days (these couldn't be on the same day), but there are some foods that are problematic for me and I just avoid them. Fortunately, there are so many foods that I enjoy that taking a few off the menu does not feel like I am depriving myself.
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    What was a normal meal of wings for you in the past? Calculate the calories you'd need for that amount and see if it's worth having a small breakfast and lunch to account for it. Or have half and a salad!
  • djprice_69
    djprice_69 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    You're in good company, my friend. I know of plenty of foods that taste as good as skinny feels. But its been decades since I've been skinny, and my memory isn't the greatest.

You've got awesome goals, and I'm glad you're keeping focused on those goals.

One question: do you work out? If so I'd encourage you to cheat at least once, but be honest in your tracking. Then figure out how much work it would take to undo your cheat day. I've found that this really helps to keep me honest. When I do cheat, I fully acknowledge the amount of work it will do to undo that cheat.

Just keep in mind the simple fact that 3500 kcal is equal to one pound, so as long as you have a 3500kcal/week deficit you'll lost 1lb a week. Half the deficit, half a pound a week weight loss, etc.

Best of luck to you in your journey.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    For some great advice, please read the first post in this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat meals, I log every single bite. Sometimes those bites are more that my daily allotment but I have it set at lose 2 lbs per week. Find your BMR! I try to never go over that with exercise included. That's the amount of calories you can have and not gain. Also I understand foods that we have to cut out so we don't binge. I don't do well with "just have a little" nope, can't do it. Also try to preplan your food and log ahead then try to think of something else besides food! LOL
  • Bacchants
    Bacchants Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    roberturb wrote: »
    "Nothing taste as good as skinny feels" - whoever wrote this must have been a horrible cook.

Haha, I've always thought that too!

Anyway, like others I balance my intake to allow for some more unhealthy stuff. Like I adore nandos, and my fav meal is about 1000cals, so on that day I have less and I eat less in the week so that my weekly deficit hits my target, even though nandos day is usually way over.

Then I play my nandos day in advance so I have it to look forward to during the week. I find it helps me to think 'well I could have this cake now, but that means I need to have less at nandos'. Might not work for everyone but does for me!