Better Restaurant Choices?

Options
kiela64
kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
I have 2 social events that will involve restaurant food today. I had a pretty healthy breakfast so that makes me happy, but I'm a little worried about what two restaurant meals will do.

This hasn't been a perfect week, and I've gone over calories already a few times. I did my best to calculate it (only taking off 1/2 of my exercise calories) and I'm about 1958 cal over my weekly goal already (past 7 days, I'm aware it's Monday haha).

Any tips on making better choices at restaurants? I generally lean towards the dishes with more veggies, but I know sauces can be very calorie-dense. One meal will be at a Chinese food place, so tips specific to that type of restaurant would be awesome. Thanks!

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Broccoli beef is usually a pretty safe bet at any Chinese place.
  • Liftin4food
    Liftin4food Posts: 175 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Chinese - go for a chicken or king prawn dish. Something with vegetables. Make sure it's nothing fried in batter. If you're going for rice make sure it's boiled / steamed rice. Oh - and skip the prawn crackers, the calories in them really add up!
  • megpiesweats
    megpiesweats Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I find that most Chinese places have a "diet" menu - stuff like steamed veggies with a protein and then the sauce and rice on the side. That way you can add just a little sauce, and enjoy all the steamed veggies alone. Sometimes it isn't called a "diet" menu but you can request similar items. Like, chicken and veggies, but sauce on the side.
  • katieross1508
    katieross1508 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Whenever I eat out I tend to go for poached fish or something lightly grilled (chicken breast is always good) and a salad.
    Chinese - At the very least ask if they can make your stir fry with a "light" soy to knock off some sodium. My local Chinese restaurant is very good to cater to what you want.
    I have talked to the cook at the restaurant and the stir fry's are pretty healthy (if they aren't swimming in sauce) and steamed rice in moderation is ok too. But ribs (14 cups of sugar in their sauce) yikes. Chicken balls stay away ! and really he said any of their sauces are a no go when you are trying to lose weight.
  • flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    This is all good advice: Seafood, vegetables, no fried or battered things, and light on the rice and alcohol.

Practice moderation however and be conscious of your host's feelings. If the occasion is such that picking at a tiny plate will hurt the bride's feelings ("Aren't you happy for us?") or wound your mother ("Didn't you love your grandma?") then mangia, mangia within reason and get back on the horse later. MFP will still be here. You won't always have the ones you love.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I got the steamed chicken and veggies at a Chinese restaurant last month... Never again. I don't know how they manage to make veggies and chicken taste like cardboard, but they clearly did a good job at it. The sauce on the side couldn't even save them, unless I put a ton of sauce in, which defeated the purpose.

My advice is chicken and broccoli, beef and broccoli, or shrimp in lobster sauce, they're all pretty much 350 calories I believe... and you can add a cup of rice and still stay around 600 calories.

If you don't mind the sodium, egg drop or wonton soup are like 60 calories a cup too, and pretty filling.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Awesome, thanks everyone!! I'll see if I can ask about "half the sauce" or something like that. My sodium is usually really good without trying, so I'm not super worried about that, so I'll look into the wonton soup type things as well. :)
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I got the steamed chicken and veggies at a Chinese restaurant last month... Never again. I don't know how they manage to make veggies and chicken taste like cardboard, but they clearly did a good job at it. The sauce on the side couldn't even save them, unless I put a ton of sauce in, which defeated the purpose.

I've ordered plain steamed chicken and broccoli for 20 years. I love it!

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I always start with hot and sour soup at Chinese restaurants, mainly because I love hot and sour soup, but it also helps fill me up so I don't overeat the higher calorie stuff.
  • supersocks117
    supersocks117 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Chinese food: Safe foods are veggies with no sauce (some also have a salad bar with raw fruits and veggies), soups (high sodium) I like the wonton soup with no wontons. Maybe some seafood. I am thinking more buffet type, but maybe if you are ordering meals look at their menu ahead of time and/or order what you like and have them pack half to go before it gets to you?
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Also with Chinese- Beware of portion sizes. You may think that the serving is 350 calories, but really there are 3 servings there.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    kae612 wrote: »
    I have 2 social events that will involve restaurant food today. I had a pretty healthy breakfast so that makes me happy, but I'm a little worried about what two restaurant meals will do.

You might lose less, not at all or gain a pound this week. You might retain some water from increased sodium. It really isn't much of a set back.

Look at the menu/nutrition info online or a similar restaurant online to see what fits your day best.
    Eat smaller portions. Choose vegetables. Less fried foods. Less sauces.