Hiiiii struggling with weight due to anxiety and depression

Options
I didn't even know this was here! Nifty!

Hi my name is Jennifer! I'm 22.. I've been struggling with depression since 2009 and anxiety for my entire life! Well once I dropped into depression I gained 50 lbs! I'm not proud of it!

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with depression since I was 10 and anxiety since 2005. Finding the right medication helped get me started and finding a physical activity I enjoyed (weight lifting) reduced my symptoms of both. Good luck and stick with it for the long haul.
  • jennduuhhhh
    jennduuhhhh Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I tried medications and they didn't help me.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

It took me a few years to get the right combination.
  • beauchampsara
    beauchampsara Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

It took me a few years to get the right combination.

Likewise. I've dealt with anxiety my whole life as well. In 2010 I began dealing with depression too. For 5 years I've been trying to find a medication that worked. For almost two months I've been on Effexor and I believe this is the right medication for me. In the two months that I have been on Effexor, I became dedicated to the gym and eating right knowing that this would help both my anxiety & depression as well as help me lose the 25 pounds I gained from the emotional eating used to comfort myself. Since I've started I've lost 14 pounds. It's such a struggle but you really have to push yourself. Especially since 9/10 you're not going to want to go to the gym or eat the foods that are better for you. It may also take a while for you to find the medication suitable to you. Don't give up... Had I given up and not tried this medication, I would still be 14 pounds heavier and miserable.
  • Mairt211
    Mairt211 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I suffered from depression for about 6 months from before Christmas until almost April. I was in the best shape ever before becoming depressed and I gained about 20kg from binge eating and not being able to control my snacking on bad sugary foods. I got hold of an amazing drug known as Lorcaserin. It saved me it is a mood enhancer and appetite suppressant and it worked for me so much that after 3-4 weeks I could control my urges myself and got myself out of binge eating and started eating healthier. Look into it. It might work for you too.
  • kyrah702
    kyrah702 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Medication is a long-term commitment. I didn't think it helped at first, and some medications made it worse, but once I had been on the right one for almost a year things really improved.

Exercise is key. I hate exercising and sweating, and it's even harder to do those things when you're battling depression but if you start making small steps, you can make a big difference. Why not go for ten minute walks to start with? If you're agoraphobic maybe try a yoga app and do a bit of yoga in your room to start. Exercise releases endorphins and people with depression who exercise often see improved mood.

Start small and praise yourself when you hit your daily/weekly/monthly goals(whatever you set for yourself). Don't get down when you don't hit it on a bad day, the next day is a new day and a new opportunity to do even half your goal.
  • April_4Fun
    April_4Fun Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    me too!!! had a rough year or so in HS and gained about 35lbs. finally got it off, but im finding it a daily struggle to keep it off. I'll take all the supporters here as well!!
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    Another sufferer checking in. Anxiety most of my adult life, depression off and on. I've recently decided to stay on my antidepressants indefinitely rather than waiting for the next cycle, and I can tell you that having the right combination of meds has been life-changing. It can take a while, hang in there.

Also exercising. Wow does it ever help me! I particularly notice it if I haven't exercised for a while, then start up again. I always think "why did I take a break?"

Don't let the beast cripple you. You're not alone!
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I've never suffered from severe depression but exercise ALWAYS helps when I'm feeling down or starting to slide down that direction. The endorphins it releases are directly related to a feeling of happiness and being content. I also second what the above posters mention. Medication is a long term commitment and may take years to find the right combination. Some people can manage by eating healthier and exercising. Others can't. Talk to your doctor and get on the right path. If the doctor is not helping or is unwilling to work with you, find a new doctor.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

What medications did you try? Did you have genetic testing performed?

I began taking anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds when I was a senior in high school. I started taking Zoloft, had a horrible reaction and ended up in the hospital. Then I switched to Cymbalta… Couldn't take the side effects. Next I tried Lexapro. It was a miracle drug for me- until it 'pooped out' and stopped giving me relief. Then I tried Celexa- didn't notice any improvement. Next I tried Effexor, Pristiq, Prozac, and a few benzos thrown in there… Ativan, Klonopin, etc. I even tried TCA's- reluctantly.

After no success with 10+ medications, my psychiatrist sent me for genetic testing. Turns out I only have one of the three pathways antidepressants use. My options were very limited. I ended up going back on Lexapro and thankfully it started working like it did the first time I took it.

Needless to say, finding the right medication is time consuming. It is a process of trial and error.

Are you in therapy?
  • MrBojangles288
    MrBojangles288 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey!

I appreciate your post. I am a 27 year old, 5'6" male, so a little shorter than average which has always been a source of frustration. I have suffered from anxiety, depression, and body image issues since high school. I took a medical leave my second year of college and entered intensive outpatient treatment for an eating disorder. Now, at 27, having gone through the worst year of my life (really it beat dropping out of school for treatment), I find myself 12 pounds over my ideal body weight (having gained 25 pounds in the past year). So I have been all over the place and been through plenty of therapy and have become extremely self-aware in the process. I have tried just about every SSRI available and a host of other medications as well.

Please do not feel ashamed about it, that is probably the worst thing to do. Don't do that positive thinking *kitten* either. Just accept where you are and what the best thing to do is moving forward. Change is hard, and relapse is part of the process, once again don't be ashamed, just accept it, learn from it, and move forward.

I agree with a lot of the above. Exercise does huge benefits for my mental and physical well being. I recommend exercise in the morning, if possible, as it puts you in a good place for the rest of the day. The mental effects carry on throughout the day and it puts you in a good "healthy mindset" through as well.

I am actually a pharmacist (seriously, that is what I was in school for, I transferred schools after my medical leave and just completed a PGY1 in managed care pharmacy), so I can answer questions or concerns you have about medications.

Briefly, Paxil (paroxetine) can be used to treat both anxiety and depression but is the most likely medication to cause weight gain. Effexor (venlafaxine) can be used for anxiety and depression and is weight neutral (currently taking) but has some nasty withdrawal symptoms if you miss doses for a couple days or do not taper on discontinuation. Wellbutrin (bupropion) will actually promote weight loss (it is half of what is in the new combination medication Contrave [bupropion/naltrexone] for weight loss) but is only indicated for depression.

Hit me up if you wanna talk or learn more (goes for everyone).

Not sure if there is actually a direct message on this thing though, I am new too.

• Lotusgirlruns
    Lotusgirlruns Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Just checking in here, I also struggle with anxiety and depression and am currently taking Wellbutrin and Pristiq, trying to find something that will work for me. I will be seeing a new psychiatrist this week - but I am honestly so tired of working on things and seemingly getting nowhere. Exercise is key for me too, but when I am in a cycle of depression and anxiety about my weight, I find it nearly impossible to get out there and workout. I hate being seen in my workout gear and loathe mirrors and fear the social aspect of gyms/yoga studio etc.
    Just thought I would check in here for support!
    Hope everyone is well!
  • Jonny15121983
    Jonny15121983 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

In the same boat here after coming down with a severe anxiety condition (Panic disorder) about 9 years ago. Medications really never did anything for me, I did get referred to a therapist by my doctor which didn't go well at all. During the 'application' I told them that I occasionally smoked some weed to help me to relax but that it would be no problem to just pack it in altogether. Their response was to tell me that they cannot help drug addicts lol I kind of gave up on the idea of therapy after that.

A lot of the gradual weight gain for me has been due to such a sedentary lifestyle compared to how I used to be, so being able to get out down to the park on roller-blades now is not only great exercise but a huge mental boost just to be out of the loneliness of my flat. I do feel a bit pathetic that being able to say 'hello' to an elderly couple walking their dog can actually be one of the highlights in my day. I'm feeling really driven towards exercise right now as it isn't just helping me burn down these few extra pounds but is also helping me fight back against my anxiety and the depression that comes from becoming so isolated.

@Lotusgirlruns - Haha I know that feeling, I'm trying to work up to joining a gym but the prospect of the shame I will feel being in there is what really holds me back. I might try finding out what their quietest hours are and give it a try then!

It is of course horrible to know that other people are suffering too, I wish none of you suffered from your anxieties and depression, but it is good in a way to know others who are going through the same things too. If any of you are having a bad day with it or just want someone to chat to that will be more likely to understand what you are going through then feel free to send me a message to have a chat.

If I don't hear from any of you then I wish you all the best in your fight against it and I hope you can all find at least one reason to smile each day :)

• Jenfromtheblock84
    Jenfromtheblock84 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Good morning,
    Thanks for sharing your stories. It really does help to not feel so alone in the struggle. Sometimes I feel as if there is such a stigma from having depression and anxiety that I actually hide it most of the time. Taking the medication has never worked for me either, however I've only tried 2-3 my entire life.

My struggle started my Sr year of high school. I lost my mom unexpectedly one week before graduation and 2 weeks before my wedding. I moved out of state, delayed my college entry, and ended up gaining around 60 lbs in 8 months. It drove my confidence in the ground and caused unnecessary hardship between my then husband and I. After my divorce I gained almost 70 more pounds. I started taking sertraline and it helped but made me feel numb. With it and exercise I was able to lose over 60lbs. I stayed there for a while before I lost my job, and my health insurance, and ended up letting it go to the wayside.

During this time I found out who my real friends were quickly. I got a job quickly but went from being on my feet 8hrs a day to sitting behind a desk all day. On a plus I did meet my now husband and father of my children there. After two kids and a sedentary life style I was at my highest weight ever. I'm losing weight but I still struggle every day with the anxiety. Meeting new people or going places I've never been can bring on a panic attack. I'm learning to manage it with breathing exercises but I think working out has helped me more than anything. The depression is still there, nagging in the background, telling me I should just give up; however the help of family and friends keeps me pushing.

Good luck on your journey, and in case you couldn't tell, you're not alone. Feel free to add me (anyone) if you ever need an accountability buddy.
  • whosaiditwaseasy
    whosaiditwaseasy Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    So glad I came across this thread this morning as I need this kind of support. I lost all my weight at one point, over 150lbs and thought that would help me with my anxiety and depression since being overweight and feeling so bad about myself surely was trigger for my depression, unfortunately my depression and anxiety has continued, and gotten worse in many ways and losing the weight has left me isolated and friendless the past few years, why is still a mystery to me but I guess Im just not cut out for friendships. I would love to add those who have responded to this thread.